1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Congress wants to allow robocalls to cell phones

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by the_jazz, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

There are exceptions to the DNC list, including companies with whom you already have a relationship, registered charities, political parties, and general circulation newspapers and magazines seeking subscriptions.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I also have Verizon, and no, it doesn't charge you for checking your regular voicemail. Visual voicemail is only $2.99/mo. I just updated my contract and had to look at all of this crap.

3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Perhaps you have a better plan, snowy.

Prices and services offered vary depending on the contract and service location. When I got my first statement I was curious about an 888-xxx-xxxx number that kept popping up with minutes deducted from my 700 min plan (minutes shared between me and my two kids). I called Verizon and was told that it was deducting minutes every time I accessed my voice mail and the minutes racked up the longer I spent in the call. I just checked and yes, the charge, for me, to have visual voice mail is still $9.99/mo. It's possible that, come contract renewal time, I could work out a better rate but I don't really want to pay them any more that I am. $250.00 a month for a fairly basic plan is enough. My current 2 year contract expires in November. I don't anticipate getting a better deal from them so I may be switching to Credo. I've been looking at them for a while now and though the price of the plans isn't any cheaper, it's not any more expensive. My main concern would probably be coverage area as I live in a rural area. The main reason I'd choose them over Verizon and the main Verizon competitors is - They claim they don't contribute to conservative politicians or causes.

Of course, this is way off topic so I'll quit my bitchin' about it here.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I had Verzon when I lived up north... HATED them. God help you if you have a problem with your phone, min. 30 min. wait time to talk to some kid whose just going to pass it off to someone else and ask you to come back later. And yes they nickle and dime you for EVERYTHING.

I now live in Mexico and HATE TelCel, they make Verzion look good. They had my iPhone for almost two weeks and still didn't resolve the issue. I went on-line and found a solution myself.
    --- merged: Oct 5, 2011 8:31 PM ---
    Yes, I really think it depends on where you live and when you signed up. I worked with a lady who was paying AT&T nearly double what I was paying. we both switched to Verizon when our plans ended. I got a family plan with three phones and she got a single plan, same phone, her bill was nearly as much as mine. But my kid kept using the text feature, something new back then, and it nearly doubled my bill.

5. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

I don't answer any number I don't recognize. The voicemail gets sent to me as a text. If it is an important number, I'll add it to my contacts.