1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Clapton is God

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Fremen, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Quick question...
    Is this the original image of the graffiti-ed wall in England?

[​IMG]

It's the one that shows up most in Google Image Search, but I wanted to make sure, so I'm asking the people that were alive back then (60's) and the more knowledgeable music lovers on here.

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

Following his departure from the Yardbirds, Eric briefly joined John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, in April of 1965. It was during this period that "Clapton is God" graffiti began appearing around London, painted by his devoted fans. The debut album from the Bluesbreakers was released in 1966 and rose into the Top Ten on the charts.

Here's another version:

[​IMG]

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I can't help you with the artwork, but I can tell you that I've seen him twice in concert and it's well worth it. :cool:

4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Thank you, guys. Definitely one of the few people I'd like to see in concert.

5. Fly

Fly music is the answer

can't help ya' Fre but......'ol slow hand is god..........

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think it is. I have a best of Clapton record set from the early 70s and that looks like what I recall from the album cover. I'm not sure where that album is though, besides I'm in Montana and the album is somewhere at home so I can't check for a few days. If I don't forget when i get back, I'll see if I can find it and verify. PM me as a reminder by next weekend if I don't respond to this thread.

7. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

It is indeed.

8. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Did Clapton ever publicly appreciate the reference?

9. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

I remember writing "Clapton is God" on a desk at my high school.. Some guy (who liked Clapton but was somewhat religious) added "of music" at the end of the sentence to make it more palatable, heh.

10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Just the opposite, to my knowledge. He toured with Delaney and Bonnie, then later formed Derek and the Dominoes, looking to leave some of the hype behind.

I believe "Clapton is god" was fairly common graffiti in London at the time. I doubt there is a definitive original.

11. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Thank you. Did what'shisface ever know he was there?

12. thetemplarswife

thetemplarswife Vertical

I love Eric Clapton. His music is outstanding. I never had the opportunity to hear him in person but Im sure it would be a most amazing experience.

13. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

That is the famous news photo. I'm not certain if it was the very first occurrence, but it's certainly from the 60s.

14. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Wow. Just wow.
    Yeah. The images here are the early images.
    Clapton is a musician's musician. He's influenced countless numbers for generations now. He's a guitar god, no question.