1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Cash For Clunkers Revisited

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by samcol, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I think that's a red herring.

This is short-sighted, impractical, and somewhat ignorant.

What about loveless marriages resulting from accidental pregnancies? (What about the failure of abstinence-only programs? What about anti-abortion policies?)
    What about gay and lesbian parents? (What about anti-gay policies?)
    What about freedom? (You can't force both parents to give a shit about their children, or their spouse, or their baby's parent.)

The traditional family structure is no longer the norm. Part of this is due to the failures and deterioration of religious and patriarchal institutions within a modern context.

The traditional family as the cookie cutter mould for all families to ensure a better society is both mythological and impractical. (History reveals this.)

No one denies that children are better off being raised by loving couples, but much of what conservatives value is as much an impediment to this as it is helpful, if any semblance of balance can be found.

Single mothers and gay couples are guilty of child abuse? Yeah, that's helpful.

This is why public transportation needs to be improved.

2. redux

redux Very Tilted

Equal opportunity in the military is a result of government intervention...an executive order by Harry Truman.

I am talking about the fact that the Bush tax cuts on the top bracket did little to stimulate the economy but did quite a bit to contribute to greater income inequality and the debt.

The solution to the problems with the education system is education reform (including funding reform), primarily at the state level which is why I believe that Obama's Race to the Top program is a better approach than No Child Left Behind.
    --- merged: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM ---
    Ace...will you ever provide evidence or data to support your ideological position(s) or just more anecdotes about your neighbors and family?
    --- merged: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM ---
    To give you a personal perspective on federally funded, but state developed, education reform, read the North Carolina Race to the Top plan.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013