1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Bombing in Oslo, Norway

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Jul 22, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

wow. what a charmer.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's mindboggling. A violent response to multiculturalism. Sound familiar?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

So much for Christian conservatives stating that it's only Muslim conservatives that kill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

There are nuts on both sides, unfortunately.

6. Charlatan

Let's face it. There are people of all stripes that are willing to kill and/or die for causes in which they believe. This is not going to change. Ever.

For me, the issue is what are we going to do about it? Are we going to completely alter our way of living to try and mitigate the chance that one of these idiots is going to kill us (something that is statistically less probable than dying in a car wreck)? Or are we going to carry on, taking more measured precautions.

Sadly, much of the world has chosen the former over the latter.

7. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I think the difference between Norway's response to this and US' response to 9/11 just shows that Norway lacks a large corporate media apparatus with firm ties to a military industrial complex. Good for them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlatan

Interesting. I would have said it had more to do with stability and support of liberalism in their nation rather than their media... but I suppose one leads to the other.

9. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

You say potato, I say potahto.

Is there a Norway version of Glenn Beck?

10. Charlatan

I don't know. I do know that there is a growing fascist movement throughout Europe.

11. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

The media is giving this guy what he wanted. Publicity and circulation of his material.

12. Charlatan

Interestingly, it isn't getting as far as it would if he'd done this in the US. His court date has been closed to the press.

I can say that none of his vitriol has made it here past the initial incident.

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Again with the double standard, I think. If he were a Muslim extremist with a manifesto, it would be heavily profiled and placed on rotation—globally.

14. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

I was on a short stopover in London as this happened, with a planned cruise to Norway two days away. We had a bit of initial panic for about an hour, but it quickly appeared to be an Oklahoma City-type event, so we continued with our trip. At least where we visited, there was little sign of the event. There was none of the visible patriotism that was all over the US after 9/11. In Stavanger, we weren't allowed into the church, since it was being reserved for the locals mourning the event, and there were memorials stacked up in front of the church. That was the only sign I can recall.

15. Rekna New Member

It has been interesting to watch fox news squirm on this. First they declared it was Muslim terrorists with no evidence. Then it turns out to be a Christian terrorist and they immediately start decrying how we can't blame Christians for the act of one. How crazy can that network get? They blamed fort hood on Muslims because the shooter had a business card which had "Army of Alah" on it which clearly made it an act from all Muslims. This guy writes a huge Christian manifesto and it is an act of one....