1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Christmas Cookies

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Dec 5, 2011.

1. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

Yum.... does the pepper get dulled down much? Sounds delicious but not sure if i could handle the heat!

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

aquafox, having received some of Miss noodle 's wonderful spice cookies, no, it does not. Those spice cookies are amaaaaazing.

3. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I'm now in charge of a whole weeks worth of Xmas cooking.

fuck.me.

fuckers won't even pony up some $ to help out... I think I'll create a menu and price accordingly.

oh. right. cookies... sorry.

All my cookies are German - the people eating them are British. It's all rather... funny. Wife's gma was a nurse in WWII... she hates Germans... which means she hates me, but she'll shove those cookies like Plan9 shovels shit.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

No, my cookies puff up, then settle down quite flat. They're more crisp with a little chewy than cakey or lighter. They are typically no thicker than 1/3" and maybe 2" in diameter. Because they're flatter and crisper, the pepper tends to literally *snap*. I use maybe 1/8 tsp of true habanero flakes. They have candied ginger and black pepper in them, too. I'll see if I can find the recipe... my recipe book is assploding with printed papers.

5. Random McRandom

Next time I hit the J-Ville area, there better be some cookies waitin' for me. Somethin' has to make me feel better about being back in that state...

I'm lookin' at you noodle

6. snowy

Both my husband and I went crazy for the spice cookies and argued over who got to eat the last one, Glory's Sun. Soooo goood.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Bitch, please.
    Only iffin I can has gramma's pfeffernüsse recipe.

8. Random McRandom

You gon' get me killed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

Well, I made the Gran Mariner Balls and finished them with a little kosher salt. Took them to a cookie exchange as "JT's Chocolate Salty Balls" along with the Bacon Oatmeal Butterscotch cookies. They were a hit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. snowy

Chocolate and salt go super well together.

This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, by Jacques Torres and featured in the NYTimes:

I usually just use my regular chocolate choice--Guittard 63% Extra Dark. I also like to scoop my cookies very small. They end up being about 1.5 inches in diameter. Everybody likes tiny cookies.

11. snowy

Making all the classics today. Oooh, the timer just went off!

12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Accidentally tipped too much habanero into the snaps last night. But they were gooooood with coffee or tea.

13. snowy

Only a few more days...

• Like Like x 1
  14. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Tried these for the first time last Christmas, and they were very good

Gingered Sugar Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling dough
    1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces), preferably Pillsbury or Gold Medal
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon table salt
    2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons m inced crystallized ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 . In food processor, process 1 /2 cup sugar and fresh ginger until combined, about 10 seconds; set aside for rolling.

2 . Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.

3 . Beat butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy , about 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl with rubber
    spatula as needed. Add egg, crystallized ginger, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.

4. Place ginger sugar for rolling in shallow bowl. Wet hands before rolling the dough. Roll heaping tablespoon dough into 1 1 /2 -inch ball between moistened palms; roll ball in ginger sugar, then place on prepared baking sheet. Space the balls about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Using a butter wrapper, butter bottom of drinking glass; dip bottom of glass in remaining ginger sugar and flatten dough balls with bottom of glass until dough is about 3 /4 inch thick.

5. Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges and just set and very lightly colored in center, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet about 3 minutes; transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

15. snowy

I'm doing my baking today. Gotta run to the store in a bit and pick up some things I forgot while shopping yesterday (d'oh).

16. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I made cookies all day. Smells good in the house.

17. redux

redux Very Tilted

My niece promised to make me something sweet for the last night of Hanukkah from Johnny Luzinni's cookbook, Sugar Rush, that I gave her for Hanukkah.

She crushes big time on Johnny.

• Like Like x 1