1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Beauty Finds, Tips, and Tricks

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by snowy, Nov 23, 2013.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Nope, nothing "scrubby" goes anywhere near my face. I'll have to check out that towel, though I do admit there's a "heh, I MADE this!" feeling that goes along with the scrub that's kinda fun.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Nothing scrubby goes near my face either -- I learned that in the process of trial and error. Many errors later, it is super helpful for me to hear what everyone is trying, so thanks, ladies.
    Sometimes I'm in the mood to make me own. I admit I haven't yet tried a DIY body scrub. Over the winter though, quite possibly. ATM, I use a St. Ives Apricot scrub dupe from the Kroger chain. It is a facial scrub that I've not ever tried on my face, rather I use it on feet, knees, elbows--any rough patches. I squeeze out a quarter-size amount, apply it by hand in the shower and indeed, it is messy.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

That's about the only thing that scrub is good for!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I colour my hair every 5 weeks but by week 3 the new growth begins to show. When I had blond highlights, it did not bother me but now the gray roots near my temple and part defeat the purpose of using colour. Right now is week four prior to my next trip to my stylist and I have have found a miracle in a can, Style Edit root concealer. It does exactly what it is says it does: touches up my color via a quick, precise spray application. It doesn't smell or drip and it blends in well with my existing color-treated hair. I balked a bit at the 12-dollar price tag for "light/medium brown" color, so I'm interested to see how long the 2-ounce can will last. So far, I am thrilled.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Update 1: Got my roots touched-up at the hair place yesterday after using Style Edit to go out in the bright light, not feeling self-conscious about salt and pepper roots on my mocha dye job.

At least a half-can remains, which would price the product down to $6 per 2-week use. I'm fangirling over this because it actually looks good. My dye job is a mix of honey-brown, medium brown and copper-brown -- "mocha."

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

So, I moved to Chiberia and am already feeling the effects of lower humidity. Three weeks ago, I did a ton of research and headed to sephora. I got a trial box of Purity 3-in-1 face wash, Renewed Hope in a Jar, and the matching eye cream from philosophy. This stuff is a life saver. Minimal breakouts that are normal for me whenever I change products. The smell is mild, my itchy-scratchy spots have calmed, and my peely places are almost gone. I typically apply twice a day, once if I don't do much outside. I'm really impressed. If only they did makeup, too. Ha ha ha.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

So, I'd gotten a sample of Living Proof's Fresh Cut split end mender from the Perfect Hair Day line from Sephora awhile back. Loved it. Today, I went to Ulta and grabbed a travel size pack of the PhD shampoo, conditioner, and 5-in-1 styling cream or whatever. In. Love. My hair is softer, virtually no frizz after blow drying, and it's noticably thicker and softer than it's been in awhile. It was $29 for 2oz of each, but I had some points I redeemed for $3 off. I'd been using the Bumble spray thickener styling spritzy thing after my cut and color in November, but it makes it almost too thick and brittle-feeling. I only use styling stuff when I blow dry, just the Redken Anti-Snap or the PhD Fresh Cut leave-ins on a regular basis after I wash. Such a nice surprise to find something that feels natural, smells good, and doesn't leave me looking like I ran around on the carpet in fuzzy socks for an hour. Yessssss!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Such a fan of Naked gloss from Urban Decay but that oh so pretty tube opens up in purses! Grr. Really wish more thought of actual use went into packaging.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 11, 2017 ---
    I keep this one in the car and several of the colors are really nice, loathe the pink though, and one or 2 have just too much fallout. Punk makes a nice eyeliner. :)

9. snowy

My beauty purchases have declined in recent months, largely as I've found some things that really work for me. However, this sunscreen I bought gets rave reviews, not just from me but from a couple of girlfriends too:

View: https://www.amazon.com/Biore-PERFECT-Milk-SPF50-40ml/dp/B00SM99L10/ref=sr_1_11_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1499877364&sr=1-11&keywords=biore

[​IMG]

The picture is bigger than the bottle, but it works very well, and it doesn't take very much to get good coverage because of the formulation--if I applied the 1/4 tsp recommended, it would be WAY too much. I only use Japanese sunscreens on my face, and I've converted several people now. The formulations are very different than facial sunscreen in the United States, and since they usually ship for free from Japan, it's about the same price. As long as I plan ahead for the three weeks it takes to get here, I'm all set :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

@snowy you purchase it on Amazon yes? For facial sunscreen I've been using SPF 40+ that is in my Physicians Formula Organic Wear, Tinted Moisturizer, in Light it is cruelty free and so far has worked well for sunscreen. Say that 5 times fast. ;) Most sunscreen (or sunscreen containing products) break my skin in a small hives and feel like a chemical burn. I will look into this one though!
    Silly me, there was already a link, I just missed it. >.<

• Like Like x 1
  11. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I need to catch up as SO many new products have hit my doorstep that I'm really enjoying. Will try to get to this later today.

