1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Community Banks -- great Washington Post article...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Lindy, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

There's a story in WAPO about small banks and how the serve their local communities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ail&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_headlines
    I hope it can be accessed without a WAPO subscription.
    Union Bank here in Lincoln is my bank. I know several of the people in the story. Not only that, they know me. Well enough to call me by my preferred name (Lindy:)) even though all my legal paperwork for accounts, etc. lists my first name as Sophia (I also sometimes spell it Sofia) I have nothing but good to say about these folks. It's a real feel-good story. The comments following the story are especially telling.

When I first opened my account there in the fall of 2011 the bank was really busy and the bank vice-president Jason Muhleisen was opening new accounts.:) And he still remembers me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

All banks are supposed to be community banks. They are supposed to serve the community not harvest money from it.

I recall at some point there was a man who with just a letter writing campaign stopped large banks from opening up in cities. Banks are supposed to have a loan amount to the community as part of the chartering of banks. This bank wasn't doing that so he leveraged that to slow the opening until they could. I can't find the article about him but it was long long ago it seems.

• Like Like x 2