1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Pointless Ann...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Oct 17, 2013.

?

Should we end Pointless Announcements?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2013.
  1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Depends, see comment

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

winnah!!!winnah!!! chicken dinnah!!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Don't hate him because he's making fat stacks, yo!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Great job genuinegirly , thank you for taking the time to clearly break down what is going on so that we the members, can have a better appreciation of what is on the table regarding The TFP and, with this post, introducing the sub-topic of financing the TFP.

Frankly, I do not like that "our funds to run this place haven't been coming from the membership, certain staff members (not me) have been footing nearly the entire bill."

This is a community and if we cannot support ourselves we will cease to exist.
    I would like a clearer picture of just how much we are not supporting TFP.
    Certainly I wish I could give more but I give what I can. Is everyone who actively participates giving what they can?

This is indelicate but it is truthful. I did not know @unclephil. However, I know and care about people who did know and love him so I respect the desire to memorialize him. I must ask how much the second year of contributing to his fund has impacted what would have gone to the general board? I have zero reference so again, please pardon how indelicate this sounds. If it is negligible, then no matter. From beyond negligible it does matter and I say that as some one who has twice given to the uncle phil fund. I do know I had a choice. However, in the future (especially now that it has been clearly stated that without the large contributions of just a few members the board wouldn't have enough funds to run) I have finished giving to his memorial and will now give to the board--which exists in the now.

In re: advertising. It really couldn't hurt to try it. Frankly, that annoying banner on the home page is advertising of the kind that is so huge and repetitive that I try to ignore it. There are other, more colorful, different sized, smaller click-throughs that would be a painless way for us to support to the board. Advertising targeted to the audience of the particular sub-forum. (I'm not sure if TFP branded items would go much further than a couple dozen buyers as some (many?) of us keep our participation on the down-low.) Certainly, there are other sub-forums that it would be worth a shot. Click-through advertising is hit or miss but it costs nothing but the time it takes to throw up some code to try it out.

Um. Yikes. Hell, no. Unless the community is the one that holds the purse strings.
    This is not a democracy, is what this says to me, which I must say is very unappealing.

4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I keep coming back to this thread, and I keep typing replies and then deleting them, and I keep getting frustrated. And I keep getting reminded of why I took a break from the site in the first place.

So. *deep breath* Seeing PA at the top of the list isn't the problem. It's, as I said earlier, the fact that it's become a "post EVERYTHING" thread. And yes, that IS inhibiting other boards, because the vibe is, "if I post a thread about this, no one will give a shit, but if I put it in Pointless Announcements, everyone will see it and comment on it!" That is the problem. And I can remember complaining about it over the summer, possibly earlier, although I'd have to skim through some old threads to give you an exact date and whether or not others agreed with me.

And since this is the eleventieth time I've deleted and restarted, this is the version y'all get. My head hurts now.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

/threadjack
    I've missed you, CinnamonGirl. Bunches./end threadjack

So, if I understand you, you are taking a leave from The TFP due to how the Pointless Announcement thread is managed/used/mismanaged? Or is there more that you'd be willing to share?
    I remember when you expressed your dislike of videos with no commentary being slapped up on PA and I "liked" your comment because we have videos threads where they should go. And IMO, music is never pointless. It just strikes me as lazy to shove a video in PA without saying why it is a PA. Is it a song struck in your head? Put it in the friggin' thread, then! Music Association? etc. Especially on a smart phone those dumb videos take away the point of PA which is a quick stop and check thread because they take time to load.

Separate (maybe) from what you said, are the extended private convos that go on at times. They are specific people talking to one another--not the community--and I figure they should just IM one another. It's like talking back and forth and there's a third person that you are not inviting into the convo. It just seems rude. It is hard to complain because by it's definition, PA is pointless so I haven't until now really thought to voice my annoyance.

As a side note, one reason I don't start threads is the expectation of me that I will keep the thread going, that I will respond and encourage others to keep responding. My life-work schedule keep shifting and if I have to chose, works wins--so I may go days--even weeks where I simply have no time to attend to a thread I've started.
    My pattern of involvement here over the past two years tends to be heavy usage, then a short dry spell, rinse, repeat. I can't change my life to be a member here. I think I'm a contributing member, a good one. Could I be better? Probably. Couldn't we all?

6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Back at 4.0, we had the "Longest Thread Ever" in Tilted Nonsense, which became Posting Games here. We also had Pointless Announcements, which was a place in Members Playground to be silly.

Then we started over here, with everything fresh. We had PA but it was put in General Discussion and never moved. Honestly, we should have moved it immediately, but that's 20/20 hindsight.

