1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Business Politics

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, May 31, 2019.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Tell the "capitalists" no more Chapter 11 protection.

Tell the "capitalists" everything they own will be up for grabs should their business venture fail.

We need entrepreneurs, alternatives to mega corps, and even risk takers. But when a "capitalist" can have six (seven?) bankruptcies, with more likely to come, while maintaining $180M to $220M in cash and liquid assets, something is seriously wrong.

^ BTW, NPD Trump is just a glaring and convenient example. The list of misguided Chapter 11 protections is extremely long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Trump's Billionaire Pal Testifies That Trump Was 'Disastrous' for Business

Again...what makes ya think it was good to support T??
    It brings your decision making skills and judgement into question.

He fucks up. Y'know he fucks up. It's obvious he fucks up.
    You keep trying to scam is why you're in court. But you keep trying to scam with IDIOTS helping is why you failed altogether. :oops:

Look in the mirror dude, you're the one who bought a pig in a poke.
    Good luck with that... :rolleyes:

BTW...THIS is what should be happening with ALL associates of T. :mad:
    Justice is inconsistent and slow as a snail in the US. (unless you're poor)

Business lost TRILLIONS because of this corruption. No joke, no exaggeration, No BS. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Chris Noyb

This reminds me of a married person who
    cheats with a cheating spouse who is known for
    being indiscriminate and a homewrecker,
    expecting discretion and fidelity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

5. Chris Noyb

Accused Houston cop killer found not guilty | khou.com

This was a big story locally.

The reports I've read & seen indicate that Soliz had no way of knowing Sgt. Rios was a HPD officer. The jury apparently felt the same way.

BUT the case clearly shows why our judicial system is so heavily criticized. Soliz should've been behind bars, not out on bond.

I'm actually surprised that such a despicable defendant was found not guilty.

People want more police, more courts, swifter justice, harsher punishments, & more prisons. Those same people want tax cuts, & fight tax increases. Guess what? You can only cut social programs so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I find it interesting that they show Sgt Rios in civilian clothing with all his tats out in what I would say is clearly some kind of undercover situation while they show Soliz in uniform.
    That sure looks like the media deciding who is the good guy to me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

I just realized I put my Rios -Soliz post in Business Politics. I should've paid closer attention and posted it in What's Happening?.

8. omega

omega Very Tilted

Only one was a police officer. Sgt Rios. Solis was out on bond for two separate incidents of aggravated assault. This guy also had an extensive prior criminal record and was a member of a violent gang. It sounds like in this situation that he should not have been able to bond out on his current charges. I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, but that fucking Nero haircut deserves the death penalty. Anyone with that haircut is usualy guilty of perversions of nature, like molesting farm animals or pedophilia.

9. Chris Noyb

Easy bonds, & individuals with multiple bonds, is a big issue here in Houston, & Harris County.

Solis should've been sitting in jail, not out driving around (in a Mercedes).

Even with all of the negatives against Solis, the verdict sounds right based on what I've read & heard. Sometimes lowlifes are actually not guilty.

Something else about the case (per Solis' attorney :confused:) : The HPD investigator never interviewed a single witness, they compiled reports, but never went after details. This' odd because there were questions about Rios being in his personal car and wearing a Hawaiian shirt long before the trial happened.

10. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'm an idiot.
    I misunderstood the article.
    Been a stupid week for me.
    Yeah, it looks like a bad situation all the way round.

11. rogue49

Exclusive-Hyundai to divest Alabama subsidiary following child labor revelations

Businesses...if they COULD, they would.
    Even in this day & age.

It's what they think they can get away with.

And it's not just migrants...if they thought they could, they'd do any kid.
    They'd pay less, work more...etc and so on, go back to early industrial scenarios.
    Black coal, no safety, poison and more.

You do need laws and regulations.
    There is no trust and ethics without consequences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

I have to wonder just how far up the chain of command at Hyundai this went. Also will selling their controlling interest in SMART Alabama LLC actually change anything there, or will it return to BAU once the attention dies down?

Using third parties in order to establish plausible deniabilty is a very old trick (I must mention the various Trump enterprises in the hospitality industry). The fact that the "staffing agencies" targeted immigrant children to work at a plant 72% owned by a company HQd in a country will children are frequently used as a form of currency and revenue makes me very suspicious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

SSDD - Irrational Exuberance AKA Greed

Frankly there's tons of crap adding up...
    Thinning out Dodd-Frank, much Warren has warned about, Trump's anti-govt minions tearing up everything or minimizing it and so much more... :rolleyes:

I am a capitalist, but I do realize there has to be checks, consequences and encouragement of a more responsible mindset.
    I like profit and growth...but NOT by any means necessary.

The things they're doing now, it's just a band-aid, throwing money at the problem...kicking the can down the road.
    They need to pull back a lot of the ways things are being done and ask personal responsiblity of the industry.

They didn't learn anything from The Great Recession.
    And they're certainly not worried about being good to the public.

However, it's not going to happen until more consequences.
    The plane has to crash and have deaths before the safety standard is put in place and enforced. - it's just the way of the world.

15. Chris Noyb

Laize Faire.
    Bank failures.
    A great depression.
    The acceptance of tight 'big government' regulations.

Hmm..that sounds familiar.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

Regarding the "old" rating:
    It is "old" in the sense that history is repeating itself. The point being we didn't learn from our past...yet again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rogue49

Court grants Sackler family immunity in exchange for $6 billion opioid settlement — CNN Business

Well, that’s bullshit! :mad:
    This is a fraction of what they’re all worth

How many people died? 500+ thousand!

This is the court at its worst.

How many times will there be a hand-slap in comparison to the profits made over years?

How many times will they let wealthy go free?

Elizabeth Homes just went to prison for 8 years
    For fraud on tech that didn’t get out beyond the FDA
    And certainly much less human impact.
    But SHE screwed over the stockholders.
    That’s the difference.

Nope, doesn’t matter if your fraud killed lots of normal people. :rolleyes:
    You go free, get immunity and keep your money beyond fines.
    Your company goes bankrupt but survives.
    The stockholders will be fine in the long run.

Oh, your family name is removed from place
    Big fuckin’ deal.

Does 8 billion distributed amongst multiple states do much?

Where’s the justice? :oops:

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. omega

omega Very Tilted

At some point people like mr remington are going to start bringing justice to people like this and other billionaires. There will he the dawning realization that all the money in the world won't protect them. Or their families. The calculus will show that billions of unpaid taxes, the twisting of laws to deny health insurance, food security, climate security, and affordable housing comes at a price. And that when they have pushed long enough, the mobility will push back. And a few thousand people will feel the anger of millions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

I wonder if Jack Welch invested in one of the biggest schemes ever?

Automobile dealers sell cars, and repair them.
    Insurance companies insure cars.
    Financial institutions make car loans.

All three collude to keep people in debt on car loans so that the cars has to have full insurance coverage.