1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Congress - the body you love to hate

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Apr 20, 2012.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

yeah Charlie Rangel does so much.

2. redux

redux Very Tilted

I'm certainly not going to defend Rangel.

My point was that the move farther and farther right by the Republicans, particularly with Tea Party candidates, has made bi-partisanship for the greater good increasingly difficult.

Look at the recent Senate primary in Indiana where Richard Luger, a conservative by any measure, was beaten by a Tea Party candidate because he (Luger) had the nerve to work across the aisle with Democrats on a handful of issues. That is now unacceptable. Mourduck, the guy who beat him, campaigned on a theme of bi-partisanship as "part of the problem in Washington" and evidently enough Republicans in Indiana agree.

I think it will bite the Republican party in the ass in the long run, but in the meantime, this kind of extremist thinking (our way or no way) does little to address the problems facing the country in a rational and meaningful manner.

And as a side effect of the Indiana vote, the country has lost the most experienced and knowledgeable member of Congress on foreign affairs, even if I might not have always agreed with him.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

As with any stretched rubber band, sooner or later it snaps back
    or it breaks...

But I think our rubber is strong at the moment. ;)
    It's just a matter of withstanding the tension until that moment.

4. rogue49

The man who stated, "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term President."
    may be in trouble himself...
    It's going to VERY interesting once all the dust settles this November...
    God knows what Congress is going to look like.

5. rogue49

They should get their ears cleaned, they look dirty. (potatoes are growing in them...)

6. rogue49

OK, this is a new one...and a scary one at that.

Now, one politician can pay out of their campaign's fund a Super PAC to go attack another.
    And they don't have to even be running against each other...

In this case, South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint who was in his own party's leadership competition with Sen. Richard Lugar.
    He sent money from his campaign fund to an associated Super PAC, which did what it could to oppose Lugar in his Indiana Primary.

PACs have been the political equivalent of Nukes.
    And politicians are not hesitating to push the button.

The implications of this are profound.

They need to outlaw these PACs, somehow.

7. rogue49

Not that this would surprise you cynics (me included)
    but our esteemed body 'n honorable representatives ain't learnin' no more.
    Is Idiocracy starting to occur???...Oi Vey.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

This is interesting...now the Dems get to play nay-sayer to their benefit.
    Will this be a good or bad for the US?

Personally, on the things they are going to say No to....I don't mind at all.
    Money doesn't get spent, revenue gets increased...debt goes down.
    Which is one of the things everyone says they want.

Problem is, most people have their head stuck in the sand...to have their cake and to eat it too.
    You cannot have more money in the bank and have less income and spend it on whatever at the same time.
    Basic math.
    This is not magic.

Both Dems and GOP are spenders.
    They just spend on different things.

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

Former Senate Republican leader Alan Simpson is the latest Republican (among many former party leaders) to slam the party for its unwillingness to compromise:
    Every Tea Party type candidate elected only brings more of this intransigence. They may win the battle, but will ultimately lose the war...sooner rather than later, IMO. People want solutions, not rigid ideology.

10. rogue49

Problem is this...

A significant portion of those who vote the way they are told to, do vote.
    And many who think for themselves and can smell BS, don't vote.

So it's the Idiocracy premise, but in a political context.

11. rogue49

Have they all gone insane???
    Yet we still keep voting them in...

12. redux

redux Very Tilted

Republican hypocrisy rears its ugly head again with their refusal to support the Disclose Act of 2012 (version2.0 reintroduced in both the House and Senate this year with their objectionable provisions from the 2010 bill removed). The bill now basically just requires groups spending $10,000 or more on election ads to immediately report spending to the FEC and disclose the identity of donors contributing more than $10,000 in the ads.

In the Bush years, Republicans had argued that transparency was the way to go rather than limiting financial contributions. Now such transparency is an attack on free speech and will be used by Obama and the Democrats to create enemy's lists. :eek:

13. rogue49

Problem is...Now if they can just get The House of Representatives to work too. :rolleyes:

14. redux

redux Very Tilted

Who says this a do-nothing Congress?

Because they only passed and sent 54 bills to Obama so far this year, making it one of the least productive sessions on record....17 of which renamed post offices and other stuff.

Way to go!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

Our representives viewpoints and efforts on these fronts are pathetic.

Why can't we find a group that actually thinks about the nation and its citizens?
    CASH?
    Influence?
    Bias?
    All the above?

When are we going to hold them accountable???
    We have a responsibility to ourselves to do so.

If not, then who are we to blame but ourselves...

Ignorance is NOT bliss.
    Neglect is a cost.

16. rogue49

Congress...a body of representatives that we elect as "authority figures" to determine the best course and laws for our Nation.

Yet, are they TRULY qualified??
    Can they really make that determination?

I see this at all levels, in real-life, everyday...where those "in-charge" are making arbitary decisions according to various conflicting factors,
    including their own absorbtion of the matter, awareness, bias...or simply "warm & fuzzies".

Often I fight against a Project Manager or otherwise, who's made the decision to ignore a recommended action.
    Or stress another unnecessary task/change, due to the client's or another executives' whims or perceived "needs".

Congress is the ultimate example of this ongoing frustration.
    (although, unlike a non-representative government where we can NOT change or pure democracy where it'd be the masses/mob)

Is there a more efficient route?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

Jeff Flake, the likely Republican nominee for Senate from Arizona is the latest to suggest repealing the 17th amendment (direct election of US senators) and other extreme positions.
    He joins other Tea Party candidates for Senate in Missouri (the Christocrat, anti-gay rights, anti-Muslim darling of social conservatives) and Indiana (campaigned on no compromise with Democrats on any issue) as well as Utah Senator Mike Lee (wants to abolish Medicare, Social Security, food stamps and eliminate all income assistance to the poor) , Texas governor Perry and Justice Scalia in reverting back to state legislatures appointing its two US Senators.

Welcome to today's Republican Party.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  18. rogue49

The funny thing is this...look how many threads we have dedicated to the presidency...at least 4, and they are all replied on many time.
    Congress...one thread, and some replies...not all that much.

But Congress is the one that MAKES the LAW, the budget for it...they are the ones you vote for to represent you...
    And yet, they are mostly ignored.
    Sure, we say they are shit in general...but we end up supporting our local rep for the most part.
    We want fiscal conservativism or at least fiscal restraint...but we LOVE the funds our rep brings back to our area.

But we target and cry about the primary man in the seat...as if they have all the control.
    I make you a bet most don't even get close to paying attention to the Congress and its soap operas...and its "actors"

19. rogue49

Yes, PLEASE STOP putting up insane and shitty candidates.

Now, funny part of this...is they are talking about Congress here...but there was a pack of stupid presidential candidates too.
    If you softball them...how do you truly vet them??

Sure they'll be scared/offended if you are going to drill them on the hard questions and hold them to their answers.
    But, DAMN...you're asking me to put you up there to make decisions for me...to impact the State & Nation.
    And you're concerned about your EGO or sweating a bit???

Welcome to the Big League, boys & girls.
    Time to Nut Up or Shut Up...

20. rogue49

Since the presidential election is over...now the fun & games goes back to the Congress.
    With mostly the same old players and those in control.

The Senate in Democrats hands...and the House held by the GOP.
    Each previously refusing to approve the others bills.

The Senate has the extra current difficulty of getting anything done because of the over-use of the filibuster,
    or even worse...nothing gets done just because of the threat of it. (no one actually ever DOES it :rolleyes:)

Hopefully they can get their act together finally,
    but here are some nice ones that would have good to pass to our benefit...and perhaps save some money to boot.