1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Computer/tech hardware lifecycles

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Baraka_Guru, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Even if it doesn't officially recognize that 3rd->4th gigabyte of space in it's entirety you'll still get the benefit of dual channel when working with even pairs of ram. Your ram's speed may be a negligible difference in most situations, but losing dual channel is not.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I think I'd rather just max out anyway to squeeze what I can out of the RAM option.

I ran some tests just now. I'm pretty certain I have RAM issues and that adding an extra 1 GB to 2 GB will certainly help. I'm not sure how it works, but I've read on several sites that the system will show up to 3.5 GB and that the remaining will be reserved for hardware or something. Anyway, 3 GB to 3.5 GB will help, and here's why.

When I boot my system up and haven't opened any programs, my system uses up 25% of my RAM (or about 512 MB). Even simply running Chrome and nothing else amounts to 60% of RAM being used.

I attempted to launch Age of Conan to see what it would do. (Some of you may know my love/hate relationship with the game and its performance on my machine.) The game's launcher/updater caused between 40 and 60% of my RAM to be used, depending on the function: downloading, installing, etc. At this point, the game hasn't even been loaded. When I did load the game, my RAM maxed out (full tilt) when the loading screen came up as the game was launching the map/area where my character was saved. So clearly the game is using more memory than I have. Considering it only has ~1.5 GB available, I think adding another 1 GB or more will help performance a bit.

However, playing the game itself was a bit surprising. Between clearing out a bunch of crap on my PC, switching back to letting Windows defrag my drive instead of Defraggler, and installing the most recent patch for the game, I got some pretty good performance. I was actually able to switch the graphic setting to high and play reasonably well even in the city. Though admittedly, there were several obvious hiccups in busy areas, it wasn't coming to a grinding halt like before. I'll likely have to scale back some of the intensive settings such as shadow quality, etc., but this is pretty exciting. Now the game is highly playable. Adding more RAM will make it more so. The game ran with the RAM load between 90% and 95%. I'm assuming this means it was virtually maxed out and was switching to the swap file.

Also: my processor was laughing the whole time with any of this stuff, including Conan. It barely broke 25 to 50% use during any of these functions. Mind you, the quad core was firing on all cores, but still. (Thankfully, Conan uses multi-core processing.) So right now, it looks like my RAM is the weakest link (if we leave the HD out of the equation), considering I seem to have nothing to worry about when it comes to my processor and my video card (ATI Radeon HD 6850).

3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Another possible avenue of investigation is to see if you can find a BIOS update for your motherboard. Those RAM limitations are firmware settings and not an actual hardware limitation, so if you can update the BIOS you may be able to go above 4 GB. Of course, as discussed this would necessitate moving to Windows 7 64 bit. I have heard that OEM systems like Dells can have driver issues, so it could potentially be an issue. It's a bit of a stretch to spend $150 (probably closer to $200 after shipping and taxes) when you don't know if it will even work.

4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Ram is meant to be used, if it's not being used you're not getting optimum performance. The problem comes when you outstrip things and the computer starts using your hard-drive's swap as ram. It's a pretty bad situation which you'll recognize both by the sound of the hdd being absolutely thrashed through constant intensive use and from the fact pretty much everything slows to an equally grinding halt.

5. Baraka_Guru

I don't like the idea of messing with that stuff. I think I will be perfectly happy with the 4 GB max when I get there (for the time being). I think at this point, dropping $200 (instead of, say, $50, which would be my final upgrade investment) should instead be towards a new machine. I'll bide my time and just go with the 2 GB RAM upgrade as my last hurrah for this machine.

I think it comes down to bang for the buck. This hardware is starting to get rather old.

This is the thing. I know Vista caches pretty much all your RAM, but Conan was clearly gobbling all that up. After seeing the performance in game, I think part of it was perhaps a swap file issue.

As I ran non-stop through the wilderness and then through the town, I was all like:

"Wow, this is looking really goooood!"

"Oh shit....lag..."

"Oh wait... hey, niiiiice!"

"Oh...stuttery, but not bad..."

"Oh, hey, this is running great!"

