1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Day Off Rituals

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by snowy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Do you have any rituals when you get a day off?

I have a surprise day off today, and one of the things I always do at the start of such a day is listen to this song:

It just helps me feel like I'm getting the day off on the right foot.

How about you?

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I wake up happy. :)

I take longer morning walks with Simba.

I enjoy a second cup of coffee in my bathrobe and watch something stupid on streaming while the rest of the house is asleep.

Otherwise, days off are largely used for schoolwork.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I don't put on clothes for awhile.
    I end up playing on the computer a little more in the morning, checking out blogs and things that I normally wouldn't have time to look at in the morning. And I don't always shower right away. Nor do I jump out of bed unless the cats are getting ready to destroy the house because they're not getting attention.
    And then I get to schoolwork....

4. snowy

Yeah, I think schoolwork has to be in there somewhere! That was the purpose of taking today off. Instead of doing that, I ended up shopping for a dress fro the wedding I'm going to this weekend.

5. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

The naked thing has to go in there, too. Or at least the comfy robe like MM does.

6. snowy

Yes, I think so too. I spent about half an hour sitting around in nothing but body lotion yesterday, just letting it sink it. It felt so good!

7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, my ritual for the last two days off has been to lay in bed sneezing and blowing my nose while having a sinus infection. Ugh. I'm sick of being sick, and on the weekend no less!

8. snowy

Sinus infections suck like nothing else. I used to get them chronically. Are you using anything like a neti pot or saline rinse? Once I started using those when having a cold or allergies, my colds/allergies stopped turning into sinus infections.

9. Borla

Years ago I had lots of sinus issues, but once I had a deviated septum fixed and some polyps removed, things got a lot better. I'm usually down to 1-2/yr now.

I typically use Nasonex and Singular when I feel something coming on, and about half the time it keeps things under control and I avert disaster. This time, no dice. I started feeling sick Wed night, but was traveling and just decided to try to go to bed early instead of finding a local pharmacy, probably a mistake. Thurs AM I woke up feeling worse so I grabbed some Sudafed and Afrin from Walgreens. I felt decent through most of Thurs AM and was able to function through the meetings I had to have, but Thurs afternoon/evening by the time I got back home I felt like crap.

Fortunately my wife works for an ENT, so I got some Cipro and Singular started Thurs night. I also used a Neti Pot for the first time Thurs. I felt worse Friday than I did Thurs, though Friday afternoon/early evening I thought I was getting better. By late last night and early this AM I was back to feeling crappy. The last half hour or so I've felt a bit better, so hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to function a little better. Just in time to go to work on Monday. *shakes head*

But long story short, yes, I've found that combatting allergies when they first hit can be good preventative medicine. Usually for me that means Nasonex.

10. snowy

Good luck! I don't have access to prescription allergy medications unless I want to pony up big bucks, so I stick with OTC Zyrtec, the neti pot, and keeping things moist/flowing with Simply Saline. Hope you feel better soon. I also wouldn't surprised if you felt worse on Friday from starting the Cipro--Cipro is a heavy-duty antibiotic. Anytime I've had to be on antibiotics that strong, the first day always feels the worst.

11. Borla

Yeah, I'm fortunate in that regard. I have ok insurance, but being able to often get free samples works well, especially since the main health issue I've had has been sinus stuff. Her doc is awesome too, he even did two nasal surgeries on me with no charge beyond what insurance would pay for.

Thanks, and I hope you are right, I'm sick of being sick!

12. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

Schoolwork, and lesson plans...

13. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

A day off means time to spend relaxing and picking up on projects around home. It usually starts off with a glass of herbal tea followed by a long run. Then I practice mandolin until my fingers can't take the steel strings anymore. Toss in ample cuddling time with our bunny and tending to the herb garden, then it's a pretty satisfying day.

14. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

if i can't golf or work at the hs down in florida i get terribly bored...

i can only read one book at a time...

15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

The cool part about my days off is that they all come together in a long string.

I get to spend every morning in my underwear noodling on TFP for a month straight.

Days off are also an excuse to pour a drink at 1130 and watch 8-disc History channel DVDs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

If I don't sleep too late (I did today), Benjen and I take a longer walk in the morning. I try to give him a longer evening walk if we missed the morning one.

Other than that, I don't have anything set in stone. A lot of times, I sort of make plans ("I should do this or that since I'm off"), but then I end up being lazy and not really doing anything.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

No extra rituals for a day off. I try to wake up before she does so I can have a couple hours peace and quiet before the "do this do that" commences.

18. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Usually, it's the weekends I get off. I like to cook breakfast and just lay around the house. Then watch stupid TV shows on netflix or kill something in a video game (Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!!). Sundays are my clean the house day where I try to clean everything I can and do all the laundry.

19. CoffeeBee

CoffeeBee Slightly Tilted

It depends on if my day off includes the kids or not. If they are home with me, I let them sleep in while I enjoy a quiet cup of coffee (or 2). If they are not home with me, I tend to sleep late, or as late as the kitty will allow.

20. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

I still get up at the same time... 5 a.m. I get a lot done early and nap in the afternoon.