1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Day to day

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by ralphie250, Mar 11, 2014.

1. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Just don't give up. Ok, you had a bad day or week. You have the option AT ANY TIME to change what you're doing. You just have to make the decision.

It's not about being perfect. We all make mistakes. It's about increasing health. Maybe if you think of it that way, instead of trying to lose weight, it will resonate better.

I know you want to be around for your wife and kids - and show them a good example. Making healthy choices is a fantastic way to help ensure you'll be around a long time.

Talk to your wife. Support at home is so important (and helpful) You won't know what she says until you ask.

Get back on the horse.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

sorta. she wants to loose weight also but is no help
    --- merged: Apr 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM ---
    i will check those out when i get home @snowy.

thanks everyone for your support. it means more than you know

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

That's what we're here for. :) I'm sitting over here on the West Coast with my pom-poms, cheering for you, @ralphie250.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphie250

Blush...

5. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Try not to get too focussed on specific weight loss. Especially at the beginning, you probably won't see any great change. You are NOT dieting, you are changing your diet. People who are dieting tend to yo-yo - lose weight while dieting, then go straight back to their old habits and put it straight back on.

If you do crave particular things, can you make them yourself at home? Burgers, pizza etc. can all be made at home and if you do this, you'll know exactly what is in them.

You really need to try and get your wife on board with this. Getting away from food, try to add some simple exercise in regularly (such as walking to the local park). Book it regularly into your diary almost as a date with your wife (and daughter) and get moving.

RE hunger - you aren't hungry, your body is expecting a certain amount of input - ignore it and you'll get used to the new input level. Also, try to remove temptation from the house - the "bad" snacks you might have in the cupboard aren't doing you much good.

Really this just comes down to will power. Being able to say "no" to yourself when you suggest the take out with fries. I'm lined up with snowy with pom-poms as well (though skinny white guys aren't the usual for pom-pom wielding). Stick with it mate, we are supporting you :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Honestly, I would not really cut calories at first but focus more on making good decisions with food first and foremost.

So good it's worth repeating.

And she's got some serious pom-pom's. You should be blushing.
    --- merged: Apr 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM ---
    Well I can't edit that prior post but the first part of it is a quote from Snowy's post above. It should be attributed as such.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

This is all really great stuff, @spindles, and seconded.

Making food at home is also cheaper.

8. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I saw something interesting about real vs. processed foods. They put a tiny pill sized camera in some folks and some got noodles made from scratch (homemade), while others got the pre-packaged kind. The freshly made noodles were broken down much faster and easier by the body than the packaged stuff. A visual reminder that our bodies prefer real food.

That also reminds me of the lady carrying around years old Happy Meals to show how dead that food is. It certainly made me think twice about fast food.

View: http://youtu.be/4IGtDPG4UfI

9. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Similarly to what RedSneaker posted, I came across this the other day:

What's Really In A Big Mac?

Pretty scary list of ingredients for what is a "simple" burger.

10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm hoping the restricted foods listed for Passover will help me break my Winter indulgences.
    Nice thing about it...less carbs. (no leavened bread and such...)

I need to keep the momentum going into Summer.

11. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

Ralphie, as I set here, after having the weird self-conciousness to have logged all the rum I just drank after a shitty day at work into my calorie counting app, I feel you. But every day is a new day. Making a few unhealthy decisions is no big deal. We're working on a lifestyle here, not a short term thing. Life has its ups and downs, and so does our habits. Just like I don't fall back to alcohol to deal with my problems all the time. we don't have to deal with stress with food all the times. I hate to be contrary, but that small meals all the time shit never worked for me. I just found myself being kinda hungry all the damn time. What works for me is eating a bunch of meat mixed with some vegetables to make a nice, satisfying, filling meal. That makes me less wanting to snack all the time. Either way, I'm rambling. Just because you had a bad day yesterday doesn't mean you won't have a great day tomorrow. Try to make the good days slightly more frequent than the bad. That's all. It's a way to live, not a new reason to beat yourself up.

• Like Like x 2
  12. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Ralphie, my friend, you can do this. I know you can.

1) Find your own personal motivation, and stick with it. Maybe you can focus on staying healthy for your beautiful daughter. The point is, you need to find a goal that inspires you.

2) Keep your eyes on the prize. Hold on to your goal. Don't think about how long it may take, don't think about fall off the track for a short period. The only thing that matters is getting to that goal.

3) Don't set a time limit. They're artificial and they force a sense of urgency on you. That makes a cheat day feel even worse. Who cares how long it takes as long as you get there?

4) Visualize success. Think about how you'll look and feel when you reach your goal. Try to imagine the things that you'd do once you met your goal. Maybe it'll be buying a new suit. Maybe it'll be taking your daughter someplace fun that you didn't feel you could get to. Bring those images out on a regular basis and let yourself feel the joy that you're gonna experience when you get there.

5) Use your friends for support. Having a support network is invaluable. lean on them whenever you feel you need it.

Remember, my friend, you're trying to do something that's very hard. Your biology will work against you at times; that's just the way humans have evolved.
    So give yourself a break; don't beat yourself up whenever you slip. Just get back up, dust yourself off, and go calmly back to it.

And never forget that you can do this, and you will do this.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

And now for science instead.

The Burger Lab: Revisiting the Myth of The 12-Year Old McDonald's Burger That Just Won't Rot (Testing Results!) | A Hamburger Today
    The Myth About McDonald's Burgers That Don't Rot - Business Insider

(long story short, when cooked food dries out quickly, it doesn't rot)

14. ralphie250

TODAY IS A NEW DAY

• Like Like x 6
  15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Damn Skippy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Add my name to the list for getting your wife, and/or a friend, on board to help you.

I'm not trying be nosy, or start a deep psyhcological discusssion, but I've seen people consciously & subconsciously sabotage the self-improvement efforts of others.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ralphie250

youre good. if i didnt want people to know things i wouldnt say em

18. ralphie250

boiled egg for breakfast, coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee. carrotts and celery and ranch for lunch. so far today.

tried to talk to the wife last night about it but lets just say i believe tv was more important at that time to her, but i may be wrong, might have been somethiung else

• Like Like x 2
  19. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Sounds good. But unless you're drinking that coffee black - write down what you're adding to it.

Maybe add a handful of almonds to your lunch (15 or so)?

• Like Like x 2
  20. snowy

Just one boiled egg? That's only about 70 calories, @ralphie250. It's probably not enough. Your lunch is also probably not enough. You'll likely end up paying the price at night by overeating to compensate. Spread your calories out a little more evenly.

Calculate your BMR, then factor in your activity level. This calculator allows you to choose your activity level to figure out your BMR+activity, so you'll know your daily caloric needs. Metabolism Calculator

Seriously, use Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com It's super stupid easy to log stuff, and it'll give you a better sense of what each item you stuff in your mouth is worth. It'll also help you track macro and micronutrients; if you're sodium-sensitive and should be keeping track of that to deal with your hypertension, you'll be able to see how much sodium you're ingesting. If you start using it, let me know, and I'll friend you on there.

MFP pro tip: log all your meals ahead of time and then stick to it!

--- merged: Apr 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM ---
    23 is an ounce, 164 calories, 6g carb, 14g fat, 6g protein, 3g fiber. There is some evidence to suggest that not all of the fat in almonds is digested, either. I find them particularly good for satiating hunger, likely due to the relatively balanced macro profile.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1