"Oh wait...."

I think if I scale back the high-end graphics settings (like I said), the performance will be pretty good and steady. Adding 2 GB of RAM will hopefully ensure that.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. This is a very nice observation that I often forget. Kudos.
    --- merged: Jun 27, 2012 7:31 AM ---
    I must've missed something, but, if it's XP... 512mb usage as 25% of available system resources is actually a lot... you gotta have things running in the background that shouldn't be running (IMO).

Gentlemen (and women)...

RAM is always helpful, but, for a few years back on Windows machines as my primary work environment, I've taken the *nix route in configuring my machine....
    I reserve the first partition I make (usually about 2gb), and put the OS on the second to try and keep latency down.
    Doesn't really matter very much when you're running an SSD for the OS & 16gb of ram... but it's actually still very helpful for the SSD's resource allocation to parse it out into partitions, since it's all handled logically @ the IDE level (not interface, literal meaning). Then I set my HDD paging to a static amount on the reserved partition, with a minor amount on the OS partition (WUC/GAC related usage @ the binary level... doesn't always like going out to other logical partitions when interacting w/ the primary hive... that primary hive needs direct HDD OS space to perform operations).

It's helpful in performance tuning for resource intensive applications... I don't know so much about tuning for gaming... this is more like utilizing a Desktop or Laptop similar to config'ing a server for background services, but geared toward the front-end. (Sorry, maybe useless advise.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
  7. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Tuning for gaming is much more about keeping the framerate high and steady and load times down than anything else. A good smooth framerate and low details is a far better experience than constantly dropping from 60 down to 30 but having shmancies on.

8. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

I upgrade only if necessary, since it's expensive and I have better things to spend my money on. That said, I've only really owned three computers of mention in my life.

The first - a Dell Demension Desktop of which I forget the model since IDGAF
    AMD Athalon X2 (I believe 2.1 GHz but it's been a long time so I don't remember for sure).
    2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM
    Windows Vista 32-Bit

This thing was a piece of crap, and for the most part I blame Windows Vista. Bootup was slow, resources were over half used up when you started the damn thing, and programs would freeze at random. Finally, I went out, bought a 4GB flash drive and ReadyBoosted the damn thing. It actually helped quite a bit. I was using the desktop for school mainly, but I also ran Google Sketchup 7 a lot, which as we all know, is a Memory and VRAM hog. At least Readyboost stopped it from crashing so much.

The Second - a Toshiba Satellite L455D Laptop
    AMD Sempron SI-42 (2.1 GHz Single Core)
    2GB RAM
    ATI Radeon (I want to say 3700, but I may be wrong. All I know is it was 256MB VRAM dedicated, 768MB Shared)
    Windows 7 32-Bit

I loved this thing. For one, it was my first ever laptop, meaning I could take it anywhere. It also ran most things with nary a problem. When Sketchup 8 came out, I had no problems running it. I even started to game a little on it. Anyway, it served its purpose well (mostly school related stuff), though I had to replace the hard drive about 9 months in. Then one day I slipped on an icy porch and the screen was smashed all to hell. I bought a replacement online for about $60, installed it myself, and gave it to my mom when I got a new laptop upon graduating high school. It still works to this day, though I believe it has a few viruses on it, so a reinstallation of the OS may be necessary.

My Current Laptop - An HP Pavilion DM4T Laptop
    Intel Core i5-480M Dual Core (2.67 GHz, TurboBoosted - 2.93GHz)
    6GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 6370 (1GB VRAM Dedicated, 3GB Shared)
    Windows 7 64-Bit

I looooooooooooove this thing so much. It's perfect for college and does literally everything I want it to do. Steam games work well, Audio, Video and 3D programs have no problems at all. It's taken a beating in the past year but no parts have had to be replaced as of yet. Eventually I would like to replace the hard drive with an SSD, just to make things run that much faster. I need to put ArcGIS Desktop on here, but I'm waiting till I need it since my copy has a 1-year expiration date. My only real complaint is that my ethernet port broke rather easily; I can still use it but if I have a cable in it falls out really easily since the thing that keeps it in place is gone. Anyway, I'd like this to last another two or three years. If it doesn't, it doesn't but I can hope.

