1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Biden - How’s he doing?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Jan 16, 2021.

1. kramus

kramus what I might see

I had poorly installed siding lead to a leak problem in my studio, which in turn created black mold. I lost a year to health issues before finding the mold. It cost over $3,000 to clean up. I’ve also had basement floods that triggered a serious emergency response from the insurance people who wanted to get ahead of any possible mold.
    What I’m saying is Texas is going to be black mold central for years to come. I sure hope they get ahead of it, because it (the mold) is going to be horrible come spring.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The White House Is Definitely in Different Hands — The New Yorker

Interesting contrast

Instead of claiming to hire the best and then hire the worst
    Not saying anything...and hire the best for you, which happens to be the best qualified.

AND letting then do their job.

Which is good, because they’ve got a LOT of work to do...

Damn huge mess to clean up
    Support the nation through the crisis and other drama
    And move the ball forward to fix and better the nation...and it’s people.

Hope they don’t expect a life for a few years.
    The expectations of the Executive Office are unreal.
    (been there, done that...truly)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. rogue49

4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I partly blame the Census for some of the mess. They get information from college dorms, so that isn't a big issue. The problem is if students moved back home and were counted there. The census should have asked a question if people had been living in a dorm room in February.

Apartment complexes are a mess too. Even worse when lots of people move in the months before the census got around to checking those who didn't submit their info. But, they should have known from past censuses that they need to ask apartment managers for a list of empty (unrented) apartments on April 1st, with a $500 fine if they don't respond. They also need to give them signs to post on doors, saying to fill it out so it is less work in a few months trying to figure out who was there and asking neighbors for information.

But, I figured that normally, it takes about 6-8 months to finish the census. We are getting close to 6 months in a few weeks for this last one, and there was a higher self-response rate. I thought it should be done by now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rogue49

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It hasn't been 50 days yet since the inauguration, but there will be around 80 million shots administered by Friday in the Biden term. We will see what the 100 day total comes out to, although it will be tricky to figure out how many are fully vaccinated since the J&J vaccine is a single shot. I would guess that it will be around 200 million shots or maybe saying 100 million people fully vaccinated.

Biden did say that everyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one by May, and that is a bold statement with the numbers and scheduling issues in many states. That would probably be closer to 200 million vaccinated. I would hope that we start sending more vaccines to Canada and Mexico too.

8. rogue49

Biden beats his COVID vaccine goal with 100 millionth dose — Axios

Way to go Joe!

But he’s not perfect
    I wish he’d change his opinion on pot.
    Same old Joe: Rebuffing staff who smoked pot fits Biden’s MO

Not that I use often myself, it’s just many do...often enough.
    And it’s would be a great resource for taxes.
    And clearing up the state law mess.

Guess he’ll have to grow to change his perspective
    Like Obama did on other topics.

Nobody is perfect.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

why did he stop the pipeline?

10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Our barely average intelligence Gov. Greg Abbott (Rep) has been in the news demanding that Biden do something about the flood of underage illegal immigrants crossing the border.

It is a major issue with no easy solution.
    That will test Biden, and cause division
    regardless of what action he takes.
    The Anti-Biden crowd (namely Repubs, and
    Pro-Trumpers) will have a field day.

What bothers me about Abbott's whining is how he ignores many of the immigration problems were caused by Trump cramming the illegal immigrants into detention centers and ignoring them. The Border Wall was a bad and extremely expensive joke.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

It goes back to the Obama administration and Trump's reversal of Obama's action.

The Keystone pipeline, being a foreign project in the US, required presidential approval based on recommendations from the State Department after an internal review and analysis.

Obama denied approval for four reasons:
    • The pipeline would not make a meaningful long-term contribution to our economy.
    • The pipeline would not lower gas prices for American consumers.
    • Shipping dirtier crude oil into our country would not increase America’s energy security.
    • America is now a global leader when it comes to taking serious action to fight climate change. And frankly, approving this project would have undercut that global leadership.
    So Keystone resubmitted its proposal to Trump's Dept of State and received approval with little or no analysis.

Biden then reversed the Trump decision in an executive order related to climate change and citing the 2015 report/analysis of Obama's State Department.

Sec. 6. Revoking the March 2019 Permit for the Keystone XL Pipeline. (a) On March 29, 2019, the President granted to TransCanada Keystone Pipeline, L.P. a Presidential permit (the “Permit”) to construct, connect, operate, and maintain pipeline facilities at the international border of the United States and Canada (the “Keystone XL pipeline”), subject to express conditions and potential revocation in the President’s sole discretion. The Permit is hereby revoked in accordance with Article 1(1) of the Permit.​

(b) In 2015, following an exhaustive review, the Department of State and the President determined that approving the proposed Keystone XL pipeline would not serve the U.S. national interest. That analysis, in addition to concluding that the significance of the proposed pipeline for our energy security and economy is limited, stressed that the United States must prioritize the development of a clean energy economy, which will in turn create good jobs. The analysis further concluded that approval of the proposed pipeline would undermine U.S. climate leadership by undercutting the credibility and influence of the United States in urging other countries to take ambitious climate action.​

The Keystone Pipeline was good for Canada's economy but provided no real long term benefits to the US and did present an environmental risk as well as a reversal of US goals to address climate change.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

Will the US every develop, and stick with, an effective and consistent program for alternative energy?

