1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Bombs went off in Boston

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

If it's the one I'm thinking of (might be a different one, there were a couple incidents like that) I actually listened to that entire event on the police scanner. You are correct, they were extremely worried that he had a suicide vest on. They also felt it was possible that it had a "dead man" switch. They moved everyone about 1000' back at one point, and even drove an armored truck right up next to him so that if there was a blast the truck would take the brunt of it. They are EXTREMELY worried at that moment in time that he was going to detonate something, and the first cops who saw him were claiming he had an electronic device that kept being described as a "possible triggering device" in his hand.

It was probably a cell phone. The poor dude probably just didn't check the news before heading out that morning and didn't realize he was supposed to be on lockdown.

EDIT - May not be the one mixedmedia was talking about that I heard on the scanner. It was way too early in the day for it to be dark there already. What I described happened in the middle of the day.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

So he was on the scene or he just came walking up the street? I'm confused.

3. Borla

After seeing your video I think we are talking about two different instances.

There were several people who got caught wandering around. One of them they were REALLY worked up about for almost an hour (the situation I described above). But I think your guy was later in the day, I didn't hear that part on the feed I was listening to.

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

This had to be before 4:30 am because that's when I was watching it. And it was a loop so it had been filmed before that.

5. Borla

The one I was talking about happened around 11AM Eastern on Friday.

6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Right. I meant Friday, not Thursday. But I got up yesterday morning at 4:30 and had to be watching it by 4:45

7. Borla

Yup, definitely two different instances then. I listened to the one I described live as it happened on the police scanner. So you were watching 6-7 hours prior to that. Weird, I don't hear anything about your guy now. Maybe he was just an innocent bystander caught up in all of the craziness.

8. Borla

I saw that yesterday. It takes a special talent to open the gate that way. :D

9. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Dealing with high winds and snow if you go outside is a little bit different than staring down the barrels of a SWAT team's guns. Or in the unfortunate case of the elderly man, being cuffed, on the ground, and undressed by four robots who didn't even have the courtesy to buy him dinner first.
    I'm laughing with him as much as I'm laughing at him because I've done pretty much the exact same thing (in places I was allowed to be, not trespassing) a few times.

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

11. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

hysteria makes stupid people into cruel and stupid people.

• Like Like x 5

12. well not quite. the younger brothers name dzhokhar is he equivelant of the arabic name Johar or Jawhar, which means 'jewel'. The older brother is named after the muslim 14th century central asian conqueror popularly known as Tamerlane or Tamer the Lame

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Who's "Jahar?"

And it wasn't a picture, it was on a surveillance tape taken from Lord and Taylor. The public hasn't seen it. The public hasn't seen any evidence that proves these two were the bombers. So how can you be so sure?

Wouldn't mind knowing that as well, MM.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I was referring to white Muslims more broadly, and was thinking of the last name in this case (Tsarnaev), which is Slavic, isn't it? Tsar/czar or whatever.

(I'm conscious of the fact that first names are given names rather than family names. I often forget my first name is Hebrew even though my family name is French.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  15. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

16. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I read this yesterday and found myself wondering about the reasoning and motivation behind revealing this information to the public - in this way. Surely it would have been sufficient to simply say that his injuries prevented interrogation now. I'm at a loss to understand why they feel the need to set the public up for the possibility that Tsarnaev may never be able to be questioned without explaining why.

But that's just me wondering about a lot of this right now.

--- merged: Apr 22, 2013 6:01 AM ---
    Perfect spelling.

Don't see that much in America.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  17. and the Bostonian response to the people of Syria

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  18. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

While I certainly advocate not rushing to judgement, I think it's a bit odd for anyone to not believe these kids are the ones responsible. I don't care what religion they practice, where they're from or what they look like, it all boils down to the footage and the ensuing carnage. I just can't wrap my head around any sort of conspiracy theory on this. I mean, really - they just happened to throw pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs and shoot at police and the older brother wears a suicide vest after the public was shown the pictures. That isn't a coincidence. Sorry.

Also, as a parent I understand how a person will not be able to see certain things about their children, but the father in this case irks me. I get it. The war with Russia has caused deep rooted resentment and an unwillingness to move beyond the fight but he should really see that perhaps his kids aren't the angels he believed. Calling cops cowards is one thing but if a person is walking towards me and engaging in a fire fight and has a vest on and has already thrown bombs at me, I'm gonna be shooting to kill as well. :shrug:

I'm actually far more interested in how the administration is going to handle this with Russia. Russia has dirty hands (much as we do) but considering the tragedies they've suffered from the hands of the Chechnyans, I'd say they're well within their rights to want any info we can gather.

19. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

A couple of notes about Chechnya that I think need to be mentioned:

1) If you think that the war there is a recent thing, it's not. The Russians have been fighting there for so long that Tolstoy fought there before he started writing (and later on used his experience there in both War & Peace and one of his greatest short stories "Hadji Murat".)
    2) During the Russian Civil War, the Chechens actively fought against both the Reds and the Whites.
    3) During WWII, the Chechens revolted against the Soviets and suffered mass deportations under Stalin to Kazakhstan. Khrushchev allowed them to move back.

That said, while the Tsarnaev brothers never set foot in Chechnya. They were both born in Dagestan, which is a neighboring region. At the moment it looks like the older brother, Tamarland, may have become a radicalized Muslim in the last couple of years, but that doesn't explain the younger brother.

Glory's Sun, I think that the father's remarks came before the details of the firefight came out. But maybe I'm wrong on that score.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013