1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Weather Running

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Plan9, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm pretty sure I posted something like this on The Other TFP, but seeing that I can't really nail it down, check it out:

As many of you know, I'm trying to get my lazy ass to run a marathon. I've been putting it off for some time due to random things like deployments, divorces, college and... cold weather. It's completely feasible; I've done 10 milers in decent time and suffered through things far more strenuous than a marathon while in the military. It's been a goal of mine for years and now it's been furthered fortified by the idea that I can beat Dlish's time because I'm not going to roll an ankle or whatever (J/K). So, yeah, I'm totally losing ground on my training because I don't do it when it is cold out. I pretty much hate running in the cold. I'm more of a desert kinda guy, I guess. Heat doesn't get me nearly as bad as cold.

My typical running outfit (short-shorts, no shirt) is perfect for where I work (It is always between 60-90+ at night) but completely inappropriate for what the weather will be like at the end of the year when I get home and I've got "couch time." It isn't going to be all Alaska up in that mofo, but it'll be uncomfortable. No excuses, right? Gotta get out there.

What are your tips for running in cold weather? Couple of issues I always have:

Extremities. My ears, hands, and then-burrowing manhood cannot be kept warm. I'm guessing I just need to get one of those headbands, some windproof gloves and wrap a wool sock around my junk. Any recommendations? I don't want to be one of those dudes in the matching fleece/tights but whatever, I've got 26.2 to smoke and I'll look stupid doing it regardless of what I wear. DamnitAll once sent me a link to something called a Thermajock, is that for real?

Excessive snot flow. I realize this is just one of those "it's gonna happen, deal with it" things but I didn't know if there were any tips or tricks for helping alleviate it on the longer training runs. There is nothing more annoying than doing the steady in-the-nose-out-the-mouth only to have it completely train-wrecked by buckets of runny nose eggs. In its attempt to lubricate my breathing passages against the cold air, my body is also totally making me miserable. It's one thing to do a 5K like that, it's another thing to run 18 miles with your evil nose leaking all over your face.

Help a brother out, TFP. I can't go from the beginning of fall to the beginning of spring without running anymore. It's helping the procrastination. I'm guessing I just need to get with a training group so I don't put it off until I retire. My work schedule makes it nearly impossible to train properly, so I'm going to have to do this thing while I'm on vacation.

Seriously. Nobody wants to see Old Man Plan9 running a marathon. It'd be all eyeballs and kneecaps.

TL;DR: Running in the cold weather sucks. How do I make it suck less? Any tips or tricks or funny stories?

2. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I did my half marathon training through an Ohio winter last year. So, I learned a few things about running in the cold.

1) Running tights are your friend. I had to double up on them occasionally (windy/below zero days), and windproof tights do exist for cyclists, but they were more expensive than I wanted to go for. UnderArmour worked great for me.

2) Wool socks! You might need a slightly-larger pair of shoes, but wool socks (especially over a silk sock liner) kept my toes from freezing and falling off during 10 mile runs (and I'm slow) in the snow and wind. Tall socks on the super-cold days can add just the right level of warmth to keep your calves from cramping like crazy. Just make sure you try to keep your feet dry while you're out running!

3) Thermal gloves with silk liners (like the socks). I bought fuzzy ones to take care of the nose problem at the same time - I'm used to my cycling gloves with a fuzzy strip on the back specifically to wipe snot off your face. For socks and gloves, I went with brands my running store carried and recommended.

4) Headband and gaiter. I got my headband at REI and made sure to get one that covered my ears completely with some room to spare. I also got my neck gaiter from REI, and only used it when it was windy enough to make my eyes water before I started my run.

5) I fell in love with my running jacket and long-sleeve UnderArmour shirts. The jacket I got was a Nike with really useful zipper pockets and a length that meant I was never accidentally baring skin - it's lightweight, but super warm once you start moving in it. A long-sleeve UnderArmour shirt (I have some of varying weights) underneath kept me warm and mostly-dry.

