1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Camping Recipes

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Wrap up some Yukon Gold potatoes in foil and place them in the coals.
    After an hour or so pull them out and do a rough chop.
    Cut up one large onion and garlic to taste.
    Thin slice a couple of pounds of reindeer sausage and start sautéing them.
    Add the onion and garlic.
    Pour in some Guinness for flavor.
    Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper.

• Like Like x 3
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This time I made foil meal pods. The key is keeping the packets small and folding them properly so they are super sturdy.
    I also pre-cooked eggs and meats to reduce the chance of food-borne illness.

Breakfasts: fried egg, hash brown, swiss cheese and hot sauce (add sausage for hubby). Dinners: half a black bean veggie burger topped with frozen mixed veggies (sub chicken tenders for hubby). They were super quick to toss together. Plus with these you can leave them in the freezer for a few days before the trip to prevent the hassle of last- minute prep

Tutorial on proper folding technique...
    Folding a Mealpod foil packet:
    View: http://youtu.be/CyBKA6Dl2D8

• Like Like x 2
  3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

That "boil water in a paper cup" trick, will that work on an electric spiral element stove-top?

5. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Found! You rock. Maybe I'll actually try camping again...

Tho it's long been said that my idea of "roughing it" is a night at the Ritz. So, no promises. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

You don't need to try camping to eat Tasty Bites. They make a great lunch.

7. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Haha, I know. I bought 2 kinds today.

But all this talk about the love of camping makes me think maybe I did it wrong...

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

The gear makes all the difference. Having a good sleeping bag that will actually keep you snug and warm and a camping pad that will keep you off the ground and cozy is so important. I thought I disliked camping too until I had those things and a tent that kept me well out of the rain. A Coleman doesn't have a fly that can really stand up to the PacNW 3/4 seasons--it's fine for summer, but only if it's not raining.

9. snowy

Serious Eats had this piece on camping food:
    How to Pack For the Most Delicious Camping Trip Ever | Serious Eats

Which in turn led me to this one:
    25 Great Recipes for Camping | Serious Eats

This recipe is similar to something we do regularly: Healthy & Delicious: Blue Cheese Portobello Mushroom Burgers | Serious Eats : Recipes I buy portobellos at Costco when they have them as we eat them at least once a week stuffed with various cheeses (chevre, Brie, blue, Gorgonzola, feta, and fresh mozz all work well, but any melty cheese will do).

10. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I go camping with my dad usually once a summer. He's a little spoiled and likes camping at state parks with basic electricity at each site, and I since I'm fine either way I never complain about it.

We started bring a small induction cooktop, and it's amazing. The cooktop itself doesn't get hot because it's induction, so it makes storing and packing quickly really easy. This obviously opens our cooking options up pretty well. Last time, we made a lot of meals in it to compliment what went in the fire (baked potatoes, corn on the cob, hot dogs...). It was great for frying eggs for breakfast, cooking up corned beef hash, making burgers, cooking meat, heating up things like soup and hash browns, and the list goes on. I highly recommend it if you're somewhere with electricity.

[​IMG]
    The one we use.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

We're getting one, mostly because I'm tired of cooking on electric, and I admit that I sold it to my husband by saying we could take it car camping.

12. GeneticShift

It's awesome!

Make sure you get the right cookware though. We learned a nice tip from the lady at the cookware store. Most of the cookware that's sold specifically for induction is super expensive just for the name. Bring a magnet to the store with you, and any pan/pot that the magnet sticks to, it will work on the cooktop. You might already know that, but if you don't, it might save you some money and heartache. :)

13. snowy

Stupid easy and delicious camping meals that require only boiling 1 pot of water:

Heat up one Vegetable Korma Tasty Bite. Cook 1 package of ramen noodles. Drain the noodles most of the way; season a bit with the seasoning packet. Pour on the vegetable korma. Stir. Eat.

Heat up one Madras Lentils Tasty Bite (now available at Costco). Make 1 package butter and herb instant mashed potatoes. Pour the Madras lentils over the mashed potatoes. Eat.

14. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

So, the ones on infomercials actually work?

15. GeneticShift

YES.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I know a lot of professional chefs that swear by induction elements.

17. snowy

We're going camping with friends next weekend and I'm excited to get to try out some new camping recipes. I promised there would be lots of good food to eat, so I have to follow through!

What do you like to eat when camping?

18. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We never got carried away with "recipes" specifically for camping. A simple hibachi and a Coleman stove worked for us. Potatoes & onions wrapped in foil cooked in the coals, meat grilled over the coals, and a canned veggie heated in a pan on the Coleman. Not real exciting, but just fine for camping.

My wife did a learn a cool trick from some friends--frying canned biscuits in bacon grease.