1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Pratt explaining what hunting feels like. Good for non-hunters to watch.

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by Borla, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

For most hunters that I know, one of the most difficult things to clearly explain to non-hunters is the complete range of emotions, appreciation, and respect that are felt when hunting. I think that many non-hunters view it simply as killing, while most hunters that I know (there are admittedly, and sadly IMO, exceptions) view it in a completely different light.

Please watch this 2 min video of Chris Pratt explaining his feelings on hunting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glz7zzKbfhA

He nailed it. First, the awesomeness that is nature when you are out there. Especially with something like deer or turkey hunting, where you set up before dawn and then work to be as still and quiet as possible. It is an amazing experience to sit and watch nature wake up in the morning. To watch animals go about their instinctual behavior without knowing you are there. It's a feeling that is hard to describe, but listening to him and seeing the emotion in his face you can get a small taste of it.

Like he said, much/most of the time you don't even get anything, so the majority of your day is just spent watching nature. However, if you do get something, there is a remorse and profound respect for the life. At least there is for me, even knowing I'm going to do all I can to maximize the use of that animal.

Finally, there is the work involved in processing the food. The feeling of having done the literal work that it took to put food in your freezer. And though he doesn't mention it, the satisfaction that the meat I got myself probably lived a better life, and died more suddenly and peacefully, than the meat at the grocery store.

I know not everyone agrees with hunting, and that's okay. Truthfully, I have a hard time seeing how people who still eat meat disagree with hunting for ethical reasons, but they are entitled to that. Someone who disagrees with it AND is a vegan, or at least a vegetarian, I feel is making a more understandable stand. However, I think that video really explains well that there are so many other factors, feelings, and rewards to hunting than most non-hunters may easily grasp.

Thoughts on his video?
    Your personal feelings on hunting?
    For the handful of hunters here, do you agree with his description?

• Like Like x 1
  2. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 gr. of diplomacy

I'm 61 and have been a hunter since I was 12 years old. Pratt did indeed nail it. I can't begin to count the number of times I've parked my ass on a frozen stump in the predawn hours, waiting for the sun to come up and bring feeling back to my fingers and toes, only to arrive back in camp later that day with nothing to show for it. Even so, ever single trip out was a thing of beauty. The glow of the morning sun slowly driving off the starry sky, the wind in the trees and (occasionally) the sound of a nearby stream babbling mindlessly. It was absolute peace and I wouldn't trade any of those experiences for anything in the world!

• Like Like x 1