1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rogue49, Feb 28, 2020.

1. omega

omega Very Tilted

Thanks for the concern, everyone. So far it's been like a nasty cold. Wife was on the upswing after a few days. I might be heading there as well. See how long it takes to actually wrap up and return to normal. No sense of smell right now. At all. Nothing. Otoh, no hospital for either of us. So vaccine is helping there at least. Lots of sinus pressure. Tired of my eyeballs hurting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

India’s brutal delta-driven wave ended when cases suddenly plunged. Weeks later, the stubborn variant persists. — The Washington Post

I feel for India, they’re going through a lot.
    It’s predicted that the numbers they’ve experienced is likely 4-5 times what is official.

People are dying that they just can’t keep track of.
    Nor confirm CV19 is what was the reason.

Many of my work associates are from there or ARE there.
    They’re being incredibly professional despite the fear and tragedy…many cases directly impacting their own families.

I can’t imagine the pressure they’re under.
    Wish the best for them…hope it stabilizes soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

india numbers.jpeg

The India situation is interesting. Was it the vaccine that brought down the cases, or did the virus just infect enough people asymptotically that they got to herd immunity? I also wonder if there isn't some level of immunity built in from past virus outbreaks or even just certain cold viruses. Because the numbers don't really make a lot of sense, but the same pattern has happened in Brazil (although they only are reporting deaths reliably), the UK, the Netherlands, and others.

But, we will see how things play out in the US. Daily case numbers have dipped nationwide, but schools and big sporting events are starting back up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

Both...or all of the above.
    IRL normally multiple or many factors come into play. (for both the rise & fall of circumstance).
    It's rarely an either/or, this or that factor that does the trick. (as many humans mistakenly expect, including scientists & experts - Ex: the idea that only market animal exposure was the only source of the virus)

What the antivax does is add to the heap so it gets over the threshold...adding to the beneficial factors in full.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 8, 2021, Original Post Date: Aug 6, 2021 ---
    New Texas school COVID-19 guidelines rattle medical experts

Almost seems like their solution is, "Die Now, Die Early". :eek:
    Are they trying to provoke the Apocalypse early?

Don't the politicians realize they have a responsibility to the public??
    No they have to make a point for an agenda. :mad:

How many have to die, be harm, be hospitalized, become ill before they do the right thing??? :confused:
    Nope, only when it happens to THEM. Everyone else can croak in the meantime.

I tell ya, the states that are doing these incredibly irresponsible things...let's give ya hint that maybe YOU will understand :rolleyes:
    you are only hurting your own voting chances. Because it will mean mostly YOUR voters will be dead or hospitalized.
    That's right those "liburls" and "tree huggers" and "science-freaks" and even RINOs & GDIs, will be alive and well. Why? Because they took the antivax. They're wearing those damn masks.

I'd be happy to let ya hang yourselves. ;)
    Unfortunately, you're also potentially harming the students...who haven't had a shot yet. (BTW...YES, young people can get it too...and even die from it)
    AND they're potentially harming the teachers...AND still spreading the crud about even more.

Sure, let's get further into death and mayhem...like those "other countries", India, Brazil, Russia...even France
    Wait, the US has the highest death count...gee, I wonder WHY??? :oops:
    NOT a "win" to aspire to.

Start smart.
    Play it safe.

Get the shot, do whatever precautions needed, be transparent.
    Easy.

This is NOT just an inconvenience to you...bad calls and bad policy are an inconvenience to ALL
    Including those businesses you worry so much about and the impact to the almighty $$$. (BTW, dead folk can't donate to your campaigns either)

I can't say I don't understand the logic of these "leaders", because there is NO logic.
    KISS - just protect the public.
    Why? Because it's your fucking JOB!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rogue49

Followup…

View: https://twitter.com/Ramos4Texas/status/1424060631552958464?s=20

My point exactly!!!
    They are ruining their political leverage and chances to get re-elected.

Y’gotta be THERE to do shit.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 14, 2021, Original Post Date: Aug 8, 2021 ---

======================================================================
    How AstraZeneca threw away its shot

This is how perception can kill reality.
    AZ is a legit antivax...but there's been just so much bad marketing, bad calls, political agendas and so on, interfering with its distribution and use. (US, UK, EU, etc...globally)

IMHO, there's likely been a conspiracy by Pfizer & Moderna companies, to undermine AZ/Ox's credibilty...so their more expensive and challenge to maintain versions could take the lead.

