1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Beauty Finds, Tips, and Tricks

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by snowy, Nov 23, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Stark is in Naked Basics 2--not unique. Blackout has also been on their list for a while. But it's still a cool set.

There is no Love, Angel, or Music, and that is an issue for me, even if there is a Baby. Also, I can't argue with the color for Harajuku.

2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I just bought a Big Girl curling iron. It's ceramic. And not available at Walmart. The free gift was a deep waver. I have no idea what this is, but it was free. They were out of the flat iron. Ulta kills me. The 5 for $5 is pretty awesome for little gifts. Got some biosilk ( they also had CHI argan oil, but I have a jug of organic stuff at home), some silver glitter nail Polish, and a couple of cute little doodads for the kid. Saved $78 today, ha ha ha.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Unique as in a set. Not all new colors. But a few.

I think it's a very usable palette. More so than any of the Vice palettes or the Urban Spectrum palette. Pretty as it is, I doubt I'd use many of the super bright colors.

4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I had a blast playing with the Benefit pushup gel eyeliner because I'm so bad at it and my eyelids are wrinkly.
    However, apparently I am not only allergic to the eyeliner, but also the makeup remover. Just an FYI to anyone with sensitive skin. It's really cool, though. The applicator makes it easy to get on, I'm just straight-line challenged. I'll keep practicing. After the swelling and discoloration of my eyelids chills out, ha ha ha!

[​IMG]

5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Better! Ulta's sweet and shimmer liquid liner. I like this one much better for control. Don't know how long it'll wear. Naked rest of the eyes because they're still itchy, lol.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. snowy

This bottle is still going strong. I am definitely getting my money's worth.

Recent beauty acquisitions include the LORAC 3 Pro Palette, which I have not had much opportunity to play with, and a bottle of the primer facial oil from Smashbox. I got a sample size in my ipsy bag a couple months ago and fell in love. It's packed with good stuff! Some people may find the lavender oil in it (a very small amount) irritating, so patch test first if you try it. I apply it after my moisturizer, wait a couple minutes for it to sink in, and then apply my sunscreen (Biore Watery Essence). I do my eyebrows while my sunscreen sets.

I've been working on my make-up game for a couple of years now, and as a result, I have found some products that really work for me. Recent replacements (and to be replaced) include: Eden eye primer potion from Urban Decay and Dipbrow from Anastasia Beverly Hills (I could eke 6 more months out of my container with some help from the microwave...we'll see). I will also need a new Brow Wiz before too long (goes hand-in-hand with Dipbrow, also works well on its own, having tried some other eyebrow pencils now, I would never buy anything else). I still swear by Cover Girl's Clump Crusher mascara; I've tried some higher-end mascaras, and none have worked as well.

Also, this tutorial is awesome:

View: https://youtu.be/bFTtbgNdEoI

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  7. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Ok, ladies (and occasional gents): Tell me about waxing. Specifically facial waxing.
    I pluck my own eyebrows, shave my upper lip (only needs it once a month, if that), and pluck stray chin hairs. But I'm starting to think that waxing may be a better option. Is this something I need to go to a salon for, or can I do this at home? If so, what products do you recommend?

8. snowy

Yes, you absolutely can wax at home.

There are three different ways to wax: sugaring (think Nad's), soft wax (the kind with strips), and hard wax (no strips). For your face, I really recommend hard wax. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it's very worth it. Hard wax does not adhere to the skin as much as soft wax (with some exceptions--do not wax, PERIOD, if you are using a retinoid, retinol, or an AHA), so it can be used on the same spot a couple of times to make sure all of the hair gets removed.

There is a microwaveable hard wax from Sally Hansen's that is easy to find (available at Ulta) and reasonably priced: Ouch-Relief Stripless Hard Wax Kit For Face & Body I would ignore the negative product reviews: as I said, there is a learning curve, and the more you practice hard waxing, the better you will get at it. Do not attempt to wax anything but between your eyebrows and your mustache until you have it down. You can easily rip off an entire eyebrow with misapplication of this stuff.

The other product that I would recommend: GiGi - Microwave Tweezeless Wax It can be found at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Since I use a retinol and an AHA, I shave. I have too much hair turning dark along my jawline to wax anymore. Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. genuinemommy

Thank you, Snowy! You're a wealth of information.
    I have dry skin, so I'm curious how the naturally flake-prone nature of my skin might respond to waxing. Can you point me in the direction of waxing resources and tutorials? We have an Ulta in town so once I feel confident that I understand the method, I will find the Sally Hansen's hard wax product you have recommended.

10. snowy

It should be fine. You should exfoliate gently beforehand--I would use a baby washcloth. Afterward, there is an aftercare oil--use it! It's meant to take off any bits of wax you missed, but it also helps with irritation. If you don't like the texture of it, Aquaphor also works great on post-wax facial skin.

This is the tutorial I used to learn how to do it:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgc3QqO_1-M

If you Google "hard wax hair removal" in Google Books, you can read some beautician and aesthetician textbook pages on how hard wax works versus soft wax. It's informative. I found those to be a better resource than trying to read waxing guides in magazines.

• Like Like x 1
  11. genuinemommy

Excellent, thank you!

