1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rogue49, Feb 28, 2020.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

All set, one and done with the J&J
    Hopefully it’s a smooth ride from here on

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

Any symptoms or issues? I'm still doing fine, no symptoms at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

Nothing bad
    I was tired for a couple of days
    Took a day off to rest, but this could have easily been lack of sleep or the weather, but to be sure...

Today, no worries and tons of energy
    Frankly, I’m being quite annoying. ;)

——

On another note, people can be assholes about it.
    Opinion | I got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Monday and took a selfie. Things got weird after that. — NBC News

Listen, I got J&J and I have no fears or worries
    These are 6 people out of 8.2 million (0.000073%)
    Not likely anything would happen and these odds are better than the damn flu shot...or pretty much any.
    I worked in the pharmaceutical industry and did research to get drugs through the FDA process.
    This is unusually high preponderance of caution.

Frankly, I think something is fishy...
    Was the U.S. right to pause the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?

They really need to get this out, the help it can add to getting everyone vaccinated is profound.

However, the timing is fine, stores were going to go down 85% anyway, because of the muck up at the one plant and they’re scrambling to produce more.

And fortunately, we also have more than enough Pfizer and Moderna, so we’re covered.

(Why does so much seem to not affect them??? No negatives, no bad press...they all have issues; especially putting them out this fast in such great volume)

Anyway, a pattern and trend to look into.

But anyone deciding to take J&J, will be just fine, as well as any other AV...with minimal effects.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Eventually we will have enough shots of Pfizer and Moderna, but Michigan and a few other states need them now. Michigan is still around 35% of people getting at least 1 shot. There should be long lines at outdoor stadiums of people wanting to get the vaccine. Go to the high schools and give the vaccine to every student that has permission. I don't understand why the CDC/Biden isn't sending more vaccines to Michigan and trying to get the state more vaccinated to try and stop the spread of the variant. It is easier trying to get as many Michiganders vaccinated (and the other states with a lot of increasing cases) than deal with what the country will look like if it isn't stopped from spreading to other states.

How Is The COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign Going In Your State?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. rogue49

6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Not to downplay the importance of safety, but isn't the number of people reporting clotting problems a tiny percentage of the people who received the JnJ vaccination?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

It's miniscule.
    The drive over to get the vaccine is more dangerous for people than the vaccine itself in most cases.
    However having said that.....for women up to age 50 I think given what we know so far, and what we don't know, it makes sense for them to receive an RNA vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rogue49

Let's check in on how India is coping with Covid-19. "Crematoriums have been running so long that their metal parts have begun to melt." Huh

There’s several countries that need to be reviewed on their death totals

Not just India...China, Russia, Venezuela, etc
    Sadly, many are doing it just to save face.

We’re likely not going to get true numbers until years out, if that.

Unfortunately, the powers that be are often sacrificing the living, by not being honest what the real impact is.

Your life and health...meh
    Looking great..that’s what counts. :(

And speaking of selfish and inane...
    Ted Nugent Tests Positive for COVID After Calling Pandemic a ‘Hoax': ‘I Thought I Was Dying’

Some just don't admit reality until it happens to them.
    Even worse, they encourage others.:mad:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It does look like India and Brazil are getting hit hard now. I think it was a mistake on Biden's part to not use the DPA to build second and third mRNA vaccine production plants. Or at least expand the facilities so the materials don't need to get shipped all over to create a batch. Biden seemed to have thought more about the 600 million American doses and not the 7 billion world wide doses that it would be good to have. Along with any additional booster doses.

10. MrMD069

My second son got his second dose yesterday. Fever and chills overnight and today, a headache. Other than that he's functioning well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Was it Moderna? It is something the medical researchers should be studying why some people react and others have no reaction at all. I had no symptoms at all after my 2nd Pfizer shot.

12. rogue49

How India Went From A Ray Of Hope To A World Record For Most COVID Cases In A Day — NPR

I hate to say it, this is why I’m still isolating to a certain extent
    Not fully jumping back into everything and crowds
    Even if I’ve had the shot...