There's been TONS of politics and financial games being played over these antivaxes. (Death & Harm of millions be damned...they're more concerned with $$$...BILLIONS in currency is their focus)
    Case in point and example, Rand Paul's LATE revelation that his wife invested tons into one of the pharma companies that made an antivax - over a YEAR ago.
    And god knows what kind of choices the Trump administration made...much less, politicians and nations throughout the world. (Russia, China, Brazil, EU, UK, etc...many are NOT innocent)

So humans continue to die, be hospitalized, get sick...while many agendas are filled, for $$$

I do hope AZ is able to recuperate and surge forth as a legit solution and antivax in the long run...
    WHY??? Because the world fucking needs it. IT SAVES LIVES.

This should be the only point out leaders follow, but unfortunately they don't. :mad:
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 14, 2021 ---
    =====================================================
    Followup
    DeSantis, faced with covid surge, urges Floridians to use Regeneron antibody treatment given to Trump

And "follow the money"....
    Geez, are they clumsy :rolleyes: the same drug that T touted, the SAME company that Rand Paul "just declared his wife bought stock in...
    And now this. :confused:

How many GOP'ers are invested in THIS company and drug???
    Connect the dots.
    IDK, but a lot of them have been saying don't get the other drugs, don't wear masks...BUT use this one. Regeneron

Even IF it works, there seems to be an agenda and conflict of interest...and a potential pattern emerging.

Death for $$$
    An age old same by corrupt elite. :eek: (BTW, they're not all corrupt and out for $$$. but enough are)

And right now, I'd start probing the firebrand GOP...Cruz, Abbott, McCarthy, etc...)
    In fact, I'll place a bet. :mad:
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 14, 2021 ---
    ======================================
    They worry the Johnson & Johnson shot isn’t enough. A new study offers answers — and questions.

J&J is just as good as the others at preventing death, hospitalization and prevent you spreading it to others. close to 100%
    It's just in getting a less harmful catch, it's 70% vs 90%

There seems to be a negative hype and push against J&J too, like AZ...just not as bad, Again, I'd look at Pfizer & Moderna...and those invested in them as potential culprits.
    Not guaranteed but very suspicious...

Just get a friggin' shot...no matter what it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

I got the J&J, no symptoms, no reinfections (so far). I still wear my mask in indoor places because I could be a carrier. It's a total shit show and will be for some time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I just need to respond to this and say you are using the phrase “antivax” when you should be using vaccine or “vax” if you really want to make it shorter. AZ and Moderna etc do not make an “antivax,” they make a vaccine. Antivax refers to the perspective of individuals who are against a vaccine. Please get your terminology right so you aren’t muddying your point. It made your post hard for me to read and really understand what you were saying.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dayja New Member

Look at what is happening in Arizona and the choices of politics and money over safety. Our governor is withholding state educational funding from any school district that mandates a mask.
    His philosophy changed as soon as Trump criticized him about how he was handling covid. Now you go into a store and no one is in mask, but out number are rising again but our governor is antivax and anti-mask.

• Like Like x 3
  9. rogue49

Thank you very much
    I always get those all muttled up.
    Then again, I get a few other terms in my own industry mixed up too. No matter how long I’ve known.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 18, 2021, Original Post Date: Aug 15, 2021 ---
    ===============================
    And FYI
    In a Handful of States, Early Data Hint at a Rise in Breakthrough Infections

Make sure you're still cautious and aware, even if given the shots.
    Respect the masking requests that are increasing again.
    Maybe avoid those big crowds, especially inside. (myself included)
    The vaccinated aren't totally free, unfortunately.
    And there's still always a chance of other variants beyond Delta even, surging forth.

