1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a new (used) car.. Help/Suggestions appreciated

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Meier_Link, Sep 4, 2012.

1. aabbccbbaa2

aabbccbbaa2 Vertical

the chinese kid is valid for all car companies i'm afraid.
    But i have to agree that honda and toyota are rock solid, I've driven a toyota of 220000km and it didn't let me down for another 40000, then i sold it. I'm driving a honda now for 50000km, never any problems!

2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I dunno - my Buick Enclave runs phenominally well and has yet to have a problem. I've had excellent experiences with Buicks over the years, with the exception of a Skylark that blew a timing belt 500 miles from home. Granted it had 120k miles on it and was 10 years old, so it wasn't something that was all that out of character for any car.

I can't say the same for my Infiniti M35X. Or the Mercedes that I learned to drive with.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

<threadjack>

Goddamnit! You know, I saw this coming. I did. I knew something was off about you. Some hidden life choice that means we can't be friends.

You. You and your kind. Those that willingly drive Buicks. B'yooo-ekz. Perhaps the single greatest sign a human being is ready for the scrap heap.

You and your kind are the reason why Pontiac was deep six'd. Instead of getting a fucking 2012 TransAm with like 500 HP, we get limp dick sedans!

</threadjack>

I need a cigarette.​

• Like Like x 1
  4. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

The Enclave is an SUV, you jackass. And when the choices were minivan or SUV to haul around my crotchfruit, I chose the lesser evil.

Did I ever tell you that I drove it down a gravel road once? True story. It was like off-roading but without any of the ickiness that offroading usually has.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm aware the Enclave is a SUV. Some genius in an Enclave nearly smashed me on my motorcycle. And I'm not talking about your specific vehicle.

6. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Actually its a Crossover. Auto speak for a tall station wagon.

• Like Like x 4
  7. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Such bickering....actually the OP just wanted info about buying a USED FOOKIN" CAR
    I have a nice BMW 06 X5 for sale it's an SAV (sport activity vehicle....)

8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Obviously not @the_jazz. Now if you'd said "Some idiot in an Enclave..."

• Like Like x 1
  9. Meier_Link

Meier_Link New Member

He told me he bought it at one of those "buy here pay here" lots, paid an arm and a leg for it and that he's put ~60,000 miles on it since he's had it. I have the VIN and I could run the CarFAX, it's that just by the point he brought out a salvage title the whole thing started seeming pretty shady to me.. If he had been up front I may have felt differently about the whole thing.

10. DAKA

The fact that he drove it 60,000 miles is a good thing. Always try to buy from someone who has owned the vehicle for a while, you can get a feeling about how it may have been cared for

• Like Like x 1
  11. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Being upfront always makes a buyer trust you more. Yeah, because he failed to mention it in the ad, makes me think he's just trying to get rid of the car. You are better off waiting on something else. Be patient but ask TONS of questions about the car.

12. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

Ahhhh a fellow SAAB owner. You know, they went into bankruptcy late last year and the company that bought them is going to make SAAB exclusively electric now.

With SAAB and Volvo, you can see the differences between GM and Ford. GM owned SAAB and wanted SAAB to just be a name plate change with Opel, but SAAB engineers refused, keeping only 2 models the 9-3 and the 9-5. SAAB had several buyers prepared to buy it, but GM refused to give up any of the SAAB patents they owned, claiming that they would give them to competitors. My feeling is GM was trying to punish SAAB for NOT allowing a "badge" change with Opel.

Ford allowed Volvo to break out and build more than just boxes, they willingly allowed and encouraged Jaguar and Volvo engineers to share info and designs.

Volvo is still in business and thriving better than ever, SAAB is...... wellll..... Ford refused bailout money, GM practically begged for it.

SAAB owners were the second most loyal to the brand (behind Mercedes owners). I strongly suggest watching TOP GEAR's tribute to SAAB on Youtube. Quite interesting, some of their designs.

13. DAKA

Unfortunately my body shop has told me that it is getting hard to get SAAB body parts....long waits for fenders etc. too bad, I remember an early one that I had, mix oil and gas....it generally stunk from oil.....but ran like crazy

14. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Fun fact : Of the cars rated highest on the "Made in America Index" (parts made in US, materials from US, autos assembled in US), four of the top five wear Japanese name plates.

I love when "I hate American made cars" people tell others to buy an Accord or a Camry instead.

The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com

My division sells $9-figures worth of steel annually. Our highest volume customer uses USA made steel, processed at our plant in the USA, sent to USA owned/located metal stampers, who send their parts to a USA located assembly part, where American workers assemble cars with a Japanese name on them. And they are scooped up by people who say "I'm buying this car because American made cars are junk!"

If you expand that view further out, my company (all divisions) sells $10-figures worth of steel annually. Three of the biggest customers use that exact same supply chain set-up to make their vehicles. Two wear Japanese nameplates, one wears a German nameplate. Again, scooped up by people who often are making that specific purchase to avoid unreliable American made cars.

The whole thing cracks me up, especially since so many "American" cars are now becoming the opposite, with large parts and assembly plants in Canada and Mexico. And some people are NOT buying Japanese/German because they are "foreign", but are buying American because they aren't.

