1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

creat-volution

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by issmmm, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Heh. & what's up with gravity? I fell down once.

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Right. Sometimes it seems like creationists take the belief in evolutionary theory as some kind of personal affront. As if we purposefully and stubbornly refuse to accept their irrational theories because they are so christian-y. It belies an absolute ignorance of what inspires the acquisition of scientific knowledge - that which is passion. Christians don't own the copyright.

3. Ourcrazymodern?

I suspect our purpose creates our stubbornness. It seems to me the goddists are lazy.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Good point. There is no copyright on knowledge.

5. Ourcrazymodern?

We hold our own copyrights, right?

6. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

/I'm going to hell

8. Ourcrazymodern?

There's a very real possibility I'll join you there.

9. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I've been to France, so I can confirm it's real. Here's the thing though, you've never seen ME so am I real?

10. Ourcrazymodern?

You couldn't do that if you weren't. ...I've been to Paris both ways, but not in reality.

11. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

No, but I've seen a boot. Shouldn't Italy be the shape of pizza? Fishy, don't you think?

12. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

so all of you reject the possibility of a God?

Not looking for an explaination just a declaration, a yes or no.

And yes there is a middle

13. Every religion has a version of the creation story. Most predate the Judeo-Christian tradition. The Chinese, Norse, Greeks, Mesopotamians... everybody had one. Heck, the Egyptians kept rewriting theirs. Pick one and defend it to the death against all evidence.

The people living on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea had a bunch of stories, passed down through the generations. These stories were the attempt to explain the world by simple nomads and tribesmen. They were collected and assembled into a book, called Genesis. A culture was built around this book, and, eventually, a religion.

A very vocal portion of our population would have the whole world mindlessly accept the story that some ancient nomadic father made up to quiet his inquisitive child, rather than try to make sense of the evidence at hand. By that logic, we should still be working with stone axes and communicating by beating drums.

The thing about evolution... keep tracking backward, all the way to the Big Bang (theory) and postulate beyond. Everything came from something. I think that is where many scientists find God, or keep looking for him.

14. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

A true skeptic, or a scientist, would not reject the possibility of a god, no. The probability, based on what we know, is low. The probability of the gods that have been proposed by religions so far, is very, very low. The possibility/probability of most, based on contradictions in the texts of these religions, is exactly zero.

As grumpyolddude aludes to above, we have been looking for a god in the gaps of our knowledge, and as we've looked we have found answers that have no need of the deity. So why propose one at all, until we find evidence of a deity?

15. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

Reject the possibility? No. Because I can no more prove that there is not a god, then you can prove there is one (without requiring me to take a leap of faith).

16. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I was just wondering, through my ignorance: Do Muslims adhere to a creationist belief? Do people in, say, Teheran, wrestle with this question? Do Muslim clerics admit to the possibility of evolution?

Lindy

17. It's my understanding that Islam accepts the Old Testament, so I would assume that Genesis is their working view on creation. Not a scholar on world religions, though.

18. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

The existence of a god and the theory of evolution aren't mutually exclusive. There is nothing to prove or disprove whether God or sheer happenstance caused the big bang to occur (if you believe that such a thing happened).

Scientists make guesses on what happened (and happens) based on the available evidence. Religions ask people to have faith that God exists, without any clear evidence to back up that claim.

and I've also been to France, and I guess I flew somewhere near Italy. Nebraska on the other hand? That place is a myth!

19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

The last refuge of the religious is to say god is responsible for science.

The other team, of course, tends to think science has made us gods.

20. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Don't point that comment at me. I'm an atheist. :)