The question about money is completely moot, Fangirl. This is not about money. We're not talking about money. Your donations are appreciated but do not give you any greater or lesser voice than anyone else. Clear enough? Can we put that discussion away now?

I have personally come to a conclusion - PA will continue to exist in some fashion going forward. The thread now may stay open; it may not. We'll see how that goes. But the staff is going to be looking at each and every post there, namely because on the 11th try CinnamonGirl described the problem with that thread. Pointless Announcements is not a sacred cow. Don't get your feelings hurt if we decide that whatever you posted there belongs somewhere else. You should view it as a compliment and have more faith in your ability to post interesting ideas. The new thread today about Football and Breast Cancer is a prime example - there was an interesting discussion there. I hope it grows - but it never belonged in PA. It deserved the chance to grow on its own. In PA, it would be buried under 20,000 other posts quickly.

Hopefully you understand why I feel the way I do and agree that, if nothing else, we're trying to fix the problem. If you can't get that, then why don't YOU get off your fat ass and try doing something other than bitching.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I for one appreciate you sharing those thoughts. Interestingly enough, I asked someone privately a few days ago if they knew if you and Lordeden were doing ok since I hadn't seen much of you for a few weeks. You two are some of the people that I've enjoyed interacting with here.

My comment would be to ask where the vibe is coming from that no one responds if it is outside of PA. Of the twenty threads currently on the first page of the Politics forum, every one has a reply. Eight of them have well over 100 replies. Sixteen of the twenty threads (80%) have nineteen replies or more. To me that is pretty good for a board of this size. In Life and Sexuality you can go back almost thirty threads before you find one that got less than double-digit replies. The vast majority have dozens with several having hundreds of replies. Those are by definition probably our two "heaviest" forums, right? By a cursory glance everyone who is sticking their toe in the water is getting feedback, and quite often they are getting dozens or hundreds of replies. Even in General Discussion you have to go back almost 100 threads to find one lacking a reply, and most get double digit replies, especially when there is a well thought out OP.

As the_jazz has already proven with my "pink helmet" thread that he split out, some of us are just chiming in to PA when we could be making new threads. I am going to try to adjust that somewhat. By the new threads created in the last two days it looks like some others are going to make an attempt as well. I hope that the same is true especially of those who aren't fans of PA. As I said earlier, take responsibility for being what you want TFP to be and I think if you are consistent with it you'll be reasonably pleased with the results (to clarify, that was a general "you", not targeted at anyone specifically). I hope that those who have navigated away from here due to PA shoulder some of the responsibility and start coming back around, because it is enjoyable to have them. Maybe one of the suggestions I made, or a modification of one of them, will allow PA to be less the heart of the discussion and less of an annoyance for those that don't care for it. Most of all I hope no one just throws up their hands in frustration and heads home with their ball, because we all suffer in that scenario.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I was with you until here. Totally should've edited it.

You _did_ tag me so you are at least partially addressing me.

I don't run away for months at a time. I've consistently come back and participated. I did not bring up money until it was introduced, by a moderator no less, into the discussion. And I do think money is part of the issue as money = power. That is my opinion and I'm allowed to express that.

And our opinions were solicited here. I've come back repeatedly to read more of what the community has to say and have responded in kind.

It's my impression that sometimes the community is viewed as a bit of a pain in the arse, a nuisance, as it were, and there comes a time sometimes when a martyr-like attitude is developed for putting up with us. Perhaps it's justified, perhaps taking a break every now and again isn't such a bad idea.

• Like Like x 2
  9. So it's a mismanagement/improper description of the thread not the thread itself. This seems like it could have been remedied by the staff reminding us of the original intention of the thread. Maybe when they see something that could be a good thread, they could suggest that the PA poster create a thread. Or...make one themselves referencing the PA post. Hell, regular members could do this.

Gentle reminders in the Thread either by staff or concerned members would have been better than letting this escalate the way it has. Especially since people are this upset about it.

As members we should all take responsibility instead of complaining in small circles.

This thread has been great. Thank you genuinegirly as it was an OPEN conversation about those who had original issues with the thread's direction and those who post there. without care.

• Like Like x 3
  10. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Lemme leave this here, and I won't say any more about it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Ooooh, touchy, touchy, touchy.:confused: Questions about money are never "completely moot." Though he may choose not to exercise it, he who pays the piper gets to call the tunes, and rightly so. Or, he can walk away and see if someone else will step up. If the money question were moot, you would hardly be so touchy about it, right?

