1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Delicious Vegetarian Cooking

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

^ That looks fantastic. Now I'm dying for some curry! Though I have coconut oil that I'd use instead of canola.

• Like Like x 2
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It was amazing. I want to pick up more yellow curry paste (we were out) and try a different veggie combo next time.

3. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

chickpeas would also go well in this. We tend to use penang, massaman or korma paste because of the pesky children (and usually chicken - we are so not vegetarian!). We eat this pretty regularly - my youngest son always starts with "I don't like currrrryyyy", then proceeds to polish off a couple of bowls full :)

My wife and the boys went away for a week in January and I loaded chillies into everything - it was so good.
    --- merged: Mar 1, 2012 3:35 AM ---
    this just sounds like an oxymoron!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
  4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

What did you just call me? ;)

5. snowy

If I'd had chickpeas cooked up, I would have thrown them in. Tofu would also work well as a protein here. With the minimal amount of coconut milk, it kind of ended up being like a curry risotto. Really delicious.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  6. snowy

A soup I made today:

2 tbsp. olive oil
    1 large leek, cut into quarters and chopped
    2 carrots, large dice
    2 cups or so mushrooms, sliced
    1 cup hulled (NOT pearled) barley
    1 cup lentils, rinsed and sorted (I used unhulled red lentils, any lentil will work, depending on what kind of texture you desire
    2 tbsp. soy sauce (or more to taste)
    black pepper
    water (how much will depend on how thick or thin you want the soup)

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the leek to the hot oil; cook until softened. Add the carrots, cook a minute or two, stirring, before adding the mushrooms. Cook the mixture until the mushrooms begin to give up their liquid. Add the barley and lentils. Stir. Add enough water to cover everything and turn up the heat to medium-high; be aware that the barley and lentils will soak up a good portion of the water. Add the soy sauce and black pepper. When the soup reaches the boil, turn down the heat to low. Let the soup simmer for approximately half an hour, until the barley and lentils are cooked through; check the water level every so often to ensure the soup is the thickness or thinness you desire. Adjust seasoning; serve.

My soup turned out relatively thick, as that is how I wanted it, and the lentil you choose to use will have an impact on how the final product turns out, as some lentils stay together well and some fall apart.

7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Kale chips!

I keep seeing these in health food stores, but they're always so overpriced. Here is a quick and easy recipe for a snack made from a green superfood:

Crunchy kale chips recipe (i.e. how to eat a bucket of kale per day) | The Food Blog

These are so delicious. I want to make them again already! I made my first batch using seasoning salt, mainly because I was lazy. But next time I want less salt (and MSG!) and more spice. I will try using paprika/cayenne. I'll want to try using curry powder as well, and maybe basil/oregano.

So many options!

• Like Like x 3
  8. snowy

This is funny--I have a bunch of kale sitting out on my counter waiting to be made into kale chips. I found it while cleaning out my fridge earlier today; it's a little wilty so I figured chips would be a good option. I came up here to take a rest break and now I see I wasn't the only one with this idea today :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

This sounds pretty good, will have to give this a try. Sometimes you tired of the same old things.

10. snowy

From Vegetarian Times this month:

This was so good. I am going to use this marmalade sauce in future more general stir-fries. I wish I had more to eat. I imagine it would go well with green beans, peas, carrots, onions--whatever you fancy putting in a stir-fry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

Snowy's Lazy Man's Mock Risotto:

olive oil (enough to coat the pan well)
    1 sweet onion, chopped
    1 cup mushrooms, sliced
    3 cloves garlic, minced (or more, to taste)
    1 tsp fresh thyme
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 cup or so orzo
    1/4 cup white wine (I used an Italian white: Ippolito Res Dei Ciro Bianco)
    Broth or water, enough to cover the vegetables and pasta well
    salt and pepper to taste
    Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese, about a tablespoon
    juice of half a lemon to finish

Saute the onion and mushroom together over medium-high heat until the onion is soft and the mushroom has given up its liquid and is starting to dry up. Turn down the heat to medium-low and add the garlic. Add the thyme and stir. Mix in the soy sauce. Scoot the vegetables over to one side; if there isn't enough oil in the pan where you've cleared, add a bit more. Add the orzo to the spot cleared in the pan. Stir the orzo until it is slightly toasted and well coated with oil. Add 1/4 cup of white wine and incorporate well; the orzo will begin to give off its starch. Once the wine is absorbed, add enough water to cover the orzo well. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. After the orzo is cooked to al dente, turn off the heat, add the salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Stir, and adjust the seasoning.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I'm going to try this, sounds marvelous.

I bought Kale today to try out the crispy leaf recipe also.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

Yukon Gold & Baby Spinach Masala
    [​IMG]
    Serves 4 30min or fewer

2 Tbs. canola oil
    1lb potatoes, cut in cubes (4 cups)
    1 onion, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbs. ginger, minced
    1 tsp. ground coriander
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. turmeric
    1 can coconut milk
    1 bag spinach
    1 1/2 tsp. gram masala
    1 Tbs. lime juce
    1/4 chopped cilantro

1. Steam potatoes in steamer basket set over simmering water 10 minutes, or until just tender.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 8 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add garlic, ginger, and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant. stir in coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Add steamed potatoes, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, to coat with spices. Add coconut milk and 1/4 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bring to a simmer. Seduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.

