1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Quotation

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by uncle phil, Aug 15, 2011.

1. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

These greens are so fast I have to hold my putter over the ball and hit it with the shadow.

~ Sam Snead

2. uncle phil

"What is good? All that enhances the feeling of power, the Will to Power, and the power itself in man. What is bad? All that proceeds from weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is increasing--that resistance has been overcome. Not contentment, but more power; not peace at any price, but war; not virtue, but competence. The first principle of our humanism: The weak and the failures shall perish. They ought even to be helped to perish."

-Friedrich Nietzsche​

3. uncle phil

I was three over today: One over a house, one over a patio and one over a swimming pool..
    ~ George Brett

• Like Like x 1
  4. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.
    Rita Rudner

• Like Like x 1
  5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. Andre Gide

• Like Like x 1
  6. uncle phil

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible."

-Bertrand Russell​

7. uncle phil

Actually, the only time I ever took out a one-iron was to kill a tarantula. And I took a 7 to do that.

~ Jim Murray

8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Christian morality (so called) has all the characters of a reaction; it is, in great part, a protest against Paganism. Its ideal is negative rather than positive; passive rather than action; innocence rather than Nobleness; Abstinence from Evil, rather than energetic Pursuit of Good: in its precepts (as has been well said) "thou shalt not" predominates unduly over "thou shalt."

-- John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)​

• Like Like x 1
  9. uncle phil

"People are the common denominator of progress. So... no improvement is possible with unimproved people, and advance is certain when people are liberated and educated."

-John Kenneth Galbraith​

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

“Why do you think the old stories tell of men who set out on great journeys to impress the gods?

Because trying to impress people just isn't worth the time and effort.”

-- Henry Rollins​

11. uncle phil

The only sure rule in golf is - he who has the fastest cart never has to play the bad lie.
    ~ Mickey Mantle

12. uncle phil

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country ... corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign ... until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."

-Abraham Lincoln​

• Like Like x 2
  13. uncle phil

Sex and golf are the two things you can enjoy even if you're not good at them.
    ~ Kevin Costner

14. uncle phil

"I don't know what will be used in the next world war, but the 4th will be fought with stones."

-Albert Einstein​

15. uncle phil

I don't fear death, but I sure don't like those three-footers for par.
    ~ Chi Chi Rodriguez

16. uncle phil

"Do not fear your enemies. The worst they can do is kill you. Do not fear friends. At worst, they may betray you. Fear those who do not care; they neither kill nor betray, but betrayal and murder exists because of their silent consent."

-Bruno Jasienski​

17. uncle phil

After all these years, it's still embarrassing for me to play on the American golf tour. Like the time I asked my caddie for a sand wedge and he came back ten minutes later with a ham on rye.
    ~ Chi Chi Rodriguez

18. uncle phil

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."

-H. L. Mencken​

19. uncle phil

The ball retriever is not long enough to get my putter out of the tree.
    ~ Brian Weis

20. uncle phil

"In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep."

-Albert Einstein​