This is personal enough that it is well outside that "bastion of intelligent discussion and respectful disagreement" that you refer to your post #9.

• Like Like x 1
  12. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

-+-{Important TFP Staff Message}-+-
    The TFP's finances are not up for discussion in this thread. Period.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

[Edited to comply with administration directive.]

Yeah, this thread has been pretty darn divisive and it was started in such a good-spirited way. I do believe this will be my last post here in this thread. I was kicked off the old TFP for having too much to say and warned early on here on this incarnation within a month of arriving.

It never should have been about making people feel they are unsafe when they speak up. And rude name calling (versus mutual in jest) is never OK. It is bullying.

14. martian

Look guys, this is quickly getting derailed here. I've know the_jazz long enough that while I'm not particularly interested in performing apologetics for him (nor do I think he needs me to) I do understand that he's making a point in his own prickly way.

We're bringing this into the community because it's something that affects the community. This is how we operate. I don't think anyone thinks the membership of this forum are a burden. We, the admins and moderators, are the members of this forum. We've also been tasked with some additional responsibility, but at no point since the Great Overthrow has this place really resembled a dictatorship in any meaningful fashion.

You know what goes on in the staff forum? Nothing. Jack shit. We ban spammers, we bring potential problem threads to each other's attention and we step in to help mediate when members get into disagreements, as sometimes happens. We do what we can to keep this place tidy and pleasant for everyone, including ourselves. And sometimes we may feel a little unappreciated or overburdened and sometimes that comes out in ways that are less than ideal because yeah, we're people too. What isn't there is some dark cabal overseeing the way the forum operates. We don't make arbitrary decisions about what is or is not acceptable. This is your forum every bit as much as it is mine, or cynthetiq 's or the_jazz 's. It's up to you guys to make sure that it stays healthy and vibrant as much as it is us. It's not appropriate to point fingers and that's not what I'm interested in doing, but I think it's pretty clear that there's a consensus that we have a problem, and that it needs to be addressed. It's not fair for the staff to make this kind of a decision arbitrarily, nor is it fair for the member base to expect that kind of burden to be handled by staff. This is a community, and that's not how we work.

So let's everyone take a deep breath and just try to focus on the topic at hand. Please and thank you.
    --- merged: Oct 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM ---
    Alright. I've come back and I've actually read everything so I feel like I'm in a position to make an intelligent comment now on the actual topic of discussion now rather than this meta-moderation crap that I'm honestly not all that interested in doing (something something go play with my servers).

People are attached to Pointless Announcements and I get why. But it's kind of like fast food. Sometimes you eat fast food. And you know it's bad for you, and you know it's probably going to give you indigestion, and blah blah blah.But it's quick and easy and you're tired or you've had a rough day or you've got a big to-do list so you just do it anyway. But then sometimes when you feel like fast food you go into the kitchen and start cooking, because you know you should. And once you get started and whip something up in thirty minutes and realize that you can make a better meal for cheaper and have it done before the delivery guy could be at your door anyway. And then you feel kind of dumb for wanting fast food.

I don't know if I'm still making sense. I'm pretty tired and I haven't actually eaten so I'm pretty food focused right now.

The point is, I think a lot of the time we come in and we post in Pointless Announcements. And you know, we don't have time and we don't really know what to say and everyone else is so much smarter and what could we add anyway so we just go where it's comfortable. And yeah, that means we're not spending time that we really could quite easily spend in another thread. Because, really? How long does it take to express your opinion on the correct date for Christmas decorations to go up? How long do you need, how much thought are you putting into an opinon on keto? I bet you already have an opinion, and I bet you could express it cogently in five minutes or so. Even a wordy son of a bitch like me can manage a few good posts per day, and I proof read everything.

So here's my proposal, guys. I'm going to suggest that we can take the security blanket away on a trial basis. I can lock the thread and take it away. Not delete it, but just make it invisible. And we can leave it like that for a couple of weeks and see what happens. And, y'know, if it doesn't work out, we can always just go back to the status quo. No harm done.

I'm also wondering if we could see about doing something for more content generation. Like, maybe we can do a topic of the day thing, where members will sign up and moderate a mini-thread on a topic of their choice? I don't know, I'm spitballing. I'm going to see if I can come up with some ideas for new threads because I suck at starting them myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Borla

I'm thinking that just bringing the entire topic to the membership's attention has already adjusted the status quo in a positive direction.