It would help greatly if the unvaccinated would get their damn shots. Herd yadda yadda yadda...they're just extending the pain. :mad:
    We gotta be diligent and tweak this until it fades away. (cross your fingers)

Bit by bit.
    It ain't magic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

• Like Like x 3
  12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

That's great!
    I am pretty sure that this is a situation of too little too late. The damage is already done.
    I am looking forward to when any of the vaccines become easily available for children 2+. We live in Florida and it's a mess here right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. omega

omega Very Tilted

Just as a followup. Was like a weeklong cold. Several weeks later, sense of smell is mostly back. I'm pretty sure it is not 100% though. Have chest congestion every day. Not terrible, but enough to make me cough multiple times a day. I also sneeze about 10 times a day, it seems. Flonase does help with the nasal congestion a bit. Energy seems fine in the gym. Just the nagging cough and congestion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for following up on it!

15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

In our area (maybe other?) $100.00 gift cards are being offered to entice unvaccinated folks to get vaccinated. I have mixed feelings about this, not sure paying the stupid and/or ignorant for getting vaccinated is a good.

Our governor, Greg Abbott, has issued a Can't Mandate Masks In Public Schools order. This is being fought in the Texas (conservative) courts. When no one knew exactly where Covid was heading Abbott followed Trunp's The Buck Doesn't Stop Here lead, saying the individual counties and cities knew best what actions to take. But now he wants to tell individual school districts what to do.

16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I saw he caught it too.
    What an incredible asshole.

17. Chris Noyb

An asshole of extraordinary magnitude, and of average intelligence.

Abbott is, of course, downplaying how contagious Covid is; gawd forbid he say Covid is something that should concern us.

• Like Like x 2
  18. omega

omega Very Tilted

Dropping off my kids with the ex-wife this morning. She tells me that both her unvaxxed 80+ year old parents are in the hospital on oxygen for covid now. Her mom had gone down the conspiracy hole. I'm very upset because they are good people who dote on their 2 daughters. Also, my parents are long dead, so these are my girls only grandparents. And they were part of my life for 20 years. I hope we don't lose both of them.
    There has to be some calculus that would allow us to measure the total deaths attributable to the lies spewed by fox entertainers like sean hannity and fucker Carlson. Where can the ethical line be drawn that says a bullet to the back of the head is the right and appropriate action? Their words have killed more than bin laden could dream of. Pretty sure that death calculus rubicon was crossed early last year. Like putting down a rabid dog. No emotion, no hesitation. Just kill it and move on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. rogue49

@omega IMHO, I couldn’t agree more with your sentiments

But, since we don’t officially kill people, only spontaneously if they’re an inconvenience for the weapon wielded…
    I think they’re going to start going through the law to zap these idiots

GOP bans on school masks draw federal civil rights challenges — POLITICO

Unfortunately, it’s going to be a turtle pace
    Not cathartic like a quick double tap would be. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

I'm sorry to hear about your ex-inlaws, and wish them speedy recoveries.

At times I seriously like the idea of a Radical Left Movement to tell the dipshits on the right who promote violence, "Bring it on, assholes." But that's not the answer (although under certain circumstances it would be fun AND legal).

What if there had been equal number of Democracy Defenders at the Capitol Building on 06 Jan 21? Or a much greater number to literally beat the shit out of the insurgents?

Back on topic. I still like my idea of internment facilities (death camps) for Covid deniers and anti-vaccination supporters.

Edit: I stand by the above comments, but I feel compelled to offer an explanation of sorts. Recently I have been out trying to restock some ammunition since it is now trickling back into the stores. And I've been researching ammunition and certain firearms on the internet. This has (again) exposed me to a variety of extreme right wing assholes. I know they are most likely the vocal minority, but they still piss me off. Oh yes, standing in a gun store explaining why Trump was incompetent, that he did lose the 2020 election, and the Capitol Building should've been defended by armed National Guard troops is not a good idea.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 27, 2021, Original Post Date: Aug 27, 2021 ---

I'm really glad to see this. Our not very bright Texas Governor Greg Abbott has made a huge issue out of schools and mask mandates. Many school districts are issuing mask mandates in defiance of his order banning them.

When Trump and the Republican leadership was not sure what was happening with Covid-19 they happily passed the buck to the states to figure it out. Abbott happily passed the buck to the counties and cities. But now he wants to control what the school districts can and can't do. If Texas wasn't such a loyal red state this might put Abbott in serious poitical jeopardy.