1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all Nikon fans

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Ice|Burn, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

Nikon is having their annual August press conference on the 24th of this month. Historically this is when they have launched new products. The D700, D300, and even the D3 were announced in August in years past.

So based on what you've been reading, or even hoping for; what do you think Nikon will announce?

I'm going with the D700 replacement (maybe D800) as it's currently their oldest model and it's sold out at every online an brick and mortar outlet the world over.

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I have the now discontinued Nikon D50 and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon. It works fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

I have a D80 currently, but have been lusting after full frame for over a year now. That's why I'm really hoping the announce the D700 replacement.

4. ring

ring

The D60 is going on four years old. My first digital camera.
    I remember the day I walked into the camera store with my old Olympus om-2s & asked the
    nice man behind the counter, how much it would cost to have a similar quality camera in digital.
    He grinned and replied, "about two grand, roughly."
    I stifled a gasp. He laughed & said, "Yeah, I know."
    This nice guy about the same age as me...late forties early fifties, spent a lot of time explaining
    the different brands' pros & cons and steered me towards the Nikon I could afford at that time.

I'm glad I chose the Nikon. I hope to get at least one other lens.
    May your lustful wishes come true for you, Ice-Burn. Would like to see some of your photos.

5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'll be watching; but I'm still growing into my D200. The DX format works fine for me, any limitations are way beyond anything I do.

6. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I traded up (sold on e-bay) my NIKON D40 and bought a NIKON D3100...actually the only reason was for the "live" screen feature.
    I have been taking pictures (as opposed to being a photographer) for a long time and I think that some people get carried away with having the latest greatest stuff...a lot of overkill
    As a carry around camera, we use a SAMSUNG HZ30W, a neat little pocket camera with a great zoom.

7. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I bought the D3100 earlier this year and also got the 55-300 lense. I absolutely love it. I really need to take a course though to get the most out of it - I am a total DSLR beginner and only every had point and shoots before.

8. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I'm not a Nikon shooter, but I'm excited to see what they'll release. The D700 is a damn good camera and what I assume will be the D800 is going to set the bar even higher.

9. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I only have a D40 but it does the job for me.
    The live screen feature sounds good. The wife is always holding the camera at arms length because she doesn't like looking through the view finder (no idea why but knowing her its something that makes no sense) so it would cut down on the number of Batman camera angles I have to straighten out.

10. kejago New Member

I have the D700... next lens: A macro lens. At the moment, I use the f2.8 24-70 for everything. After that: f2.8 70-210. I enjoy low light and night photography, so the D700 with the fast lenses is a good combination.

11. Cernunnos

Cernunnos Vertical

I still use an old D40 as my primary camera, due to its compact size and minimal weight. This allows me to carry it on hikes without feeling encumbered. Whatever product is announced, I doubt that I'll purchase it any time soon.

12. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

*sigh* The big reveal was a bunch of Coolpix point and shoots. The P7100 looks like it might be interesting in that you have a lot more control over your images in the camera versus a regular point and shoot, but at 10MP I'm...underwhelmed. 14 to 16 would have been better.

Oh well, guess I have to keep waiting for the D700 replacement. :(

13. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

I've switched over to a D7000 about 6 months ago. Still not sure if switching over to the dark side was the right move. I still miss my 40D.

:confused:

14. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

Well you know what they say: "Come over to the dark side, we have cookies."

I've read a lot of fanboi articles and a lot of fact based article comparing Nikon with Canon. Basically they are on the same level. One does this a little better than the other, the other does that a little better than one.... It goes on and on. I made my choice because of Nikon's glass. I've always heard for years and years how good the quality of Nikon glass is so that made my decision right there. I love the hell out of my D80 and can't wait to have enough saved up for an FX (full frame) model.

15. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

I like my D7000, but I miss some of the controls of my 40D, and the 40D felt "beefier" I guess. When I bought the D7000, I was also considering the Canon 7D, but I picked the Nikon based on better high ISO performance. Now I'm facing a change in my job, so I won't be shooting concerts anymore. Now I'm toying with the idea of switching back to the 7D.

I dunno...

16. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My main reason for choosing Canon for my first DSLR was simple. I had purchased the G2 back in 2002 and liked that well enough (at the time it actually cost $150 more than the Rebel did in 2009)
    Now I am looking at lenses and will likely just stay with this side of the fence, makes no real difference to me if my camera equipment has 'Canon' or 'Nikon' on it as long as it works. And no one is paying to me to appear on television commercials to pitch Nikon products like that Kelso fellow.

17. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

More megapickles does not mean better. At 10MP on the tiny sensor, you're way past the diffraction limit at your widest aperture. Sensor technology has improved drastically, but you can't get around physical limitations and a 4 or 5 MP sensor with current technology would be ideal. Even scaled up it's bad, I currently shoot Canon but if I had the money to make the jump to Nikon I would probably switch because they haven't bought into the megapixel race. Once you get past a few MP, bigger pixels will beat more pixels every time.
    Canon is the clear winner for point and shoot market overall and with the S90/S95 at the top, they're both pretty much equal on entry level SLR tech, and Nikon currently has the slight lead for high end sensors. It would be pointless to nitpick differences between Nikon and Canon glass.