1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest!
The donation button is here.
https://goo.gl/aFggcs
Dismiss Notice
Guest, some new updates and fixes were done. Please let staff know if anything is funky or wonky!!!

Philosophy Bioethics

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by genuinemommy, Nov 7, 2018 at 8:04 PM.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I have started to do some reading up on bioethics.
    I've decided to share what I learn in this thread.
    I will include relevant links.
    If people feel like commenting, and offering dissenting opinions, I would appreciate any and all debate. This is a relatively new area for me to look into. My understanding of philosophy and ethics at this point are limited to a religious context, thanks to a rather large gaping hole in my education. So I'm trying to branch out.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 at 8:26 PM, Original Post Date: Nov 7, 2018 at 8:04 PM ---
    Here is a little light reading on the ethics of requiring sterilization of the crew for a Mars mission.
    Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kid: ethical implications of pregnancy on missions to colonize other planets

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If all of the astronauts are healthy and don't have any viruses, and the spaceship is sterile, do the issues of having lower immune systems even matter? Would they even need to vaccinate kids on Mars, since they won't be exposed to Earth pathogens?

But for the first set of astronauts, I would expect that the women would all have an IUD to prevent pregnancy. And they would probably have some abortion pills just in case. They did raise some good points about not being equipped to handle babies and keeping them safe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other area of bioethics that I am interested in would be the medical testing and last shot experimentation for new treatments in terminal patients. I still have some concerns about how the control groups who are sick, but don't get the new medicine are treated. I would think that medical researchers could use past data from previous patients who had the disease and their outcomes as a control. Now, the doctors might need to keep the patients in the dark as to if they are getting the real medicine or not to avoid the placebo effect and if there is a mental component to getting better.