1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Best Breast (Milk) Pump

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by genuinemommy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Working moms have been depending on breast pumps for decades to relieve a certain lactation-related discomfort. When mommy is here and baby is over there, it is unrealistic to breast feed. But pumping is a healthy alternative to shelling out big bucks for formula. Women have streamlined the process over the years, moving from awkward hand pumps to electric wonders - reducing the time and effort involved with choosing to both breast-feed and work away from baby.

What is the best brand for breast pumps?
    Are all electric pumps made equal, or is one better than the rest?
    What is your opinion about manual pumps?
    Have you tried using dual breast pumps? Does a pumping bra / pump holster help?

I was going to toss my questions about breast pumps into my thread about baby gear, but I figured it's female-biased enough to deserve its own thread. I don't want to discourage guys who are super excited about strollers by making them read about sore nipples.

I want a pump that is functional, fast, and makes the experience as mundane and predictable as possible. Ideally I'd like to get pumping down to a science: a 10-minute break every 2 hours to quickly pump and move on with my work. Boob-only breast feeding simply isn't a possibility for me. Not only does it not match up with my workaholic tendencies and desire to hand off a child to its grandmother for several hours at a time, but it doesn't seem reasonable to keep daddy out of the loop for feedings.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the best brand for breast pumps?
    My working mom friend seems to think that her hand-me-down electric Medela system is the best thing out there. The fact that it survived more than one child before being passed onto her is a good indication that the motor isn't going to burn out quickly, but maybe there are other brands that are just as/ more reliable. I'd love to hear what people have to say.

Are all electric pumps made equal, or is one better than the rest?
    It seems like some of the reviews on less-expensive single electric pumps indicate that the sucking rhythm is unnatural-feeling and that there is often uncomfortable tugging that leaves them with sore nipples. I'm wondering if all high-end pumps are devoid of this issue, or if the rhythm is such that everyone will have a different "favorite".

What is your opinion about manual pumps?
    I can understand the argument that they can be quieter and more portable than electric pumps, but most of the time it seems inefficient. It seems my sister gave up on pumping because she only had access to a hand pump. She viewed pumping as something that was slow and painful, and generally not worth the effort. She would much rather have the child at-hand so she could feed on-command. A couple of her babies would never drink from any bottle, only boob or starve.

Have you tried using dual breast pumps? Does a pumping bra / pump holster help?
    I don't know anyone personally who has done this, so I'm curious how well it works. The contraptions look odd:
    [​IMG]

2. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

For obvious reasons I can only relate vicarious experience. This was this pump my wife had:

Amazon.com: Medela Symphony Breast Pump: Baby

Or at least one remarkably similar. Seemed to be the best bet in terms of sheer effectiveness and ease of use. My wife had no complaints (at least unique to this machine). The hospital rented them for a fee. I don't recall precisely what it was but was on the order of $200 for the entire time we had it. With the health care law changes you might want to check to see if renting one like this is covered by your insurance.

I seem to recall hand pumping was a lot of work - and you're not really going to be able to do something else.

I also don't want to discourage you, but I think it would be prudent to dial back your optimism regarding pumping schedules. One thing I learned for sure is that the process that milk production is anything but clockwork. As always, YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into renting one.
    Yeah, I realize it's unrealistic. That's why I said "ideally". Reality rarely matches up with my aspirations. It's always good to have an unrealistic goal or two in mind. Sometimes such dreams come true.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The Medela Symphony is the best from what I've heard--or whatever Medela makes in general, if you can't find the Symphony. I've had to feed a lot of babies pumped milk, and let me tell you, whatever is efficient is what works when that baby is hungry!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I used a manual pump but it was because it was the only choice I had. It worked just fine. I'm doubtful that a machine could pump out the milk any faster without discomfort but whatever you chose, know that you need to not be in a rush. Your milk, your hormones, stressors--they are all tied together. Bottle feeding a breast fed baby is labour-intensive. Beyond that, sometimes the kid will refuse the bottle. I was in graduate school whilst breastfeeding kid #2 and he would not take the bottle from my spouse. He cried instead. :confused: (The little bugger went from breast straight to sippy cup at age 2.)

I admire your enthusiasm and I hope that all your desires pan out--but the biggest reality check in my life was having kids.

6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Children are the single greatest embodiment of one of Murphy's Laws of Combat: No plan survives first contact with the enemy intact.

7. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

For me, manual was enough to ease discomfort, but not enough to empty to maintain or build supply. Bought a Medela hospital grade and it worked wonders. Suction power does have a bit to do with it - this had 3 settings- but the pattern makes the biggest difference. Dual s great, especially if you find ms right springs a major leak each time ms left is nursed/pumped (and vice versa). I wished i had pumping bras/holsters. I found it difficult to hold 2 pump cups exactly in place at the same time with 1 arm and a knee. The other arm had to be free to turn the machine on. I tried using my toes to turn it on, but couldn't work it. A relative rigged something to hold hers in place, and she pumped hands-free while she drove to and from work. I would have found it too distracting.

This was what I had, hospital grade.
    Amazon.com: Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump w/ Backpack: Baby

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012