1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Coworkers: Do you like them?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Japchae, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

No. When I first started working for the place 5 years ago, I made an attempt with socializing with them, but over time I just found most of my coworkers to be annoying because all they do is complain about doing work or discuss the same stuff every day. Do they not realize this?

2. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

Ok I only started my job 3 and a half weeks ago. So this may be jumping the gun. However I'm friends with no one at my workplace. My last job I had so many friends none of whom were my age. My workplace friends were all 40 to 50 years old. I'm 25. Therefore we didn't hang out together outside of the workplace. They had family to go to. I didn't mind. It seems I don't tend to get a long with meany people my age. My workplace is filled with people in my age bracket. When talking to them I feel like I've already grown up and they clearly have a few years to go. When talking about things for example such as pay day and what we would want to spend our money on. Or things we want to save up for. They talk about a $300 Michael Kors hand bag or watch they've been eyeing and how much they need it. How they need to stalk up on some pre-made meals. Since they can only crash their parents dinner time so often. Then money for bar hopping. I talk about food and recipes I want to try. Bills that need to be payed and money to move into a new apartment. I'm not one for "partying". It seems that's how most of these people like to spend their free time. I don't like to drink. I hate crowds of people and lots of noise. My idea of a good time is to relax and watch a movie play some video games, whatever. I'm hoping I'll soon have someone to relate to. It kid of sucks to sit there and keep to ones self. Perhaps when the school year start most of these people will be gone and more older people will come forth. Or mabe I'll be lucky and meet someone my age with the same interests. That would be awesome.

3. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

As a freelance designer, my co-workers constantly change. There are certain people I don't like working with, but I know that my time with them will be brief

4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I dislike most of my co-workers and hate the rest of them. One tech I can get along with enough to go to lunch, but that motherfucker is a passive aggressive bitch. The salesman is a snake-oil charlatan, the boss' daughter is a whiny, feminist-wannabe, moody man-hater, and the Bossman is so far behind he has no idea what any of us are doing. I'm amazed sometimes that the company keeps running.

I hate my job if you didn't notice.

I will say this, it seems like the deeper I get into the cubical world, the less I want to hang out with anyone at work. When I was cooking, people were hanging out after work all the time. Now, I see 5:00 hit my clock and I don't want to talk to anyone afterwards. Been like that for all my office jobs.

5. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

TLDR: You grew up and all the people who didn't annoy you now. Welcome to 'being an adult', hon.

I get along with most of my co-workers, but we don't really do outside of work socialization. Company lunches and the company Christmas party seem to be the extent of our out-of-office socialization, and honestly? I'm pretty okay with that. I didn't join the company to make friends. I already have those. I'm here to make money and build a career.

6. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

I like most of my coworkers (apart from a chosen few..). Some of them has also found their way into our social circle.

7. raptor9k Vertical

I really like the team I work with and we all seem to get along pretty well. We don't exactly socialize outside of work all that often but sometimes we head across the street after work to grab a beer. The only reason I'm still working where I do is the people I work with. If it came down to the job or the pay I would've left long ago.

8. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I could choke the shit out of some of them, but for the most part I'm pretty laid back, as a result, I get along with everyone.....

9. cellophanedeity

cellophanedeity New Member

Just as an update to my previous post (to vent) I told the one coworker I dislike that I was having a rough day, and she just ragged on me until I ended up crying. How humiliating.

10. I like all of my coworkers, but I don't work with anyone I would see socially after 5. At my last job, several of us would have a girls night every once in awhile, but that stopped when the company fell apart. There is one woman I still keep in touch with from that job - I consider her a good friend, we socialize often, we go to her kid's birthday parties and vice versa, she's met my family and vice versa. I miss working with her.

I met my husband at work, oddly enough.

11. When I worked at the Health Department, I made some really awesome friends who I hung out with outside of work on a regular basis. We've all since left that job. I consider C to be one of my BEST friends and we email each other every day. I have late night text conversations with L all the time. I actually saw a co-worker from the health dept. the other day. Her parents live in the same town I do in Oregon and she was out visiting me. We got together for dinner and drinks. She's damn funny and I like talking with her.

My job now, most of my coworkers are old enough to be my parent. Not that I'm not capable of hanging out with someone in their 50s or 60s, I just don't see us having much in common. I could see hanging out with the one that is closer to my age outside of work. She's married, but not with kids so we could go out more. She cracks me up. I should see if she'd like to have lunch someday.

12. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Yes, and I totally have a friend crush on one of my coworkers. Turns out she's more of a homebody than I am.

13. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

I change co-workers pretty often, so I can't say I've built close relationships with any of them. That said, there are a handful that I'd consider friends, and there are still more that I enjoy as acquaintances. Overall, I tend to get along with my co-workers, but I do sometimes have difficult translating that into an outside-of-work relationship. I'm not opposed to the idea though.

14. LinaT14

LinaT14 Vertical

I get along with quite a lot of my coworkers. I do hang out with a bunch of them, and a few I consider real friends. I try to get along with everyone because in a customer service environment it helps to blow off steam with coworkers you know won't try to get you canned if some colorful language slips out, and it feels good to know you can brighten someone else's day just by listening.

15. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Like anywhere, I like some of them, hang out fairly regularly with some and wish to spend as little time as possible with others. I am a bit different in that I work from home, so I rarely see most of my colleagues face to face.

16. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

Initially I felt a bit like Magpie, annoyed at all the trivialities and nonsense my coworkers would take on as serious conversation and especially annoyed that on the rare occasion that I cared enough to engage them in what I would term to be a meaningful conversation it'd always end in me being looked at as if I had two heads, mouths agape all around me and only something to the effect of "that's deep" offered in response.

But then I stopped being a dick and realized the opportunity to work in a pretty dynamic environment with a whole host of people from different backgrounds and ages is a hell of a lot more of an opportunity for me to hone my social skills than anything to be annoyed about.

I'm still underpaid, disliking my job most days and bored of my coworkers but in this economy you've gotta be grateful for whatever work you can find and make the most of it daily.

17. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

One of my closest friends is a former co-worker, I actually was his immediate supervisor at one point.

18. shoegirl

shoegirl Vertical

At my current job, I like quite a few of my coworkers. That said, I only socialize with 3 or 4 outside of work, and would only consider 1 to be a true friend. I find it easier to try to like and get along with most of the people I work with, if nothing else but to make my life and workday easier. There are several people here that I can't stand, but I suppose most jobs are like that.

When I was 16, I started working at a local pizza shop. The job itself wasn't anything special, but the group of people working with me were. Over a decade later, I'm still friends with nearly everyone I worked with there - and the group of friends has mostly stayed together. They're truly like family to me.

19. Frankie

Frankie Slightly Tilted

I retired a year ago but I will say this i worked for 18 years with for the most part with a small group of total assholes. I don't care if I ever see or hear from them again.

20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'm kind of lucky.
    I work in an environment where all of my coworkers are kind and generous.
    Most of them have degrees in counseling and we work as a tight team.
    I have gone out with them on a number of occasions as a way of drinking our frustrations away.
    I wouldn't say they are my best friends but I know I can count on them.