1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Baseball telecasts...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Lindy, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've been watching some of the playoffs, and are my eyes deceiving me?

When the camera shows the pitcher from behind he always seems shorter than the trio (batter, catcher, umpire) at home plate, even though the pitcher is closer to the camera.

Are pitchers just naturally short, or is there some kind of video production trick involved.

Or, am I seeing something that isn't really there?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Next game I watch I'll have to pay attention and see if I can tell what you are seeing. My guess is that it is a trick with the angles.

If it was for tonight's game, the Cubs' starting pitcher was 6'4". The Dodgers' starting pitcher was 6'6".

The other pitchers used tonight were 5'11", 6'3", 6'2", and 6'5" for the Cubs and 6'3", 6'2", 6'2", and 5'11" for the Dodgers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

It might just be that my eyes are playing tricks on me. I know the three at home plate are usually not standing at their full height. Even the batter is in somewhat of a crouch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I've never paid attention to how the pitchers appear on TV.

I found it interesting how the cameras make the distance between the PM & HP, and the bases, look so short. A friend from Pakistan who had only seen baseball on TV, was amazed at the actual size of the infield.

5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

It's perspective & camera angle.
    They're of various heights.