1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Cheese

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by AlwaysCurious, Jun 26, 2014.

1. AlwaysCurious

AlwaysCurious Vertical

This is something I've noticed from tv, anyway; in America, France, Italy, etc, its normal to know of, use, and LIKE sooo many types of cheese, whereas here in Britain, its mostly just cheddar cheese, red Leicester, and maybe then posh cheeses around Christmas, when it becomes sort of "in" to have a cheese board with your wine, e.g. Stilton if you're brave enough, blue cheese, and maybe locally made cheeses.

I want to experiment with cheeses, and not be the typical mindless grocery shopper, but i don't know where to start.

So, esteemed, knowledgeable people of the TFP, bestow upon me your knowledge of cheeses!
    :p

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Hey, I was actually a cheesemonger in a past life! If you tell me what kind of flavors you like, or what you're looking to pair the cheese with, I'll have a few recommendations. Do you generally prefer mild or sharp cheeses? Funky or not? Hard or soft? Creamy?

Here's a pretty good infographic on cheese that may help you on your exploration of cheese: Cheese Flavors: Every Kind You Need To Know (INFOGRAPHIC)

Personally, I love cheese, and will eat most any cheese. Some particular favorites of mine (probably not available where you are) are Crater Lake Blue from Rogue Creamery, Mt. Tam from Cowgirl Creamery, and Humboldt Fog from Cypress Grove. Some that may be available where you are, or more general cheeses to look for, are Delice de Bourgogne (Délice de Bourgogne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Camembert (Camembert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Gruyere (Gruyère cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and Roquefort (Roquefort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

My everyday cheeses in the fridge right now: a fresh mozzarella from Murray's, a giant thing of feta from President, Tillamook cheddar, a wedge of brie from Boar's Head, plain ricotta, and part-skim mozz.

3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I love cheeses, though I don't care much for blue cheeses. There is a great cheese dairy in, of all places, Indiana, that we get cheeses from when we can. Otherwise, I get my cheeses mostly imported from overseas.

I do enjoy a good cheddar-- the Welsh seem to consistently make good cheddars, I have noticed. I like Red Leicester, too, though it's rather hard to find here. But I mostly get French and Italian cheeses. I do have a bit of a weakness for good Brie, and its cousin, Delice de Bourgogne: I like them spread on bread, with sliced strawberries that have been sprinkled with balsamic. Comte and Sainte Nectaire are both great cheeses, as are Tomme, Chaumes, and Chaubier. Mont des Cats is hard to find, but good. Saint Paulin and Port Salut are both good, too. Asiago is nice, and buffalo mozzarella. Taleggio. Mortarat. Castelmagno. Spressa delle Giudicarie: hard to find, but very good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My favourite - Tillamook Cheddar. Grew up with that in the refrigerator and the main option I buy still. A good pepperjack is my second choice.
    Back in my younger years my youth group took a trip to the Oregon coast (an hour drive or so), and we drove past the Tilamook Hangars when both were still intact and storing hay. That was likely not that long before the fire in 1992 (if memory serves) that destroyed one of them and led to the eventual creation of the Aircraft museum they have in the surviving one now.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Old/Fort

6. snowy

Digging up this old thread.

I made a cheese plate last night for a family dinner. I love putting together a good cheese plate. I've learned a lot from watching Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, put together cheese plates on her show.

On the plate last night:
    A cave aged Bleu
    Saint Andre Saint-André cheese - Wikipedia
    Iberico Around The World Cheese: Spanish Iberico Cheese
    Candied pecans
    Dried cranberries
    Grapes
    Sliced Bosc pears
    Fig crackers

It was a masterpiece, if I do say so myself, and everyone was very enthusiastic about my choices. My mother in law asked how I choose my cheese, but it was kind of hard to explain; my husband tried to describe the "zen" mode I go into when facing a cheese case with 100 possibilities of different tastes and textures. She had brought some cheese in case I didn't have a cheese plate, and I can say that the first place to start is quality. She wanted to know why my cheese plates are always better than hers, and it was an honest question, but I didn't have the heart to tell her that it's because I buy decent crackers (not Ritz), and I don't buy process cheese product (she brought a smoked "Gouda and a "Gruyere" that were both processed cheese, along with a hunk of Jarlsberg). I also try to hit multiple flavor notes (as opposed to just nutty, as her choices would), as well as textures. But I think I'm just going to be making all the cheese plates from here on out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

@snowy, that sound delicious!

My wife is a cheese addict.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

More cheese please! :D

Seriously, I love cheese.
    Even Kraft American

Brie (has to be super soft)
    Blue cheese
    Camembert
    Mozzarella
    Swiss
    Provolone
    Muenster
    Monterey Jack
    etc and so on...too many to list :)

There are some I don't favor Feta, Ricotta, Goat
    But pretty much almost every cheese I'll enjoy.

And any meal that adds it. :cool:

** The Very Best Cheese: Ranker

9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

My very late lunch/afternoon snack included Kerrygold Ballyshannon white cheese, very sharp white cheddar, from Ireland. And some large and juicy, but not particularly flavorful, white seedless grapes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

Definitely planning on having just cheese, wine, and accoutrements for dinner one night this week. I am going to splash out on Mt. Tam for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I just bought a nice looking half wheel of Bond-Ost, after trying a couple of free samples at the store.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lindy

I like the caraway cheeses, but has anyone seen any cheeses with cumin seeds?

13. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Sliced thin American New York Cheese!

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Yes! I can't remember which one, but I'll. Look when I get to Whole Foods today. It's delish. I miss Red Dragon the most. Mustard seeds and a few other things. Y Fenni cheese - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

Yep. I'll see if they have one at the fancy cheese place I go later today, but I've definitely seen one.

16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Found one! This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it definitely has a sting cumin component. I think there might be caraway as well, though. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lindy

It's complicated by (I've been told) some places in Europe that refer to caraway as cumin. There's a cheese called cuminost that has caraway seeds.

18. Lindy

I found this - or something similar - at Fareway Meat Market cheese section. A Holland import branded Orange Windmill. Seems hard for a gouda, more like an emmenthaler. But I like it.

19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

British cheese is amazing. If you get to London, go to Borough Market and visit Neal's Yard Dairy. They will give you free samples. They have a wide range of British cheese that will rock your socks.

I go every time I visit London.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lindy

ShreddedGrate.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1