1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

CROM! Schwarzenegger to play Conan once again

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Say what?

Yeah, you read that right. Ah-nold is going to play Conan, despite being 65 years old.

What do you think?

Is this like Rocky/Rambo except with Schwarzenegger instead of Stallone? I'm not sure yet.

Read on before making any judgements, folks. (I have set the key paragraphs in bold.)

Arnold Schwarzenegger to reprise his role as Conan the Barbarian | Film | guardian.co.uk

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

• Like Like x 3
  3. Baraka_Guru

I agree. I tried really hard to like the Conan reboot, but it was a mistake. I want something more in tune with the mythos.

Yeah, in hindsight they're saying the original Conan movie is great, and not just for its time. I was a kid when I saw it and I don't remember it all that well. (It was probably the mid- to late '80s.) I think I may remember the far-less-stellar followup (Conan the Destroyer) better, which means I'm more than overdue for rewatching Conan the Barbarian.

It's on Netflix. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

We all know what you remember...

Barbarian was good because it was quiet, dark and gritty. I hope they really recapture the sneaky stoic sword-slinger.

5. Baraka_Guru

Oh, man, I'm totally hitting it this weekend.

I've been meaning to watch it again, as I've seen bits of it on TV recently.

My SO rolls her eyes and giggles at it, but she doesn't understand. She was never a scrawny awkward bully-target who was afraid to talk to girls.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeaaah.

7. Baraka_Guru

8. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I have always thought the original was one of the best bad movies ever made. The screenplay was heavy-handed, the story lame and predictable, the acting atrocious, the effects cheesy as hell. But it was a ton of fun to watch, either great fight scenes or unintentionally hilarious drama. You could tell how much Arnold loved the role of Conan, too-- how determined he was to make it great, which just made his dramatic acting and delivery of dialogue all the funnier. I would totally go see this.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I watched the original earlier this week. Like Levite said, it was pretty cheesy but good. I laughed aloud at inappropriate times because of the jokes you guys have made on here. Thanks for that.

I'd be interested in a new movie.

10. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

All kidding aside, I'll be seeing this ONLY if Conan punches one more camel before his trip to Valhalla.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

MMG, Arnold punched out a fucking reindeer in Jingle All the Way. Something tells me they'll have room for it in a Barbarian continuation.

12. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Damn straight he punched a reindeer!

(What, does everyone think we make this up?)

• Like Like x 2
  13. nothing you ever post is ever made up MMG. ever.

I'm the first one in line to watch this. The Conan series, along with Red Sonja were my favourite movies as a kid. I just hope that there's a few epic one liners in there that'd stand the test of time

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I'm looking forward to this. King Conan will be sweet!

Conan the Barbarian was the first R-rated movie my mom took me to see as a kid.
    Talk about embarrassing...the scene with the witch and Conan, and the naked dancers in James Earl Jones' snake temple palace thing.

/facepalm....I popped a boner next to my mother...geez

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Hell yeah, only Arnie can play Conan like it should be played.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

With horrible acting? ;)

17. excuse me? horrible acting??!! Show me one actor that can play a sub-human carnivorous barbarian, and i'll concede that he cant act for shit.

If you wanted to see bad acting, you should check out Hercules in New York. Now THATS bad acting.

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You always had to love the soundtrack of those movies.
    I still have the temple scene background music looping through my head.

19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I can't wait for this.

And the only part of Destroyer that was good was the opening.

20. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

with little in common with the character?

That said, I dont mind seeing another go at seeing Arnie playing the Barbarian-who-is-Conan-in-name-only.

• Like Like x 1