I still ended up hurting a LOT more during my winter runs than those when the weather got warmer. My butt and quads would get so cold I could hardly move after a while, but that's why I kept my runs shorter on super cold days. Stretching is a lot more important in the winter when your muscles just want to shorten in the cold, and sunglasses are essential when you're dealing with snow and/or wind. I forgot them on one of my long runs and had to turn back early - my eyes were getting so cold I couldn't see very well and it made me worry I would do some damage if I kept going.

Also, secondary to the fuzzy gloves for snot wiping: I learned to blow effective snot rockets as a cyclist. I make use of that skill while out running, too. Just make sure to make sure no one is behind you.

3. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

PonyPotato gave some good advice. I'll add a bit.

Polypropelene is your friend. There are a bunch of folks that make various items out of it. It wicks sweat away from your body, which is good if there's wind.

Personally, I think you just need a decent wool took/toboggan, a gater (sort of a sleeve for your neck that can be stretched over the back of your head), tights and/or wind pants (tights are good if it's not windy, but if the wind's blowing, they won't keep the warm air trapped against your skin. If it's really cold and windy, wear both), and a good wind jacket. Layers are good, but if you're running a marathon, don't bother with a jacket since you may not want it the whole way. Layers that you can discard are good. Personally, I'm more partial to wind pants because I feel like I have a better range of motion in my hips and knees. But that's me.

Now, about the male-specific freezing: a sock never helped me. It was fine at the beginning, but it eventually slipped and became annoying. You're probably better off with tighty-whitey's plus running shorts (maybe 2 pairs) then your tights/wind pants.

Snot: you need to perfect the "farmer blow". That is, close one nostril with a finger, lean to the side and blow. The idea is to not get any on you or anyone else. Once your sinuses are cleared, they'll probably be ok for a good bit (30-40 minutes). Just repeat as necessary.

4. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

"Farmer's blow" is equivalent to what most cyclists call "snot rockets."

Some additional thoughts I had on my way to/from class:

If you sweat a lot (I do), layers are even more important on a windy day. I generally sweat during exercise regardless of how much clothing I'm wearing, so having an additional (light) layer to block the wind from freezing said sweat is nice.

If your hands get super cold and you're going for a very long run, get mittens and use one of those hand warmer packet thingies partway through the run when your fingers start to get cold.

As jazz pointed out (and I thought I did in terms of using UnderArmour), wicking properties of whatever you're wearing is important. Staying dry is the best way to stay warm, so wool or other technical fabrics will be best. Cotton is the absolute worst thing to wear while exercising, and especially so in cold weather.

5. i hope you roll that ankle ( j/k - see thats my disclaimer).

Mine's not 100% yet,(anywhere from 96-99% depending on the day) but i find that the more i run on it the stronger it gets.

having just moved countries, ive gone from 40degrees C weather in the desert to 15 degrees C in Sydney and its flipping cold by my standards!

i've done one run a few days ago and probably another one tonight, so ill see how things go with the cold weather running. i know Jazz will tell me that 15degree weather is perfect weather for running, but i digress. I have to add that i do like that fact that i can run without humidity and run without the fear that my lungs will fill up with water from the amount of water in the air.

i cant really give you great advice on cold weather running, but i can tell you that you better get your ass in shape 'cos im going to be training for more than just a marathon. ill keep you posted.

6. the_jazz

You know, guys that complain about weather where I'd automatically run without a shirt are immediately suspect in a thread about cold weather. One of these days we're going to get you to Chicago for a run along the lake on one of the freshly plowed trails.

7. well i never did add anything to the good advice in here. - cold weather is not my cup of tea - so this thread is as much for me as it is for 9er.

I've just come back from a quick 40min run tonight. My wife thinks im nuts for going out 'in the cold'. its 10degrees C. Two thin shirts, long tights and shorts and a hat thrown in for good measure, and i was overheating by the end of it. I really need to work out how im going to manage my layering.

btw - i'll take you up on the challenge if you return the favour and join me in a desert adventure trail.

8. the_jazz

Of course you were overheated. You were dressed for the first 8 minutes of your run, not the middle 8. That's how you have to dress unless you're going to have to stop for an extended period. Yes, you'll be cold at first, but that will fix itself.

9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Indeed. Overheating=bad. Dress for as warm as you want to be once you get moving, not for feeling comfortable when you leave.

Also, don't hate on the Thermajock. It's doing the best it can.