Now, when I get my next computer, there are a few things I'm taking into consideration. First, I don't want Windows 8; it is crap. I've played with the Developer Preview and was not impressed. I'll either pirate Win7 or install Linux. Second, I want another Core-i5, unless i7's drop in price significantly. Third, I will go for a Solid State Drive if possible, 6-8 GB of RAM, and a Video Card with 2GB Dedicated VRAM).

9. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

so did it work?

10. Baraka_Guru

Is this directed at me?

Update: I now have 4 GB loaded into my machine.

Everything ran peachy when I launched Age of Conan. I was actually able to max out the graphics. It didn't run at awesome frame rates the whole time, but it ran well, even in the city! It ran well especially compared to only having 2 GB.

There was an issue though.

I played for maybe half an hour before I exited the game. (It was awesome because it didn't take 2 minutes to return to the desktop.) I then launched Civ V to see how it ran. Before the RAM upgrade, it was running a bit sluggish on max graphics later on in the game when there were many units on screen. I wanted to see if the 4 GB smoothed it out.

However, I took a bathroom break while it was loading, and when I came back, I noticed my machine had crashed and was rebooting. I thought that was odd. It then started beeping. It was that error beep that my system has. It beeped out four or five times before I shut 'er down.

I have two suspicions: 1) the system overheated, or 2) there was some kind of hardware error/conflict.

1) I did a quick cleaning of my interior when I dropped the new RAM modules in, but I ran out of compressed air and wasn't as thorough as I would have liked to be. I'm wondering if the new zippiness of the machine and running AoC on max taxed my system more than usual and it got too hot. I'm going to do a better cleaning soon. I now also have a system temp program running that tells me the temperature of each processor core in the system tray. I haven't played a game since rebooting normally, but I noticed that the temps run at around 40 C when running things like Chrome.

2) I haven't looked into any conflicts or other hardware issues (I'm ignorant when it comes to these things); however, I've been able to reboot since, and I've had no problems using Chrome and watching HD videos on YouTube, that sort of thing. Maybe this weekend I will try AoC and/or Civ V and keep an eye on temperatures and see if I have any other crashes, related to temperatures or not.

What do you think? Can RAM cause any hardware conflicts? I loaded in the four similar chips, and my system recognizes all the RAM.

Do you think it was a temperature issue?

Just a hiccup?

11. cynthetiq

Do you know how many beeps it was? The beep count gives an indication as to what the error actually is on the mobo.

I'd check the BIOS and make sure that the RAM settings are set correctly. I forgot exactly what I had to set mine to with those 4 sticks, but you just want to make sure there isn't a BIOS setting that needs to be adjusted. Normally it's plug and play and not sweat it.

These are the sticks I gave you.
    Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB 2 x 1GB; 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800; PC2 6400; Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR2GK

• Like Like x 1
  12. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

there's also a similar program that you use for your core(s) to monitor your gpu. that could be getting hot too.

13. Baraka_Guru

I didn't let it finish beeping. I thought it was a bad thing, so I just shut it down.

You might as well have said "I'd check the carburator." You know, to the thirty-six-year-old beta male who just got his license a just couple of years ago and hasn't driven since.

I have no idea what the BIOS is let alone what it does or how to do anything to it. Should I start at Wikipedia?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi Baraka ... have a look at this:

When you turn on your computer, you have a very early choice to go to 'setup' ... this choice comes before Windows loads. You make this choice by tapping one of the keys. The Youtube vid specifies f12. I remember having a computer where pressing Delete key did the same thing. When you do that, the natural progression toward Windows Desktop is interrupted, and instead you you find yourself on a screen with lots of choices.

You have various 'Exit' choices .... one of which is to leave without making any changes. As long as you make no changes, then I recommend you get to this setup screen .... this is where you get to adjust the BIOS.
    Just go there, and have a good look around. Familiarize yourself with it. This is a safe way of opening the bonnet er .. the hood ... of your car.

