1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Congress - the body you love to hate

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

And we go "nuclear"...

And yes, I'm glad they pushed the button too.
    But it's scary...because it can have unintended consequences...as politics changes. I don't always like what the Dems do...or any other party.
    However, let's see if it works.

I guess they could always change back...hell, they did for a whole damn amendment or two.

And some perspectives to consider for both sides, good and bad...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

Well, it looks like no one has anything to say about Congress...good or bad.
    Or...they're just over it.

One pundit tried to sum it up...and assign blame.

Were the GOP the primary culprits?
    Were the Dems in a more lackluster year...backing the wrong horse?
    Or were they both guilty?

IMHO, the Dems weren't stellar students...but the GOP was the one flooding the bathroom stalls.
    What do you think?

3. rogue49

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

i thought this was weird because I didn't read about a lot of hoopla leading up to it.

Did I just miss it up here in the Great White North?

5. rogue49

Nope...the Senate still has to approve it...but it's actually more than likely.
    The amazing thing was how many on both sides of the aisle voted for it. It was like the "good ol' days".

I guess they all want to be focused on their upcoming elections or assisting others with theirs and not stuck arguing in DC.
    Forgive me for being cynical...but I've come to expect the lowest common denominator from these folk.

6. rogue49

Wistful thoughts of political times of yesteryear.
    But I wonder if sentiments like this have been said throughout the same years.

Seems to waver back & forth between sand & crazy.
    I do agree about the money aspect though...need to rein that back in.

Although I'll "edit" the title and say the GOP are bat-shit crazy and the Dems are "Spineless" :mad:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. rogue49

Pretty much says it all for the coming election... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

8. rogue49

If people want to know why that their nation and government is fucked up,
    they simply need to look in the mirror.

YOU vote them in.
    YOU don't hold them accountable.
    YOU don't remember the bullshit.

Ignorance is not bliss.

9. rogue49

We need to have an Amendment to fix the voting fiasco that happens in the US.

This computer programmer solved gerrymandering in his spare time

It's NOT that difficult...unfortunately, we have the foxes ruling the hen-house. (they vote on their own pay too...of course)

Not only using an algorithm such as the one described.
    But voting on weekends. Make it a holiday.
    No blocks to voting.
    Have to allow registering there.
    and so on...

Also limit exploratory committees & SuperPacs, no more anonymous donations...also limit donations by corporations...businesses are NOT people
    and the need millions of dollars to run successful campaign...you shouldn't be able to buy the election.

I'm tired of the BS.
    If you can't win on your own, you don't deserve to win and be in power. Period

10. redux

redux Very Tilted

As likely as a Constitutional Amendment that was the subject of hearings in the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday that focuses on campaign finance reform.

This one could actually pass the Senate later this month, if not filibustered, then die a quiet death in the House.

I dont think we will ever see another Constitutional amendment given how divided the country has become.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

Brilliant, I heard about this happening, I just didn't know the verbiage.

Now they just need to add in 3 things, or 3 additional new Amendments...a "Bill of Rights" for voting & elections.
    - Rules on gerrymandering or constituent areas. (per Census data)
    - Stipulate the election day to the weekends and make it a federal holiday. (2 days...not just one)
    - Extended privs and definition on voting rights.

Actually, there is a slight chance that the GOP will allow this to go thru too....they've also been bitchin' also on the burdens of working the money.

I think the Dems are doing this before the election to leverage the argument,
    but if it's submitted afterwards...if the GOP doesn't get what they want or enough of it...and they've soaked the area,
    then they may not want the pain of big money anymore, because THEY expect results for their investment
    ...and the reflecting anger not getting the best bang for their buck.

12. rogue49

And to show how much you hate them...
    And yet...their own voters keep putting them back in.
    And even more so...those that are the most contentious ...and block legislation or cooperation. :rolleyes:
    In truth, voters have no one to blame but themselves.
    PAY ATTENTION FOLKS! Use your memory.

I don't know why I'm shouting, the ones most likely doing it aren't on this section, this board...hell, this internet.

13. rogue49

This a GREAT summary overall about the political dynamics in the US.
    It covers ALL sides.

Much better than typical media which is mostly looking for controversy.

I love the term "Bystanders"...this is SO true...there is a huge section of society that just doesn't care or participate.
    They don't know. They aren't aware. They don't vote often or it's inconsistent.
    It's often just not in their worldview.
    They do have opinions & values...it's only immediate to them and their own...not applied to politics, policy or the system.

Or some DO have some interest...it's just that they don't have time or mind to think about it...or act on it.
    Yet, they are represented too in Congress and otherwise.

There's a difference between the apathetic and the engaged.
    But apathetic use resources too and participate and add value to the nation still. They just aren't involved in politics.

14. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That is a good article. And it conveys my feelings of where the Democratic party is now. I received around 75 e-mails to donate in the past two days (I can't due to work, and even then...) But they don't seem to have a consistent message that they can all get behind. There is no 'perfect' left-winger who is the role model and demostrates how government programs can make life much easier. Along with protecting yourself from getting screwed over by greedy companies and opportunistic criminals.

All the left needs to do is come up with a video of what life would look like under a Ted Cruz presidency where the Tea Party held a large majority in both houses and a 6-3 supreme court. Along with many state governors and legislatures... Basically the situation where I would start viewing options to escape to a different country. And then show them what life in the perfect leftist world would look like. Something like Star Trek:TNG without the space ships. Have plans and details about how to get there. Explain how the progress made already has helped. And have the media start having guests from the left and further left debate some of these issues to get people on the same page.

15. rogue49

16. rogue49

17. rogue49

Florida judge throws out 2012 congressional redistricting plan :cool:

This is wonderful, I wish they'd do this throughout the US.

We desperately need a federal law that states it like they have in Florida.

Perhaps they can use this even and scenario as precedent.
    and other judges could to the same...or groups sue for it...or press for laws like it.

No party should have advantage, period.

18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

So the President is trying to get an emergency appropriations bill passed to help kids who are being shoved into camps and all Congress can find time to do is sue him for?
    I'm consistently amazed at the level of drek these morons seem to think they can shovel our way.

19. rogue49

I hate this "all or nothing" attitude.
    Because, that's all we end up with...nothing.

Fix it...do your fuckin' job. :mad:
    Otherwise, I'm paying you for zilch.

If I do nada for pay...I get fired.

At least fuckin' Obama is doing SOMETHING for his job.
    What, is debatable...but at least it's something.

How about we start suspending pay & perks until work gets done...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  20. rogue49

I'm sorry, but the American public...are a bunch of wishy-washy, fickle, ADD, memory lacking idiots.
    Might as well be a bunch of mercurial junior high-school students.

Or at least, what is reported or polled of them...but I hear it IRL too, so it's there.

Makes me wonder how we actually make a correct decision when it comes to make it.
    Congress...or ANY political position. (President, state or local level, etc...)

But it also makes me understand why the Founding Fathers didn't trust ANYONE, including the public and themselves.
    They truly understood how humans are.
    And it hasn't changed since then. :rolleyes:

and you've got politicians, often fulfilling their own agendas and CYA.
    and you've got media, looking to hype ANY controversy.

How the hell do you tell what direction is up???

Is this true in other post-industrial nations???
    I'm sure it is.

Man, how do we not fuck ourselves up???
    How do we get anything done??