12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I'll probably be scouting your thread @snowy, as I've had to rethink most of my beauty routine due to moving from the Chicago area to the suburban desert. My very first issue was my hair. The texture has gone from full with body to fine. Changing shampoo and conditioner helped but what I need to do is save up for a water softener system. I stopped using bleach in my hair as well. Am a shade of "mocha," ATM.

I'm in my 50's and dealing with changing skin. I inherited my mom's raccoon eyes and was using an under-eye cover up, which upon seeing it in the harsh light of Arizona, wasn't fooling anyone--it only changed the colour of the circles. Instead, now I wash my face and use a moisturizer and a brightening/de-puffing eye cream with coffee as the active ingredient. I like how it looks and feels. In this harsh, hot climate the last thing I want is another layer on my skin, but I like to look more polished sometimes. I haven't updated my beauty regimen in (ahem) decades and so have been catching up on what is what. Tried a sample of Clinique's superprimer and I love how light it feels and how it renders a smoothness similar to using a creamy foundation, so I'm currently not using foundation at all.
    I skated by all my grown-up life on no mascara or eye shadow--just a pencil eyeliner. Now though, I'm getting "meaty" eyelids with the aging process and so have turned to working on bringing my eyes out. I'm happy with a low-cost buy from Maybelline--The Nudes, 12 shades of eyeshadow. I'm experimenting with makeup much like I did when I first started wearing it. It's quite fun!

• Like Like x 2
  13. snowy

You might consider an Asian beauty regimen--they use a lot of thin layers of things, patted on. They're typically dealing with hot but humid climates. The regimen can be adapted to use Western beauty products.

Megapost: How to Build an Asian Skincare Routine (without Breaking Your Face or Your Wallet) – Fifty Shades of Snail I double-cleanse, use my actives (Stridex red box), use a hydrating toner, pat on a serum (Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum), then lightly pat on a layer of Cerave in the tub (pretty heavy stuff, so I only use a dab).

Even just adding the Hada Labo Gokujyun serum Amazon.com : Hada Labo Rohto Hadalabo Gokujun Hyaluronic Lotion Moist, 5.7 fl. oz. (170ml) : Hyaluronic Acid Nutritional Supplements : Beauty would help up your moisture game without adding too much thickness. The other trick is do your heavier moisturizing at night; I like putting a thin layer of Aquaphor over everything after it's absorbed a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Wow! Many resources. Thank you!
    --- merged: Aug 12, 2016 at 10:26 PM ---

Just adding a bit from personal experience, which does not include waxing.
    When I hit puberty, I found myself with a noticeable mustache. Too embarrassed to discuss hair removal with my Mom, I started shaving it with a razor. Since then, I've tried bleaching and plucking, both of which took too long or lasted not long enough that I returned to shaving, this time using a small Panasonic battery-powered facial razor. While the results don't last very long, it is incredibly fast and easy and leaves a smooth finish with no razor burn. The biggest downside for me in tugging at my skin with plucking is that I managed to overpull my skin in some places and with aging having lost elasticity, I've done permanent damage. I imagine waxing would be done infrequently and so wouldn't involve the repetition that plucking does. Still, going forward I remain wary about over-tugging the skin on my face and neck.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

Seriously, shaving works. There are a lot of myths regarding female facial shaving.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Very true. It took forever for shaving hair on the female face to be acknowledged as something that was normal to do.

17. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

It's probably been mentioned here already...but I just discovered homemade sugar scrubs. Made one today and used it on my legs and HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS, I AM A GOLDEN GOD.

Well, maybe Pale Goddess would be more accurate. Anyway, my legs (and hands, for that matter) feel smooth and soft and amazing. I will definitely be doing this every 2-3 weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

It occurs to me that I could've been a little more detailed. The mix I used:

1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    A few drops of essential oil (I went with lemongrass this time)

Stirred for a few minutes until it was all mixed together...and the urge to taste it was ridiculous. Managed to resist, though :) Got in the shower and washed & conditioned my hair (I don't like our tub for baths, otherwise I would've soaked for a few minutes instead), then slathered the stuff on my legs. Smelled so good. Rinsed, slathered it on again, and shaved. Rinsed. Washed. Applied generous moisturizer upon getting out.

I've also seen it recommended to shave first, but I wasn't sure my semi-sensitive skin could handle that. Legs are still supersoft today, though not quite as smooth. I might experiment with using Nair, but that might be a bit too much for my skin.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Neat!
    It is nice to get a spa-like experience at home. We all deserve pampering. Thanks for sharing the ingredients--other than the essentials oil, they are all in our pantry or fridge at any given time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. snowy

Be really careful with lemon juice. It's a very common irritant.

Sugar makes an okay scrub because it breaks down, but it's not fit for use on the face, or anywhere with softer skin.

Personally, I use a salux towel. Amazon.com : Salux Nylon Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Wash Cloth/Towel - Blue : Bath Mitts And Cloths : Beauty I don't buy the actual salux brand, though; they're cheaper in a three pack at the local store. Less effort, same result--and less mess.

Also, exfoliating will result in a better, more effective shave, so exfoliate first.

• Like Like x 1