1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Computer/tech hardware lifecycles

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Baraka_Guru, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Anyway...

Pandas?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Paid 30 bucks for Win7 professional as a student and it was the best thirty bucks I ever spent on an operating system. Windows versions are like Star Trek movies, every other release terrible.

Yeah and technically you need to throw out all your music if you ever forget to lock your front door. There's lots of ridiculous crap in EULAs.

It's time to upgrade when your current hardware is either no longer reliable, or no longer performing acceptably. You're overestimating a new computer though. I've got pretty much the same hardware as you but a graphics card one generation older, and the gpu's good enough for my FPS games so you should be fine keeping yours. It should be about $500-600ish to get a Haswell cpu, solid midrange Asus mobo, and 2x8gb of quality ram.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I can has pandas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Buy what you need, then a bit what you want.
    I'd say it should be 80% need, 20% want.

Many wish for or attempt to get the next best thing.
    Usually they end up overbuying.
    Most do not fully utilize or manipulate what they end up buying.

Don't listen to the hype...there's always hype.
    And take advise with a grain of salt...their needs aren't yours.
    They have biases...and it's your wallet, not theirs. They won't get impacted or care about your waste.

I actually owned a company over decade ago based on these principles.
    Worked for both retail and corporate.
    You'd be amazed how much money you can make off those who bought the marketing hype.

And as with others...I use my systems until they are buried.
    BUT, I buy with the future in mind...with the max flexibility.
    AND I keep my system clean and stream-lined. (I wish I did the same with my normal life, weird eh?)

I say only buy, when you find you cannot use the apps and/or games you want.
    Your browsers don't function as they used to ...things start becoming "thick" even though you keep it tidy.

Even then, realize that even if you buy exactly what you want...
    In few months, it will be cheaper...and something else will be out there.
    But is it supported? Have they gotten most of the bugs out? Is it a standard widely used and continuing??

I find in computers, the BBD attitude usually just gets you headaches.
    If you're smart, you'll go for the Toyota SUV Hybrid...not the BMW sportcar convertible.
    IMHO

Oh yeah, if you're buying a laptop, since they're "condensed", you'll likely have to buy a name-brand, just get one stable, not glutted...like Toshiba.
    And if you buy a desktop...I always recommend getting one built for you, to your specs.

5. QW had been using an old (10 years) Dell Inspiron, originally an XP, upgraded to 7. Just bought a replacement Dell for her Mother's Day. I am going to upgrade my Vista machine using the old Dell's registration.

/stealth gift to self

6. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

I have two servers that run Windows Server 2003, which will not be supported next year: July, 2015. So, instead of waiting until next July I decided to work on upgrading both servers (not at the same time).

In the next two weeks I will be configuring a:
    IBM System X3250 m5
    Quad Core
    32 GB memory
    1 TB Raid 10
    Windows Server 2012 with Remote Desktop Services

It will be supporting around 40-45 users since my current setup: HP Proliant Ml350 G5 has only 3.5 GB memory can moderately handle ~35 users, but cannot handle more than 40 users.

7. Baraka_Guru

No dice on the install.

It works until it goes to download the client data. It just crashes.

From what I've read regarding troubleshooting, I don't think I'll have the expertise or the patience to figure it out.

So I guess it's either Windows OS or nothing.

Ah, well. We'll see.

8. snowy

PANDAS!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sounds like a great opportunity to spend some quality time with @Martian.

• Like Like x 1
  10. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

My consulting rates are very reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baraka_Guru

For $120 + HST, I can be permanently rid of the wildcards of running a Windows-native program in a Linux build.

Are you that reasonable?

12. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Not likely.

You're talking to a guy who uses Linux professionally and absolutely refuses to install it as a desktop OS. It's not worth the trouble to me.

Go with the operating system that lets you do the things you want to do with the least amount of pain.

13. Baraka_Guru

That's what I figured. I always try the cheapskate route first.

I must get to Azeroth.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I recently decided to start using my Ubuntu installation more after the upgrade to 14.04. I appreciate the multiple workspaces, "better interface" (purely subjective I know, Unity is the first thing some people ditch or skip entirely on there), and just how it looks overall. LibreOffice works perfectly with all of the OpenOfice.org documents I prefer to use.

The Windows installation wins in the photo-editing department for me. The GIMP is powerful but the latest version of Photoshop is my first choice for 99% of my work in that area. I would like to get a new laptop at some point "soon" but it will have to be pgraded from that mS BOB Windows 8* to Win 7 Professional before it is even shipped.

*Yes, I do know how to kill that appaling Metro look, still strongly dislike that OS in general for reasons beyond that.

15. Baraka_Guru

Apparently, I can get Windows 7 Ultimate for $30.95.

Yay!

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

PANDAS!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baraka_Guru

I just don't know how long it will take to ship here. It's just as well; I'm going to be crazy-busy for another week and a half at least.

June can't come soon enough.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Speed_Gibson

The only way to go. The home edition (what my laptop is running) cannot join a domain which really irritated me when I had cause to be reminded lately.

Speaking of Operating Systems, I think I would pay for Ubuntu rather than a hypothetical scenario where Windows 8 was free.

19. Baraka_Guru

That version really was the only way to go. It was either the Ultimate edition of Windows 7 or Windows 8. I figured 7 was the safer bet because of my older hardware. Plus Windows 8 still has its issues.

I'd take a free Windows 8. I think many of the initial problems have been fixed to the extent that I wouldn't hate it...much. I hear it performs well.

20. Speed_Gibson

The godwaful interface is one of the biggest issues it has. Fortunately you can bury it deep enough where you never see it. I forgot how to pull up the Metro interface after using my friend's laptop long enough. This was after I fixed it by restoring the proper desktop and start button.

However.....I never have used it on a touchscreen system or tablet especially. That ugly Xbox look might actually be "good" on such a system.