We don’t know when things are going to quickly change
    Right now, only 40% have has the antivirus and it’s slowing down in pace...many aren’t getting it due to some sense of rebellion, fear or invulnerability.

The virus doesn’t care about politics or intelligence
    (look at Ted Nugent)
    It can surge forth again, in the US, Europe, India, China, Japan, etc

I think we need to be like hedgehogs here
    Start emerging...but with caution. Ready to pull back if needed. We cannot fully go back to where we were yet.
    It’s acting with some awareness
    Acting with caution, like crossing a busy street
    Just like a car can hit ya
    The virus still can too

We’re getting there...
    We need to encourage others to get the shot
    Not act like kids screaming getting out of school
    Act like adults, with some discretion and a measured pace.

We’ll get there
    But we have to respect those aftershocks after an earthquake.
    Because this crud shook the earth.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  13. rogue49

U.S. to share AstraZeneca vaccine stockpile with the world — Axios

Let’s hear it, for a good move.
    It’s a benefit to the world, helping it get under control.

And in a cynical angle, it has 2 benefits for the US.
    1. It’s less likely to rebound or spread again into the country (what comes around goes around, less variants)
    2. It’s good will to the rest of the world.
    Helping the US reputation after T’s fiasco.

I hope all nations do the same.
    Nature doesn’t care about borders or politics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. fflowley

And remember it's not even approved for use in this country and I think it's unlikely it ever will be.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

CDC says many Americans can now go outside without a mask | WTOP

I'm happy and ambivalent about this.
    Honestly, I'm grateful to be more free...it really is a release.

BUT...I also see what's happening in India...and think, "what if?"
    What if we're normalizing too fast.
    Supposedly, the antivaxes handle the variants...but

I'm glad to be freer...but is there going to be a price? My paranoia is in the back of my head.
    Doesn't help that some nations are lying about numbers...so, what's real...what's coming?

The only thing I have confidence in, is I know the current administration is WAY more on top of it, the CDC isn't mucked with anymore...and my state (Maryland is practiced and aware)
    So if something is going to happen...I think they'll be more ahead of it and ready to tackle it. I'll have some time to pull back in to safety measures.

This thing is fucked...invisible, spreads through air...it just doesn't give a fuck who it fucks with.
    I long for the days of no paranoia. (but I do hope everyone keeps washing their damn hands :eek:)

I feel like a deer...skittishly coming out of the forest, bit by bit, looking for shit.
    Which is funny, I'm normally not at all deer-like...more grab the bull by the horns type, no fear.

Well, anyway...step by step.
    Get your shots.
    Before it becomes a peer-pressure thing. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If the AstraZeneca vaccine isn't approved, it is more of a problem with the approval process than anything else. There are millions of people who have taken this vaccine outside of the US, so there is plenty of real world evidence from real people about how effective it is along with any potential side effects.

I am just hoping that they aren't holding back on sending the shots to hot zones because they want other companies to be able to sell their vaccine to them. Or because they want the right wing leaders in India and Brazil to suffer the consequences of their policy decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  17. estensore New Member

Here in my city coronavirus is not that bad. Just annoying the travel restrictions.

18. fflowley

I don't agree with you.
    A-Z made some serious errors with their vaccine.
    The biggest one involved giving thousands of patients in their clinical trial the wrong dose.
    I do clinical research for (part of) my living.
    That is a never event.
    As in full stop, that never should happen, how the F did that just happen?
    It's like a surgeon cutting off the wrong leg of a patient who needs an amputation.
    Once you commit an error like that, everything about your program is suspect. If that happened in a study I was the investigator for I would immediately prepare my resume because I would need a new job.
    Given that we have the availability of other vaccines with more robust data, I don't see why the FDA would rush to approve the A-Z vaccine.

19. fflowley

Where in Italy are you from?
    We visited a couple of years ago and loved it. We want to visit again but I worry about how badly Covid has hurt Italy and we don't want to come when you aren't ready to have visitors.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrMD069

I've reached full immunity today. 20 days after the J&J. Won't be removing that mask anytime soon though, at least indoors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1