1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rogue49, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

Wrong.

Last year it was 60k from the flu.

This year was even predicted to be worse, but many are being reassigned to covid deaths, especially in NY.

I get this forum is on the fear side but this isn't as huge a deal as some are saying and there will be a second outbreak because you can't hide from this sort of thing. Its time to start things up again, if people don't like it they are free to hide at home.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=flu+mortality+2017-2018+USA

Search Results
    Featured snippet from the web
    CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2017–2018 season was high with an estimated 45 million people getting sick with influenza, 21 million people going to a health care provider, 810,000 hospitalizations, and 61,000 deaths from influenza (Table 1).Nov 22, 2019

Estimated total Covid 19 deaths in the US is 48k currently.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Harris County, where Houston is located, is starting a Masks Mandatory In Public policy on Monday.

Oddly I caught this news report when I returned from grocery shopping during which I wore my mask for the first time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. redux

redux Very Tilted

From CDC....
    CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This burden was similar to estimated burden during the 2012–2013 influenza season.
    Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 influenza season | CDC

From the National Review article
    But as Rich Lowry pointed out last week, “if we are going to have 60,000 deaths with people not leaving their homes for more than a month, the number of deaths obviously would have been higher — much higher — if everyone had gone about business as usual.” Indeed, the IMHE model is making an estimate of the death toll only for a first wave of infections, and most of the country will still be vulnerable to infection after the first wave passes.​

So the country is approach 50,000 deaths in just over the last month while a national lockdown was in place.

Yes, COVID-19 is far worse than the seasonal flu by any measure,

• Like Like x 6
  4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That is how I feel wearing my full face P100 mask at the grocery store surrounded by people who are just shopping like nothing is going on. Luckily for them it isn't too widespread here, but still there are new cases everyday.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

The wife and I are resetting our clocks today, just like, well, clockwork. Both of us in the office today. Another Thursday, another reset.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 23, 2020, Original Post Date: Apr 23, 2020 ---
    The wife and I are going to be wearing masks in public now as well, especially when in the grocery store with the unwashed masses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

I'm seeing more masks and face coverings than before (and I've started wearing my mask). The local Kroger has had shields at the registers for several weeks, and most employees are wearing masks.
    BUT I still see sackers yacking away in loud voice, and laughing...with no masks.
    AND store managers with no masks standing two feet from employees, talking and laughing.

At the Ace Hardware near me one employee received a stern warning about not wearing their mask, "no mask, no work." He was told to step away from the customer, and to wait while the manager got him a mask.

The downside is the same store wanted $34.99 for what appeared to be a basic (but heavy duty?) paper mask. TBF I didn't handle the box to read the info/details.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

I have one cloth mask that one of my wife's co-workers made. It's just large enough to sort of fit, but just small enough to not fit comfortably. I'll be checking the local hardware stores for some kind of back-up, or replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You basically can use almost anything as a mask
    The key is you’re not protecting yourself...you’re protecting others
    So whatever prevent spittle, sneeze, coughs from getting out all over.
    Even a simple cloth folded over
    Even paper towels

It doesn’t have to go under your chin or be fully enclosed
    Just over your nose and mouth.
    Silk doesn’t let things though but it’s not breathable
    You shouldn’t wear it longer than 30 minutes
    Because it gets saturated and then makes you more vulnerable
    And you should change it out every time
    And wash it through cycles

You’re doing this to help the rest of the population

* And thing to protect you, that’s the N35 masks
    And make sure you get taught/training on those
    Make sure they’re sealed correctly and completely
    No longer than 30 min also
    Have to trade out those too

Really it’s just easier to have 10 or so cloths
    And go through them throughout the week
    With one or more washes (with detergent)

Actually, there’s some cool ones for sell now
    Have rock bands and prints on them
    You can collect them...express yourself
    Like a tshirt

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. juanlien New Member

Hope hopefully this calamity is fast passed[​IMG]

10. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Well.. I'm sick. I don't know if it's COVID (I doubt it.. I don't have a fever, but I do have an ear infection, sore throat, some drainage, headache, but definitely severe fatigue), but I won't be able to get tested again because I am not going to be a patient-facing healthcare provider for at least the next two weeks, so the quarantine period will be up by the earliest potential time I can return to work.

This sucks. I'm on antibiotics since I went to urgent care on Tuesday, but they don't seem to be doing a thing yet.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

Take them all the way to the end of the prescription. Takes time to work.

12. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I’m very aware that I’m supposed to take a full course of antibiotics. I work in healthcare. I’m just frustrated that I’m feeling worse each day rather than improving even a little.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

hope you feel better.

my headache just will not go the fuck away..

Trump has made it known that he is not happy with Ga governor Kemp. and alot of us here in GA feel the same way, some places are to open today and some on monday. but MOST of the places are deciding aganist it and staying closed or just doing take out. I think Kemp realized he fucked up but its too late now

• Like Like x 3
  14. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Seniors With COVID-19 Show Unusual Symptoms, Doctors Say — Kaiser Health News
    My dad fit this description for Covid-19. Exhausted, no interest in eating, disoriented, dizzy.
    A phone conversation with him set off my warning bells so those who live closer checked in,kept him eating, and got him to a doc. They would not test him for covid-19, but they did decide to change up his meds for diabetes. He seems much better now, but it was a rough month.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. genuinemommy

I hope you start seeing improvement soon.

• Like Like x 3
  16. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I hope you are okay. This stuff sucks to catch. I am terrified to catch it a second time, and testing positive again after being asymptomatic for 14 days is just downright cruel.

• Like Like x 2
  17. genuinemommy

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

Social media is a great propaganda tool.

The battle between the extremes, alarmists versus deniers, is going to get worse before it gets better.

If it turns our we stopped the precautions too soon, what will the deniers have to say? If the virus turns out to be contained, what will the alarmists have to say?

We, and I mean that globally as well, are going to have one hell of a mess after this passes.

Will erring on the side of caution make the recovery worse? Will going back to business as usual cause a new pandemic?

Unfortunately the answers to both questions could be yes, no, and possibly.

• Like Like x 2
  19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Actually, it's been confirmed that Russia, China, North Korea, Iran and other opposition groups are attacking the US daily. (and other countries, it just that the US is falling hard for it)
    These state-sponsored hacking groups are doing literal theft, intellectual property theft, infrastructure corruption, manipulation and propaganda.
    I get multiple reports on this daily for work alone as a cybersecurity engineer. Much less what is reported by intelligence agencies and other security groups.
    They want to see chaos reign. Our weakness is their strength.

The Deniers are more trouble than alarmists in this case...because with the virus, the more you deny it, the more deaths accumulate by spreading it further.
    @Chris Noyb - ignorance is NOT bliss in this circumstance. And a bit of caution and paranoia is beneficial.
    As Andrew Cuomo said, the alternative is death. This is not an exaggeration.
    It may not be your death or someone you know...but it DOES affect others. They're important too.
    Going back to biz will create a new wave and restart the cycle.
    Unfortunately, people will have to learn the hard way.

Until there is an antivirus, we have to prepare ourselves...and ignore those who want to stoke the flames of anger.
    Quite frankly, Nature doesn't care about our schedules, borders or finances...this vicious thing just keeps going as long as it can.
    You can deny it, dismiss it or minimize it...but that will just make it worse.

It's sad to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Chris Noyb

@rogue49 While I don't think you were singling me out for trivializing the Covid-19 pandemic, I want to make something clear:

I support erring on the side of caution. While I hope it doesn't happen, I think we're setting ourselves up for a resurgence in cases and more deaths.

• Like Like x 2