However - my skin has gotten dry (thanks middle age) and today I used

O.R.B.'s spray exfoliant which you spray on your face, let it sit for 30 seconds and then rub off. I used Peter Thomas Roth's Mask Tasker to do the rubbing.

After, I used Freeze 24/7's hydrating facial mask for 25 minutes. Holy moly, my face felt nice and moisturized with zero dry patches. Makeup went on like a dream (I use the foundation head for the Clarisonic to apply - works great and is super fast)

When I removed my makeup at the end of the day I applied Dr Jart's Water Fuse Hydro Sleep Mask.

So insanely thrilled with my soft, supple skin.

• Like Like x 1
  12. omega

omega Very Tilted

So as a dude, any makeup I use has to be pretty subtle. When I remember, I will use aveeno face lotion. Especially if I'm not going to be sweating, to keep it out of my eyes. In an effort to get my skin tone more even, I sometimes use Maybelline master prime. As you can see, there is not much difference for my skin. I also don't like my light eyebrows, so I use an eyebrow pencil when I think of it. I use an Almay brow pencil in dark blonde. If you compare the two pics you can see the difference. Again, trying to be subtle. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Hello @RedSneaker ! Some great posts about makeup and products by you here in this thread! :D
    Is the O.R.B.'s spray you mentioned the one by O.R.G. Skincare? Or are they two different companies? Cannot find the former :oops::rolleyes: with my searching, but the latter is cruelty free! :cool:

The Freeze products sound kind of wonderful! I'm eyeing their wrinkle cream as hitting 42 in 10 days. ;)
    Had to look up the Clarisonic and at least currently that baby is way out of price range. Interesting device though!
    Your skin sounds happy and hydrated!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 13, 2017 ---
    You look really sharp! :D Going to have to recommend that lotion to my husband he's bald, w/ goatee, and DRY skin. I have dry skin, and his like the desert.
    Where did you learn to do your brows? I even dye mine and those poor babies are two sad nearly hairless caterpillars. One has a scar through it from my former step-father but the other is not much better. Do you do short strokes with the pencil? Do they need to be sealed with anything?

14. omega

omega Very Tilted

I just bought it a few months ago and tried it out. I take multiple small strokes and rub off the excess with my fingers. I don't want it to be all one color because that would look stenciled in. So I want some natural color to show through, just to look a little more substantial

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

In bed day but after reading this thread thought makeup might be a mood booster. It was indeed. Washed face w/ Yes to Carrots Daily Creme Facial Cleanser (it is drying will try a more moisturizing one once this tube is finished. Followed up w/ Yes to Coconut Ultra Hydrating Micellar Cleansing Water. Tried out Physician's Formula warm Nude Eyes shimmer strips (pencil eyeliners) in copper & bronze. Not sure i used it right though. Will try a darker application and maybe curling eyelashes next time. Have crepey skin on lids so may switch to a liquid liner as would not pull as much. Used my new Buxom waterproof mascara in blackest black on lashes. Tried for normalish pics but it was far more fun to become a snagletoothed Cyclops. I blame Ray Harryhausen. ;)[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

An eyebrow product worth checking out (since you mentioned your desire for eyebrows): Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz. Lots of tutorials online. The Dipbrow, which is what I use, is also great, but it takes a bit more practice. I think they're both products worth the extra cost over drugstore.

@omega welcome to the thread. I love Maybelline's BB cream. I'll have to check out the Master Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Looking it up. Thanks @snowy !

18. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I can see the difference. Great job. Very natural. And brows frame the face perfectly!

19. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Jeez, yes it's O.R.G. My bad. This stuff is fabulous!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Also good is the one from Jane Iredale - it all depends on what kind of brow you like. I prefer a more natural, realistic look, while others enjoy a darker "box brow" or "instagram brow". So many options.

Eyebrow Kit - GreatShape™ Eyebrow Shaping Kit | jane iredale

I get compliments on my brows all the time and it's super easy to use:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1