1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Death of the RPG

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by streak_56, Sep 7, 2011.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I find it ultimately disappointing that in my mind, there haven't been a solid RPG out there. One that has a huge intricate storyline, decent character development and allows me to participate emotionally. Before I go any further, it is my personal decision to never play any MMORPGs, I think people hide behind their keyboards a little too much for those but I digress.

For example, Final Fantasy 10, if it wasn't for FFX-2, 10 would've been by far my favourite game ever. The storyline was complex, it made me emotionally invested for hours on end. I bet I logged over 1000, thats right one thousand, hours into that game, just playing along, not just getting achievements but just trying different things, maxing my characters out. Sin was a phenomenal villian, Tidus and Yuna were John to Yoko, Wakka, Rikku, Kimahri, Lulu and Auron was the best supporting cast to the main characters ever. I cannot blow smoke up this games ass any more....

But I see a lack of true RPGs out there. It could be a first person shooter RPG like Fall Out 3, which I feel is trying to draw players from the first person shooter genre into their world. Or Oblivion which is an go out there and do whatever you want, until you want to join back with the story, game..... I'm aware that these are both Bethesda games and I'm aware Skyrium (sp?) is out Nov.11.... I probably have close to 50 or so games.... varying genres but mostly RPGs. To name some of favourites, I loves Valkryia Chronicles, I fell in love with the name Isara, Xenosaga (1,2 and 3) for some odd reason, I loved the Haseo series, based on the Japanese anime tv show, I love Demon Souls based on the fact that it challenged me to think outside the build a tank and kill everyone box.... and Final Fantasy 7, 10. I have both a PS2 and 3. Maybe its a lack of interest as well on RPGers on my part, seems like I'm a classic RPG fan.

I don't know, maybe this is just a plain old rant where I'm pissy because I cannot find anymore games I'm interested in and am pissed at game developers for ruining my gaming life. #end rant#

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I have only played about 10% to 20% of one Final Fantasy game, which was Final Fantasy VII. It was my brother's game and system, and I was only visiting, so I couldn't get much further into it. (I'm normally a PC gamer.) However, I was blown away by the setting, scope, mechanics, story, and immersion. I can't recall having such a memorable experience where a game pulled me in like that. It was like getting lost while watching an engrossing movie.

I've played lots of the old PC RPGs. We're talking games like the early Ultimas, Phantasie II, the original Pool of Radiance, Betrayal at Krondor, games like that.

So when you look at the "golden age" of RPGs, which I think ended with games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, and probably some of the later Final Fantasy games on consoles, you get these really great games. But then what happens is that we enter this current age of gaming, which has much to do with production values. Gaming has become like the film industry, and technology has taken much of the expectations.

Without going on my own rant, what happened to adventure games is possibly now happening to RPGs. The market has shifted more towards action, 3D, etc. The one reason I was addicted to WoW and other MMORPG wasn't for the MMO part, so much as the RPG part. I'd spend 99% of my time playing those games for the solo questing. I liked the expansive worlds and open-endedness. But in seeing this thread, I guess I do miss the solid storylines and getting immersed in the world that way. It sure beats getting ganked by a 14-year-old hopped up on sugar, caffeine, and taurine.

Dragon Age: Origins is the best RPG I've played in a while. It hits all the right notes. But there's something about it that's missing. I think it's the "quick travelling" aspects of the game. Remember when most RPGs actually made you go on adventures that required travelling?

I don't know what else to say about this. I know there are lots of recent RPGs I haven't played, and now that I have a PS3, more options are open to me. I should maybe look into seeing what's out there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. streak_56

I played Dragon Age: Origins... I think it was solid game but as you said, it was lacking a certain something.... I think the second one sucked but only because it was so much different than the first....

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Want a good RPG? You gotta go indie, brother. Forget HD graphics and cutscene movies, think old school choose-your-own-adventure book.

Spiderweb Software

Jeff Vogel is a master craftsman in the genre.

That and I'm featured in one of his games. ;)

5. streak_56

Which game do you recommend? There are many to choose from and I'm terrible at making quick decisions....

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hell, start with Avernum. It's the oldest of his newer generation (isometric) RPGs.

7. Hyena

Hyena Vertical

Some of the more recent games like Mass Effect and Witcher have some pretty good rpg elements in them, and Kotor was good too

8. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

I would concur with Dragon Age being a great modern RPG, though I didn't bother to check out the sequel or the xpac, but the wife and I both had a great time playing the first one together. We played I think four games. One mine, one hers and two together. Was a surprisingly good time. She took care of dialogue and dress up, I took care of killing things and leveling. Yay for marrying a dork.

I've also heard nothing but good things about the Mass Effect series, so you might check those out.

9. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

yea, i don't think anything has toppped the baldur's gate and icewind dale games when it comes to rpg, including dragon age unfortunately. i never got through any of them or the neverwinter nights games completely but sure enjoyed trying. star wars: knights of the old republic should be mentioned in here. there's a new star wars game "the old republic" coming out soon... that could be promising, but it might break your mmorpg rule.

10. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Never played an RPG in my life.

First-person shooters and third-person fighting games (Tekken/Street Fighter) were what I'd always play.

But, my fiancée is a complete RPG junkie. And converted me, even if it's a compromise.

We bought Borderlands together a couple months ago and play it as a 2-man team for a couple hours per week. I really like the story, creativity, design, thoroughness and weapon/modifications range of the game. Being a first-timer, the amount of options and possible routes blew me away. What I love most about Borderlands is something called a "DLC" (whatever it stands for, but I think it's essentially the same as an expansion pack). Tiny robots starting a "robolution" against their human masters and turning into a freedom fighter army with master samurai (wielding boxing gloves) in their command.

Lovin' it.

11. blahblah454

blahblah454 New Member

I agree Streak. I love me some old fashion RPG's. However, nothing new has really done it for me. And I thought you were only into Halo with your gay neighbour.

12. streak_56

I hate Halo, which by extension, means I have a hate on for most Xbox games.... yes, my neighbour is extremely lame with his boyfriend....