1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Congress - the body you love to hate

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Scalise withdraws from consideration.

McCarthy hasn't ruled out running again.

Jim Jordan could be nominated (puke!).

Courtesy of The Hill...

"Rep. Mike Collins (R-Ga.) has one idea of how to pick a Speaker:

“We should just have a lottery,” he wrote on X. “If you lose, you have to be speaker.”"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Jim Jordan doesn't have enough votes......yet?

I keep hearing mention of him being an active member of the hard right Freedom Caucus, & a staunch supporter of NPD Trump.

What I don't see mentioned is Jordan ignoring a Congeressional subpoena, & possibly being charged in one or even two of the cases against Trump. And his Has No Legal Grounds requests for documents in the Georgia STATE case. To top it off he's the head of the House Judiciary Committee.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

He's backing away from a 3rd vote (although he can still call for another)
    and he's pushing giving the acting speaker more powers instead.

Frankly, the acting would be better than JJ.

....followup
    and he just reversed himself again, he's pushing forward.

Dammit, I'm just going to sit out this square dance or jig.
    Too much of a ping pong match. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  5. Chris Noyb

Will the next SOH have to make the same kind Thin Ice deals McCarthy did? Most likely yes.

6. rogue49

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rogue49

Republican Rep. Tom Emmer abruptly drops out of House Speaker race

It must be Groundhog Day early. He hid when he saw his shadow.

Well, two points...
    1. He must have know the crap he was going to get into, after T pissed on him, must less others...and said no friggin' way.
    2. Whoever goes for it has GOT TO be harder than steal and ignore BS, because that's nature of the party these days...rebels and shit throwing (gone beyond mud by now)

And realize that Chump IS going to throw ya under the bus sooner or later...that's his nature.

Yet we're getting closer to another shutdown, there's no one to open the House.

I wouldn't set myself up to be hit constantly. Betrayed, backstabbed, etc... :eek:

9. Chris Noyb

10. Chris Noyb

• Like Like x 2
  11. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Yeah. Shittyer shit under every rock.

• Like Like x 2
  12. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Just nuke us all.

From his Wikipedia bio.

"On November 17, 2020, Johnson stated: "You know the allegations about these voting machines, some of them being rigged with this software by Dominion, there’s a lot of merit to that. And when the president says the election was rigged, that’s what he’s talking about. The fix was in. [...] a software system that is used all around the country that is suspect because it came from Hugo Chavez's Venezuela".[72][73][74][75] By October 2022, Johnson said that he had never supported claims that there was massive fraud in the 2020 election.[76]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Johnson_(Louisiana_politician)

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Chris Noyb

A thought:

Mike Johnson's belief in Good White Christianity vs Clarence Thomas & Jenny Thomas.

We know the extreme right (TER) wants to do away with gay rights, & hamper minority (read as black) voting. I wonder if TER will ever go after interracial marriage? With Johnson as Speaker it's possible.

14. rogue49

I think for right now...they're just focused on the momentum of getting everything that CAN get through...and leverage those temporary allies.
    And later they'll tackle the other bigotry and racism, kicking who they want to the curb.
    It's the nature of fascists and tyrants.

15. Chris Noyb

I not actually certain The Extreme Right/MAGA would go after interracial marriage. Something tells me SCOTUS would rule against any such laws, even if Thomas wasn't in the picture.

An even more bizarre thought: Thomas votes to uphold laws outlawing interracial marriages.

16. Chris Noyb

• Like Like x 1
  17. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

The
    I'm dubious the TER(orisists) can really outlaw abortion gay or interracial marriage.
    I don't think there's enough system capacity for 6-8 hundred thousand women to be jailed PLUS their co abortionist doctors, nurses boyfriends and Uber drivers...
    I haven't looked at the marriage numbers but one would assume (because it's all hate based vindictiveness) the clergy or civil servants that marry them....
    Who'd round them all up ? There are gay cops who will quit or not comply with clearly illegal directions, judges wouldn't hear the cases or quit... thousands of businesses will balk at the loss of employees and customers...it'd just be a tsunami of disruptive bullshit. It's all the antithesis of "freedom" it's faith based tyranny, period.

You can't fund your fantasy boogypeople for fun while your trying to reduce debt and fund actual practical reality. Fantasy is a luxury expense.

But we will still likely need to listen to the psychos muse about it -during their work days so, still on the clock absurd hate talk at the water-cooler of Fox spews.

18. Chris Noyb

TER has already outlawed abortion.

I not saying they would be successful in other areas, but if you look at how judicial system has been poisoned at multiple levels the fights could take place.

As it's been mentioned here a few times, all those seemingly small judicial appointments & election victories add up. Federal level, state level, county level, & city level. And we can't forget the local school boards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Oh shit your correct, thanks for point that out. It's easy to forget not being female and not in a state that fully outlaws abortion. I don't know how I forgot... maybe I was thinking what Mike mentioned was nationally outlawed, I'm sure he wants that too.
    I'm feeling toxicly overexposed to politics.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb