1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ZombieSquirrel, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I understand your angle, but thanks for the insightful comic. You're still confused.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Whiteness is merely a race to which all other races are compared.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

The Scandinavians and Greeks have not put on victim jackets. So they are not offended by those not always flattering images out of their past.

4. Bodkin van Horn

One crucial distinction is that Native Americans still exist, while Vikings do not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Now I wonder how many Greeks still strongly identify with their Classical roots.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If nothing else, cultural appropriation is a messy thing that is not spelled out in a series of binary rights and wrongs.

Like many things that have been lumped into the "politically correct" bucket, my feeling is that it is more important to engage, actually listen to what others are saying, and think about what is being said and done than come up with a one size fits all answer.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Bodkin van Horn

I think that appropriation makes the formation and evolution of culture possible. So it is necessary. But I think when people speak of cultural appropriation, they generally aren't concerned with, say, teenagers, emulating the fashion styles of their great grandparents, even though this is also a form of appropriation. With cultural appropriation, as in all things, context is important and appropriation becomes problematic when it echoes and emulates still-relevant patterns of political domination.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baraka_Guru

And there is a fine line between cultural appropriation and cultural genocide.

/FreeTibet!

9. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Haven't they also been going borderline on good old fashioned killing everyone genocide too?

10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

"Resistance is futile, you will be appropriated."

11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Behavior in the present time is never wrong, merely "inappropriate." Or "bad choices."

12. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

A pretty good article on the subject using one of my favorite movies to explain the concept.

The Nightmare Before Christmas Is Actually About Why Cultural Appropriation Is Terrible | The Mary Sue