I don't think asking if it should go away, getting ~80% of the votes saying some variation of "no", getting several other practical suggestions for minimizing the impact that are less drastic than taking it away (even temporarily) completely, then taking it away anyway is the best course of action. If that is what was going to happen, I think we as members are better off just being told how it's going to be instead of being asked for our opinion then ignoring the clear majority response. Even the majority that are asking for it to be kept seem to be almost unanimously in favor or ok with an adjusted version of it, and many of us have actively shown that we are willing to try to post outside of PA in a more substantial manner. Why not let that play out for a few weeks first instead?

I would keep the "take it away completely" option (even temporarily) as a much later/last resort. JMHO.

16. martian

I feel like (and let's be clear that this is just my opinion and represents neither a decision nor the staff consensus) if we dont' do something to actually change things, it's not going to stick. Like, we'll all agree that yeah, we need more posts in other places, and we'll do that for a few days, maybe even a week or two, and then we'll just fall back into old habits. That's why I want to move it. But y'know, I'm willing to try it and maybe just loop back in a bit. I'd be okay with that.

17. Borla

I'm not suggesting we do nothing. I'm suggesting, if it is felt action is needed, try one of the "in between" options (or a combination of them) for a while first.

"Useless Chatter" sub-forum that doesn't show up in "Recent Threads" and move PA, and any other appropriate threads (I mentioned several earlier that might qualify) into it.

and/or

Allow people to "opt out" of that forum comletely.

and/or

Ask moderators of forums to hit a quantifiable goal of new discussions started.

and/or

We all try really hard (yeah, you are right, this will not maintain the pace of the last 36 hours, but it might stay above what it has been in recent memory) to drive better discussion in separate threads.

and/or

Whatever other random ideas people have made or the staff might be throwing around.

:cool:

Now go get yourself some food. Or, head over here and I'll feed you some of the chili that's now on the stove. :p

18. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Aww, thank you :)

I took a break because every time I logged in, I would get grumpy and pissed off. The PA thing, and lack of discussion elsewhere was certainly part of it. Not the only part, but that's something to save for another time, I think.

Sure, that's not bad-- but I'm one of the members who doesn't have access to the Politics forum, because frankly, I don't want it. And sure, something like that could be an option with PA. Edited to add: sorry, I forgot the "vibe" part of that-- it seems like someone actually SAID that, maybe in chat, maybe not, and I started noticing a pattern. I, personally, have posted a couple threads that no one cared about--and I really do understand that the subject matter was not interesting to most people here. But I could post something general about the same subject in PA, and get "better" responses.

Back to general observations that have nothing to do with anyone specifically: it honestly kind of worries me (and yes, irks me) that people are so worked up over the possibility of losing a thread that doesn't really add anything to the site. I really don't see why it would be such a big deal to move it to Games. How hard is it to post twice, and then frolic all you'd like in the Pointless Announcements Meadow?

And also, I really, really like the food analogy. But that might be because I'm starving right now.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Borla

Maybe my perspective is off, but I don't think anyone is getting worked up. I think the discussion in general is actually kind of partially fulfilling what everyone is complaining is lacking.

I know part of the reason that I'm replying so much is because I love these types of discussions the same way some people love politics, social issues, economics, or finding content for the various themed threads in Posting Games. One of my primary hobbies the last 10-12 years has been running message boards, mostly large and volatile ones. This is the first time in a LONG time that I've been on the user side of one of these discussions, and I'm actually enjoying the back and forth. It's a bit of a new challenge/experience for me to express my feelings without knowing I can force my way in the end anyway. :p Not that I'm debating just to debate, but that I am enjoying taking in everyone's thoughts and inputs and trying to figure out what I would do if it were my call. If anything, from how I see it, people actually choosing to leave the board because one thread and its perceived effects was annoying them so much is a stronger reaction than having the discussion that is taking place currently in here. I'm not saying it is a wrong action by any means, but I think it is a stronger one. I think that there is definitely merit on both sides of the argument, and that's why I think a choice somewhere in the middle is best for the board. But for me personally, I am not worked up about it, I just have a habit of over-communicating when it comes to crafting message board policy. I used the term "message board nerd" earlier without any real thought behind it, but it is kind of true in the same way other people nerd out over other various topics. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Yeah, I have to admit I smirk a little when folks talk about this thread getting too heated. That there perception, in my opinion, is also part of what has gone wrong at this site. Simply put, you can't have a good discussion if everyone sits around patting each other on the back and validating each other's right to an opinion all the time. Good discussion calls for a certain amount of passionate discord among varying viewpoints that doesn't end in pouting and hurt feelings. That means not being afraid to say what you think and not getting butt hurt when someone doesn't agree with you.

• Like Like x 4