1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Books you read over and over (and over) again

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by CinnamonGirl, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've been meaning to check out Feist since falling in love with the video game Betrayal at Krondor (in the golden age of RPGs).

I hear that Feist wrote a lot of crap, but that the Riftwar Saga is good. However, I also hear that the Empire Trilogy is when he really comes into his own (though maybe it was with the help of his co-author, Janny Wurts). Have you tried those ones?

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I haven't read The Empire Trilogy because everything else after the first four riftwar books were pretty dismal. Perhaps I should give them a try.

3. I have read the book "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman about 28 times. I haven't read anything else those many times. The second on my list is a graphic novel series "The Sandman," written by the same man.

4. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

Oh, I forgot about those, they should have been on my list as well. I also like American Gods/Anansi Boys.

5. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, and any audiobooks by Anthony Bourdain.

• Like Like x 1
  6. flat5

flat5 Vertical

7. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

This is the first time I've seen somebody else has read the Gap series by Donaldson. I found these to be incredible. Morn Hyland and Angus Thermopyle being a pair of characters that really stand out. If you liked these then you may really get into Peter Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy.

- Reality Dysfunction
    - Neutron Alchemist
    - The Naked God.

These are all good - especially Al Capone's character.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stick

Stick Vertical

I first read Lord of the Rings in the mid seventies and have reread it many times since.
    All the fantasy novels written by Michael Moorcock - especially the Eternal Champion series - get a regular reread.
    The evil, heartless cruelty aspect of the Elric character seems to resonate with me for some reason.
    His wimpy, crybaby, woe is me, I've-lost-the-woman-I-love aspect, not so much.

9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle*; Slapstick
    George Orwell, 1984*
    Jeanette Winterson, Written on the Body*
    Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
    Susan Cooper, Seaward
    Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

*three of my all-time favorite books

The collection of books I own that I've been meaning to read is far longer than any list of books I have read, at least recently. I need to read more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
    J.D. Salinger - Catcher in the Rye
    Orwell - 1984
    Steven King - The Stand
    Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth

That I can remember...

11. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Oh, I'm so glad to see someone mentioning Susan Cooper!!! I liked Seaward a lot, but I loved The Dark Is Rising pentalogy. Those are some of my all-time favorite books. I go back and re-read them every year, and they are still amazing-- "young adult literature," my ass!

12. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

yes, you should. These three books are probably some of his (their) best work.
    --- merged: Sep 9, 2011 6:58 AM ---
    I've just started reading the Hobbit with my children (as their bedtime story). We have just reached Rivendell :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I missed the obvious one - The uncut version of the Stand. I read that every few years at the very least.

14. Lirpa

Lirpa Vertical

I will second the Phantom Tollbooth and Chronicles of Narnia, and also add L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time and another book from that saga: An Acceptable Time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Love the L'Engle books. If I had them here with me, I'd probably be re-reading them repeatedly. I find myself sucked into them every time I visit my parents' house and wander into their attic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cdwonderful

Cdwonderful Getting Tilted

Stephen Donaldson -- The Gap Series
    William Gibson --- The Sprawl Series

17. retrogunslinger

retrogunslinger Vertical

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis and Shade's Children by Garth Nix have both been torn through several times. The first I'm especially fond of. Call me a sicko, but when he kills the kid in the park and then pretends to be a doctor cracks me up every time.

18. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Oooh, good one. That one's about due for a reread on my part. I remember the first time I read it, I was 14 or 15, on vacation at the beach. My grandpa was worried that it was "too mature" for me. :)

Another good one! My mom got me the huge all-in-one treasury for Christmas one year... I have most of the strips memorized by now, but they STILL make me laugh when I go back to them.

I think I need to add A Dog's Purpose to my list. I only read it for the first time this summer, but I've already reread about three times now. The way Toby/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy talks about his people and fellow pets cracks me up---and it makes me cry, too.

19. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Neuromancer
    Any 007 books
    Lord of the Rings trilogy
    Watchmen
    Battle Royale

20. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

I'm on the Hitchhiker's bandwagon. I have the first five of the trilogy (with bonus Young Zaphod Plays it Safe) in a hard-bound omnibus. Can't get enough of it; I get something new out of it every time. Adams had a narrative style unlike anything else I have read. Two more-or-less related points: 1)the new work by Eoin Colfer is not bad. Kudos for carrying on the work, even if it's just not quite the same. And 2) I lost my Dirk Gently books somewhere in the dust of time and can't find replacements, otherwise they'd be on my Douglas Adams epic-reread list.