My own computers: I used to build my own until my health stopped me from the contortions I needed to get into. I am another firm adherent of using yesterday's technology and letting the leading edge encounter and solve the glitches. I usually miss a few generations because computers have been pretty good at doing what I want them to do for a few years. 2d Graphics (Photoshop) and music (Cubase). I used one vid card for about 8 years, but since moving up to big monitors with lots of pixels, had to upgrade. My sound cards have usually lasted longer than the computers they've lived in. My last one was second hand when I got it and lasted 6 years. It simply could NOT work with Win 7, and MAudio had failed diabolically to create drivers to solve the issues. So I moved on to RME internal card and Multiface breakout box. That should last me the rest of my life. It is solidly built and gives me better stability and latency than I've ever had. Motherboards: I've tended to get the best I could, with a view to upgrading the CPU and adding more Ram ... eg I stayed with AMD for many years with the same mobo, because I could progressively upgrade the CPU.

My present rig is i7 ... I intend to stick with it until it expires ... because there's a new quad core form factor out now that will not fit the i7 mobo. I want that to be my next cpu .... high power, stable, and cheap. My present mobo will not take it, therefore I'll wait, enjoy what I have, and do a full rebuild in ... oh ... maybe 4 years. I so do not feel the need to have better power or processing than I have at the moment. I'll upgrade only when stuff eventually burns out, and higher spec will be a by-product of that.

15. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, I've been in the BIOS menu before for random things. I've never really fully understood what to do with it.

I went in there now and I see that the system recognizes the RAM. It says it's 4096MB installed, 4095MB available, 800MHz speed, Dual channel mode, and DDR2 SDRAM tech. That's just the system info screen. Is there perhaps an issue with the BIOS version? As in, should I update the BIOS? The BIOS Info reads: 1.0.3 06/20/2008.

Other than that, I don't see anything about RAM settings. I see settings to do with the HD, the video card, and boot and power settings, and the like, but I don't see anything to do with memory settings. Am I missing something? What should it look like? What should it be called?

Also, previously, the system had frozen up on me when I left it running. The screensaver was all locked up and looked messed up. When I tried to reboot, the system wouldn't activate. The fan would race non-stop and I wouldn't get the beep indicating the system was booting. I let it sit for a day or two (I've been busy with other things), and now it seems to be booting. (And I could get into the BIOS menu.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  16. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

If the BIOS didn't like your RAM the system wouldn't boot. Your current wonkiness is most likely caused by either heat issues, or one of the new RAM sticks being bad. If the system hasn't had issues with heat previously, I'd call the second one more likely. If you're feeling brave you can run it through memtest86, which will run a thorough set of tests on the RAM looking for errors. It's not too difficult; download the program here and follow the instructions.

The lowbrow testing method is to remove the sticks one at a time and see if that fixes the problem.

17. cynthetiq

Don't worry about the bios then.

Next time it POST (power on self test) and it beeps, open it up and reseat the RAM sticks and your video card. It probably was a just enough not connected, but connected now. As things expand and contract it may do it again.

18. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, I now suspect it might be either a seating issue or, failing that, the RAM might not be working right.

I don't think it's a heat issue. The most recent freeze happened when the system was idle. Unless, of course, it's possible for the RAM to overheat if it isn't working right.

I will try reseating the RAM. I did find the modules a little tight going in because of how they're encased. I will fiddle around with them to see if the problem will go away. I should probably pick up more compressed air too, and give the guts a thorough cleaning while I'm at it.

19. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi, Baraka

Just popping in to say that my last post pretty much contained the sum of my knowledge. I'm sure appreciating learning here as you ask and others answer. Also want to be helpful, but once I'm in the BIOS, I'm floundering except for checking and adjusting the boot-up sequence.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

If it was a BIOS level issue your computer morelikely wouldn't boot to begin with, and RAM usually does go in feeling really tight but eventually seats solidly with both the plastic tabs on the ends in the divots firmly. Dying in the middle of working hard says "heat" or "power". Try checking temps first, after that I'd test the RAM to see if it's bad. Also if you know what make and model of motherboard you've got you can find the manual and figure out what exactly that beep code is.