During the '20 elections in Texas numerous Repub candidates used ads saying Biden was going to "destroy" jobs here. There is some (exaggerated) truth to that, but but but we have to move away from fossil fuels.

13. rogue49

Biden Isn’t Talking for a Reason — The Atlantic

Something I’m grateful for.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
    So far, he’s doing just that.

I was worn out after T
    I just want the prez to do their job.

Period, we vote you the most powerful position
    Just get in and work your ass off for a few years.
    Something for the Nation and it’s citizens.
    If not the world, if we have need.

There’s lots a truly important things to do and take care of.
    Talking ain’t one of them.

Actions not words.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

Biden needs to open the detention centers to the media.

And have a workable plan for the influx of underage illegal immigrants.

Talk about a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't situation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. rogue49

He just put VP Harris in charge of the whole thing.
    That will be a good mission.

Certainly not just sitting around and kissing ass...like some we know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The other answer is correct, but I would add that fracking and natural gas needed the price of oil high, so they had an incentive to keep tar sand oil from increasing global supply.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 26, 2021, Original Post Date: Mar 26, 2021 ---

I'll give him his 100+ days to get stuff done without distraction and having to deal with the press. Now, the media wasn't great yesterday in the questions they asked. It was more of a friendly news media foreign policy press conference.

But the question about him running for re-election was good, but worded wrong. It should have been, "Did you learn the lesson from he Obama Era where Obama in 2009 stopped holding rallies and stopped reaching out to volunteers and on-line activists, compared to what happened in 2017 with the constant rallies, propaganda speeches, and highlighting the organizaing people in the base were doing across the country where politicians don't normally go to?"

• Like Like x 2
  17. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

It's a pretty dire situation on the border. It is definitely a crisis no matter what the liberal media says. I'm telling you Biden is not in any condition to run this country.
    They need to put the 25th Amendment into place and put Harris in charge. She has the ability and health.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Chris Noyb

Is Biden any "worse" than Reagan was? I firmly say no.

And Harris has been put in charge of dealing with the border crisis.

One extreme negative is Ted Cruz, with plenty of help from the news media (conservative and liberal), is making himself the Concerned Politician Hounding Biden over the borer crisis. The same Ted Cruz who supported Trump's imagined voter fraud claims, the same Ted Cruz who held up the Electoral College certification AFTER the Capitol Building invasion.

Who, along with the media, is conveniently neglecting to mention that much of our border mess is because of Trump's neglect of the detention centers, not just because his strict policies have been lifted.

I think Biden is going to have to enforce some policies that will upset liberals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Reagan did not start to decline until his 2nd term in office, plus he was not officially diagnosis with Alzheimer's until 5 years after he left office...but we are not talking about Reagan, that is in past. Biden is clearly not in any shape to lead the US.

Another thing I see wrong in your response is you blame Trump on neglect of the detention centers. The need had be resolved with his policies.
    Can you honestly say it is ok to have an open board.

First of all I'm a moderate republican and believe me I did not like most of Trump's policies. I believe a woman has a choice what she does with her body, women's rights.

My main concern is related to the drugs, human trafficking. It's easiest way for drug trafficker's from around the world to bring drugs into the USA.
    Unless you have had a personal experience with how bad drugs are in the USA you probably won't understand why I believe in building the wall.

BTW my favorite two presidents of all time were Reagan and B. Clinton. I would have voted for Harris if she had gotten on the ticket for Pres. :)

So, anyway I feel confident Harris will defiantly take the lead on the board crisis quite well.

20. Chris Noyb

At first I didn't get board (border).

I don't believe in an "open" border.
    I don't believe turning back teenagers is the answer.
    I don't have the answer.

The border wall was a very bad idea from the start, the money could've been better spent elsewhere such as detention centers. Biden inherited a neglected and chaotic border situation. The rush from the southern side is partially on Biden, but the conditions on the northern side already existed.

I'd like to see a solution to human trafficking. I could spend five lifetimes waiting for one, regardless of which party is in control.

The amount of drugs entering the US via means more sophisticated and efficient far exceeds that delivered via human mules. FTR I've seen firsthand what the damage caused by drugs, and the knee-jerk reactions from lawmakers that make the problem worse.