1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Deer overpopulation

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Street Pattern, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Southern Michigan has ten times as many deer as it did in 1970 (when there were already plenty), and the population is still exploding.

In most of the U.S., deer no longer have any natural predators.

Deer, like rats, adapt well to human environments. They flourish in suburban settings where hunting is impossible.

The deer are wiping out native plants and crowding out other animal species. Endangered and threatened species are disappearing from wide areas because of deer.

There are about 1200 reported car/deer accidents per year in this county alone. That's about three a day. The average reported accident causes $2100 in damage.

Deer spread Lyme disease and chronic wasting disease.

However, deer are so immensely popular that any efforts to control them are doomed.

For example, on Long Island, NY, where Lyme disease is an extremely serious public health problem, the popularity of deer has halted efforts to control them.

It's a triumph of unreason.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Sounds like I need to go to southern Michigan and go hunting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

We have a huge overpopulation of deer in southwestern Ohio. There are a lot of hunters. Many of my husband's co-workers have freezers full of deer meat. The hunting season is pretty long.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

How carefully we plan the building of our cities but not the mitigation of its impact.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

That is a big part of why I have no ethical dilemma over deer hunting in IL. We have similar overpopulation problems in many areas. There are often extra efforts by the DNR made to harvest deer due to disease (Chronic Waste, Bluetongue disease, etc.), either to help check the plague, or to give them samples to further study it. The overpopulation can also lead to starvation, destruction of other habitat, property damage, and human injury/death in auto accidents as mentioned in the OP. I am absolutely for being ethical in the way I hunt (I've discussed that at length in other posts), I support and follow the DNR's guidelines for legal/ethical harvesting of deer, and I try to make full use of any animal that I take. My primary motivation to hunt is because I enjoy the venison, but I consciously consider the other positive impacts. I understand and respect that some people aren't in favor of hunting (though if they eat farm raised meat I question their reasoning :p ), but I think it definitely has its place in trying to conserve and protect the environment considering the current mess of things (mainly man removing most/all natural predators in the majority of areas).

• Like Like x 5
  6. Baraka_Guru

I think McDonald's should switch to venison burgers. Problem solved.

McBambi.

LOL! Oh, me.... I'm so funny!

• Like Like x 5
  7. Street Pattern

I think the deer hunting season should be year-round, with no limits.

People start screaming at me when I say this.

But we should be taking out at least as many deer as are born every year.

8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Or Central Maryland. We have the same problem.

I don't know how active the project is anymore, but a number of years ago the folks at the National Institute of Standards and Technology were experimenting with a herd of deer on their huge, fenced-in property by treating them with hormones for birth control purposes, which I find fascinating if challenging for wild populations:

9. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

No,

I'm fine with hunting; but I'd like to be able to use public lands without being shot at. Having designated hunting seasons seems a reasonable compromise to sharing public lands.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

This is a big concern for friends of mine that go mountain biking on public land not designated as either state or national park territory—and they're riding on sanctioned trails, albeit ones that go through some prime hunting land in season. I don't know that any have ever been in danger, but it's not something I'd ever want to be cavalier about.

11. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

As a rule, I wear bright colors if I go hiking during hunting season.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

"Hey, more hunting" seems like an ineffective solution to a widespread problem. I don't think that it alone will have much of an impact.

Civil planning and environmental regulations should be seriously revisited—for example, discouraging suburban sprawl and banning clear-cutting.

I also wonder if it's feasible to introduce coyote populations into the problem areas. People seem to be so anti-predator near residential areas, but then they moan about the damage and other problems caused by too many deer. There should be some kind of balance possible. Sheesh. There are coyotes in Toronto.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I agree fully, even though I care for animals.
    I guess I think of it from a "Temple Grandin" point of view. While it may be necessary to kill them, you can do it safely, organized and without them suffering or being frightened.

The forests of Yale used to get overpopulated with deer periodically.
    They'd designate a time and area, keep most of the populous out, then allow skilled hunters to go in and start clearing out designated deer.
    They'd go in pairs, an ID person who'd note if a deer was "designated", (older, injured, etc...) and a shooter. (who was skilled enough to minimize pain before death)

I was a shooter, doing bow-hunting. Something I had a knack at. (for some reason I'm better at bows than rifles, go figure)
    I have never hunted otherwise nor do I go out of my way for it.

For safety sake, it needs to be a controlled situation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Borla

You guys probably know as well as anyone from my posting how freaking spoiled my pets are. I equally appreciate wildlife, and sometimes will go into the woods just to watch or take pics of deer, birds, squirrels, or even the occasional coyote (they usually notice me first and take a hike, lol). I don't think hunting animals in an ethical way and appreciating and loving animals and nature have to be mutually exclusive.

I'd argue the opposite. Most hunters I know actually take an active interest in the environment and trying to help manage wildlife in a responsible way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Street Pattern

Half of the people who scream at me when I suggest this say that deer would be quickly hunted to extinction. Hunting seasons and bag limits are designed to prevent this.

But yeah, hunting is a declining activity. And a lot of areas are not safe for uncontrolled hunting.

*bitter laugh* I thought you knew a lot about U.S. politics.

We have coyotes here in Michigan. They have not been an effective check on the deer population, probably because they're not big enough.
    --- merged: Feb 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM ---
    Temple Grandin is one of my heroes.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Borla

Coyotes are very rarely able to take down full grown deer. It would take wolves to have a real impact.

17. Baraka_Guru

Hey, I used to subscribe to Adbusters magazine.
    --- merged: Feb 26, 2014 at 7:16 PM ---
    Coyotes tend to take out small, young deer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

We need more Coywolves.

And yes, unchecked Suburban sprawl is a problem on many levels.

19. omega

omega Very Tilted

Cities are planned? Roads and sewers are, but deer dont read road signs. They see water, smell food, and hate cars.
    I used to have ti drive down clopper road in Seneca creek state park every day in the morning. There were deer along there every day. Just waiting to ambush your car. And yeah, driving by NIST and seeing all those deer behind those nice tall fences... those deer had it easy.

20. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I'm going to say that entire county is a deer minefield.