1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Compersion

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Street Pattern, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I don't think I had ever heard the word compersion before today. It's a useful concept that comes out of polyamory.

Compersion, apparently, is defined as the opposite of jealousy.

--- merged: Apr 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM ---
    Here's a fairly long article about compersion that discusses it in more depth. This is not just for polyamorists.

The origin of the article is obscure; I got it from someone who got it from someone, etc.

I started this thread because I received, read, and was intrigued by this article.

Due to the character limit, I'm posting this in parts. Here's Part I:

(Continued in Part II.)
    --- merged: Apr 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM ---
    Part II of article:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Compersion?

3. Street Pattern

Part III (last part) of article:

4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I don't mean to sound like a nerd, or sound stupid (way too late), but does anyone here know enough Latin to break down compersion?

5. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

com - together
    per - through

Is what I'd guess. Its of course suppose to be the polar opposite of jealousy (at least thats how I've heard it described in poly literature). With jealousy being "fear of loss" then compersion would be "Joy of togetherness".

Personally its a completely alien thing for me, and I think a dangerous game to play for most couples who go "poly", and while it may work ok in a FMF it will be far less stable in a MFM, especially when the poly relationship is not a communal living but with multiple separate partners. Regardless I know I would not be comfortable even attempting it, for us, casual sex stays casual.

6. Chris Noyb

I would think that compersion sounds great in theory, but would be difficult to achieve in practice. Perhaps the folks who are truly polyamorous could be happy that someone they love is having great sex with someone else.

I need to find & quote what Pig wrote, but for now I'll paraphrase:

If you think you're ready polyamory, got for it. But be ready for a buttload of drama.
    --- merged: Apr 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM ---
    Trying to import a quote from another thread.

Edit--Copy & paste.

From pig
    "...
    to sum up: if poly works for you, then go for it. but be ready for melodrama out the ass.
    ..."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  7. Street Pattern

I'm really surprised by this response. My understanding is completely different from yours.

I would think this idea is applicable to ANY situation that might inspire jealousy -- including monogamy.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Pfft, MFM is only less successful than FMF because dudes are grossly mistaken about how valuable their girlfriends/wives are five seconds after some other dude blows a load in them.

/the mania

9. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I'd say that compersion is more about self-actualization than anything else. From what I read above it fits far faster then all the words pasted above.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Huh? Are you suggesting that taking joy from your partner getting Johnny Rambone'd by a helpful stranger is the next level of Buddhist ascendance? I think it's probably just a trending first world middle-aged relationship trophy.

I can be self-actualized with or without this crap. I'd love to do the 9-to-5 with my old lady, bang my hot mistress on the weekends and have everybody be cool with it... but I'm not an Italian politician. Such is life.

Happiness doesn't mean "no limits." It just means being happy within your limits.

I mean, hell, plenty of Catholics are somehow happy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I guess compersion is a politically correct term for "cuckoldry fetish."

/cecin'estpasunetroll

• Like Like x 2
  12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

You could be.

Many people aren't able to find balance and complicate their lives and have to find more balance. the simplistic lifestyle is the easiest to balance, further complicated ones are less balanced until one is able to find balance. In a polyamory situation, I could not find balance and could not understand how one could, but it obviously can happen as there are polyamory situations where it works.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Street Pattern

Again, this applies to monogamy as well as polyamory. Note this passage:
    This is specifically what has revived my own marriage in recent weeks -- which is why finding this article had such resonance for me.

It's one thing to trust your partner when you're not around. No matter how trustworthy he or she is, you could be racked with jealousy if you start having doubts.

It's another thing to completely level with your partner, so you know what they want, whatever that is. And then you can provide it, or share their fantasy about it, and ultimately make their fantasy your own. And vice versa.

Ideally, then, the doubts and worries (about what your monogamous partner is doing in your absence) would disappear.

Jealousy is about fear. Full knowledge displaces fear.

14. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

For a poly it means you find happiness in your SO finding an emotional bond/love with someone else. I've seen my wife having sex with other guys I don't know how many times and I'm happy for her if shes enjoying it, BUT its not compersion. Its simply glad shes having a good time with casual sex while I'm having the same with that guys wife. I want her to have a good time, but I don't want her to fall in love with the guy. Thats a completely different animal. Because of our lifestyle we've seen this sort of thing and it ends badly usually. I think most people could handle swinging if it was approached properly (usually its not, its a drunk night, to save a marriage, someone feels forced etc) but real poly is completely different and quiet unusual. Most people I know who call themselves poly are really just trying to show they are not "dirty" just in it for sex and fun, but trying to add a layer of meaning.

Here is a definition I found...

Compersion isn't a real word so to speak. There isn't going to be a real definition, so we are all free to define it as we will. I will take it from the original idea that its about a "group love" rather than for multiple people.

To me thats just good communication. On the other hand if she WERE having a emotional affair, I'd not be feeling compersion, I'd be feeling anger. As a couple I know every one of her fantasies, hell I knew she was bi 8 years before she would admit it openly, but again, not compersion, just having a relationship thats completely in the open (as compared to an open relationship)

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It would seem (if we simplify it) that it means learning how to "share the wealth."

If we look at jealousy closely, we can view it as the inability to bear the boon of others when you wish it for yourself. In this context, it could mean being unable to bear some other man enjoying a boon that's "yours."

To overcome that, I imagine we could do that in one of two ways: 1) transcending the idea that your partner is "yours" and instead instilling a selflessness with regard to your partner's sexual pleasure and the sexual pleasure of the one she engages with (i.e., being selfless towards both your partner and her lovers, and there can certainly be a sense of joy in that), or 2) finding eroticism in being "the victim" of cuckoldry.

This second point I can see working in that it could tap into that natural set of emotions (of which jealousy is a part, I'm sure) tied to sexual competition, or whatever. This would seem to me more in line with evolutionary psychology (if you are into that kind of thing) as it pertains to sexuality and mating.

Could compersion be hot? Yeah.
    Could a cuckoldry fetish be hot? Yeah.

Are they the same thing? Maybe.

I dunno.

Don't ask me; I'm repressed.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Street Pattern

Needless to say, that wasn't what I had in mind at all. Perhaps the word creates more confusion than clarity.

I'm much more interested in developing closeness and overcoming jealousy than I am in any kind of polyamory.

Feeling jealous, whether "justified" or not, is suffering.

Speaking only for myself, I'd rather not suffer if I can avoid it.

17. Chris Noyb

Sharing fantasies during sex has worked wonders for my wife & I. Some of them are totally wild, and will never happen, but sharing the thought of them happening is fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Street Pattern

I thought we had good communication before.

To be honest, I didn't want to know her fantasies. I hid from them, because they made me feel anxious and jealous. And I hid my own. That was not a healthy place to be.

Throwing off that mutual ignorance has been wonderful.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Dude, I'm so confused right now.

So, communication fixed your relationship instead of you or your wife finding another person with which to play splooshy-crotch? How is that at all related to compersion? Just because jealousy is bad (I don't think all jealousy is bad, anyway) doesn't mean the opposite is compersion. The opposite would be, well, not being jealous and maintaining your "property rights" as you see fit in the relationship.

It would seem that compersion--based on the definitions in the OP--is all about being aroused by your partner fucking someone else and thus doesn't really apply to monogamous relationships outside the dirty talk realm where you give your wife's favorite veiny sex toy a name (Gary) and backstory (steelworker).

I don't need to tell my old lady to go gargle some balls to prove to the world that I'm not Bogarting her or watching her like a hawk every time we're out at a nightclub.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

We were like that at one point too. I'd not want her to say she thought a guy was hot, or that sort of thing. Not having to deal with that sort of feeling though has been outstanding and it is a load off so to speak.
    --- merged: Apr 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM ---
    Not quite, compersion isn't about sex it about the emotional side of a relationship. The hotest things I've seen in my life is my wife and another woman, but thats not compersion. Being happy, joyful, whatever if my wife fell in love with another man/woman would be compersion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014