3. Stir in spinach, gram masala, and 1/4 cup water, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

Inside Out Chinese Spring Roll Salad
    [​IMG]

Salad
    • 2 oz Bean Thread
    • 3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
    • 1 cup torn watercress
    • 1 carrot, cut into matchstick thin strips
    • 1/2 cucumber, cut into matchstick thin strips
    • 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick thin strips
    • 1 green onion
    • 1 cup baby corn
    • 2 Tbsp snipped cilantro
    • 2 Tbsp snipped Mint
    Dressing
    • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
    • 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
    • 2 Tbsp lime juice
    • 1 tsp soy sauce
    • 1 tsp minced ginger root
    • 1 large clove garlic, crushed
    • 1/2 tsp lime zest
    • garnish - black sesame seeds
    1. Soak the bean threads in warm water to cover for 10 minutes or till pliable. Drain, then cook in boiling water till the noddles expand and appear glass-like, 1-2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Cut into 4-inch lengths. Place in a large bowl along with the rest of the salad ingredients. In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the dressing till well combined; toss with the salad to evenly coat. Garnish with sesame seeds.--- merged: Jul 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM ---
    Vegetarian Taco Salad
    [​IMG]
    6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
    40 minutes

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 1/2 corn kernels
    • 4 large tomatoes
    • 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
    • can black, kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 chopped fresh cilantro
    • 1/3 cup prepared salsa
    • 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
    • 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
    • 2 1/2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
    • lime wedges for garnish
    1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato coos down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
    2. Coarsely chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in medium bowl.
    3. Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and 2/3 cups cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese, passing lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa at the table.
    --- merged: Jul 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM ---
    Tortilla Lasagna
    [​IMG]

• 6 tortillas
    • 1 Tbs. olive oil
    • 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
    • 2 Tbs. chili powder
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 cups stained tomatoes
    • 1 can black beans
    • 2 medium zucchini diced
    • 1/2 cups corn kernels
    • 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
    1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Toast tortillas on 2 baking sheets in oven 5 minutes, or until light brown, turning once.
    2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in chili powder, and garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups strained tomatoes, beans, zucchini, corn, and 1/2 cups water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
    3. Coat 2-inch-deep x 8-inch round baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/4 cup strained tomatoes in bottom of pan. Set 1 toasted tortilla in pan;top with 3/4 cup bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layering 4 more times. Top with last tortilla, and spread remaining 1/4 cup strained tomatoes over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and cheese has melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

Warm Orzo Pesto Salad

For the pesto:
    1 cup arugula
    1/4 cup fresh basil
    2 tbsp cilantro
    1/4 cup almonds
    several cloves of garlic (to taste)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
    salt and pepper

Process ingredients together in a food processor until they make a smooth paste.

1/2 package orzo
    1-2 small zucchini or summer squash, diced
    1 large heirloom tomato, diced

Cook 1/2 package orzo according to directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water. In a glass bowl, combine orzo and 4-5 tbsp. of the pesto, adding more to taste. Add pasta water to the orzo/pesto as needed to loosen the sauce. Add the diced zucchini and tomato and mix well. Let the salad sit until room temperature, letting the flavors meld. Adjust the seasoning.

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

Mashed Cauliflower with Pesto

(see above recipe for pesto)

1 head cauliflower, chopped
    1-2 tbsp. pesto
    2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
    1-2 cloves garlic
    salt and pepper to taste

Steam the cauliflower until fork tender. Combine steamed cauliflower, pesto, nutritional yeast, and garlic in the workbowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is evenly distributed and mixture is smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Season to taste.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I was served the most amazing mashed cauliflower at a friend's place this weekend. I have made it myself, but never that good. Damn... I wanted to bathe in it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cwtch38

Cwtch38 Bat Shit Crazy

I am not a vegetarian but my kids have an obsession with making lasagne from everything from hamburgers to fishfingers, (yeah I know, it's gross , but they are teenagers and well they are just gross)

But I am def going to try this one on them :D

19. snowy

I love, love, love mashed cauliflower. Soooo goood. And Mexican lasagna. I haven't made that in a long time. We used to have it once every couple months, if not more often.

20. snowy

Here's a cold Asian noodle salad, roughly based on one Magpie linked the recipe to.

1/2 pack brown rice pad thai noodles, softened and cut into smaller pieces
    1 zucchini, cut into matchsticks
    1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
    1 jalapeno pepper, diced
    1/4 c (loosely) fresh basil, in a chiffonade
    3-4 cloves garlic, minced
    3-4 baby bok choy, roughly chopped
    1-2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp sesame seeds
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tsp rice wine vinegar

Toss together all ingredients in a large bowl. The slight heat of the noodles will wilt the bok choy a bit. Serve room temperature or chill to your preference.

A picture:

cold asian noodle salad.jpg

• Like Like x 1