The whole quandry is interesting. What makes a car "American" or "foreign"? Is it where most of the shareholders are located? Where the raw materials are sourced? Where the parts are formed? Where the engineering is done? Where most of the labor occurs? Where the final product is assembled? Depending on the answer, your definition of what a domestic/foreign car is may not be so simple. /hijack

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

That wouldn't influence me. I wouldn't buy a car based on how easy/hard it would be to repair after an accident. I've been driving since I was 15 (farm/ranch related and/or to work or school restricted license is available in Kansas at age 15) I've driven a lot of miles, I drive fast (but not stupid) and I've never been involved in an accident, although in college I did have my old car totaled when it got hit hard while it was parked on the street.
    I think that most people just define it (erroneously) by the nameplate that they see on the car.

Interesting that four out of the top five made in USA vehicles carry "foreign" brand names.

I ran across this article -- Subaru Legacy and Outback have been made in USA in Indiana for OVER TWENTY YEARS.
    Subaru marks 25 years at Lafayette, Indiana, plant
    And they make Toyota Camrys under contract at the same Lafayette, IN factory.

Lindy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  16. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

There is a company in Europe that owns the SAAB after market production. The wait should not be that long, I've looked online and have seen all kinds of parts available for SAAB that are affordable and delivery is guaranteed within a week. When I had to replace a rim, I was able to get an authentic SAAB rim for the same year, the day I needed it. (I got the old one repaired, so now i have an emergency tire that is full sized and NOT a donut.

The Ford Focus I had was a 2000 and the parts were far more expensive and harder to find, it was a horrendous car. I had the lugnuts on both rear tires rust off. The driver's side when I was doing 80 MPH on I-77. The car made a horrid noise, it was like an anchor just dropped on my car, I looked out and there was my tire tooling on by me. The passenger side I was lucky in that I had Pep Boys replace that tire and I recognized the noise from the rear and took it elsewhere and sure enough the lugnuts were rusting off. My issue was that Pep Boys never said a word to me about it. I also had the back axle rust off one of the tires and had to get that replaced. The Focus, from FORD was made in Mexico. I swear I will NEVER drive a Mexican made car again. Those parts that rusted should NOT have rusted on a 10 year old car. the mechanics working on it were amazed at how badly that 10 year old car with barely over 100,000 miles was underneath.I put so much money into that car before I sold it, it's amazing.

But I digress....

17. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Guys, "Made in America" = "Will Spontaneously Combust".

OK, all the propaganda aside,
    Really? Such a widely accepted claim and you still think it's erroneous? Chinese food bought down the store, is it American because it was cooked here?

It has to lie in the engineering. I fucking hate GM & Chrystler. American Cars are unreliable. So, it's manufactured and assembled here, cool. Why then do Fords misbehave more often than Toyota's? Is it a numbers game? More Fords = more adverse reports?

I honestly believe there is some sort of planned obsolescence that "American" vehicles incorporate in their engineering. Maybe I am being paranoid, but no Ford, Crystler or GM car has ever treated me right.

18. Borla

Having been in "American" manufacturing for most of the last two decades, having sold to "American" manufacturers for most of that time, including many Fortune 500 brands that virtually everyone would recognize (automotive and otherwise), I can assure you that planned obsolescence is, as you admitted it might be, paranoia. Most of the largest/best American manufacturers hire eastern consultants, benchmark their processes against the best Japanese manufacturers, and hire consultants to help them imitate the best manufacturers in the world.

Just because something is "widely accepted" doesn't mean it's accurate. McDonald's sells more hamburgers than anyone else, and Walmart sells just about more of everything else than anyone else. If you go by volume of sales, that would argue that both are the best in their fields. "Widely accepted" doesn't mean anything.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DAKA

I may be that there is no "planned obsolescence" things are made at a price, and it may be that if "we" took better care of the products, cars for example, they would last a lot longer...consider that most vehicles no longer rust out, compared to 20-30 year ago.!!! The transmissions are so much better and last a LOT longer, mufflers are made from much better (some stainless steel) and last longer....tires last longer....they are much better....and SAFER..
    I can't imagine what it would cost to produce a MUCH MORE LONGER LASTING VEHICLE
    KEEP YOUR VEHICLE WELL MAINTAINED AND CLEAN...IT WILL LAST LONGER

• Like Like x 1
  20. Borla

Amen. A huge portion of what many people consider reliability is actually based on their own driving habits, the way they maintain (or don't maintain) their vehicles mechanically, and even how clean they keep them. Though I'd argue that the cleanliness is usually more a sign of how well they maintain their vehicles, not the cause of problems.

JD Powers recently released their top, most reliable used cars in a wide range of catagories. They ranked 35 major brands (not models, brands). Four of the top ten (Ford, Buick, Cadillac, and Lincoln) were domestic car brands. Here are a few other notables from the "best used car" list:

Best midsized car = Ford Fusion
    Best large car = Buick Lucerne
    Best entry premium car = Lincoln MKZ
    Best compact crossover/SUV = Chevrolet Equinox
    Best midsized crossover/SUV = Ford Explorer

Also mentioned as finalists in various catagories were the Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKX, Ford Ranger, GMC Sierra, and Chevrolet Silverado. These ratings were taken based on 31,000 owners surveyed who had owned their vehicle for at least three years.

I thought this quote from JD Powers' ratings was relevant to our discussion, as it seems that often perception doesn't always match reality:

• Like Like x 1