1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Delicious Vegetarian Cooking

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by genuinemommy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

OK, here's Snowy's Thai Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Bisque
    (props to GeneticShift for the inspiration)

1/2 onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. ginger, grated
    1 tbsp. red curry paste
    1 large sweet potato, large dice
    1 can pumpkin puree
    1 can crushed tomatoes in puree
    2 cups vegetable stock
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp. sour cream

Saute the onion over medium heat in a large soup pot until softened. Reduce the heat and add the minced garlic. Stir, adding in the ginger and curry paste. Cook until fragrant. Add the sweet potato, pumpkin, and tomatoes. Cook until just bubbling; add the stock. Bring to a bubble and reduce to a simmer; cook until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Turn off the heat; once the soup is safe to handle, pour it into a food processor. Puree until smooth. Return to the soup pot and adjust the seasoning. Stir in the sour cream. Serve.

2. snowy

Mushroom Wellington
    adapted from: Vegan Christmas Recipe- Truffled Mushroom and Chestnut WellingtonMildred's Vegetarian Recipes

2 sheets puff pastry
    4-5 large portobello mushrooms, destemmed and cut into eighths
    1 tbsp. fresh sage, minced
    1 tbsp. thyme, minced
    1 tbsp. savory, minced
    1 shallot, minced
    5 cloves of garlic, minced
    3/4 cup of walnuts, finely chopped
    1/4 cup medium-dry sherry (I used Amontillado)
    1 cup panko bread crumbs
    1 wedge Brie cheese, cut into cubes
    1 egg white
    salt
    pepper

Thaw the frozen puff pastry in the refrigerator overnight. Heat the oven to 350. In a roasting pan, toss the portobellos with a drizzle of olive oil and half of the sage, thyme, and savory. Roast the mushrooms in the oven until they are just soft and starting to give up their liquid, about 20 minutes; add the chopped walnuts to the roasting mushrooms five minutes before time is up. In a saute pan over medium heat, add 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil; when the oil is fragrant, add the minced shallot and cook, until lightly carmelized. Add the remaining herbs and the minced garlic; stir. Deglaze the pan with the 1/4 cup of sherry, scraping the bottom of the pan to get u any browned bits of shallot. As soon as the sherry is evaporated, remove the pan from the heat. Mix in the roasted mushroom and walnut mixture, along with the bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary. If mixture looks too wet, add more bread crumbs. Let this mixture cool until room temperature. Take the puff pastry from the refrigerator and lay it out on a lightly floured countertop; roll it until it is a thinner rectangle. Arrange the mixture in the center of this sheet of puff pastry; dot the mixture with the cubes of Brie. If the one sheet of puff pastry is not large enough to wrap around the mixture, take the second sheet of pastry and roll it out like the first; wrap as much of the first sheet of puff pastry around the mixture, then place it open-side down on the second sheet, wrapping the second around it as much as possible. Seal the bottom with the egg white, brushing it over the pastry with a pastry brush. Once neatly wrapped, flip it over so the smooth side is on top, and decorate the top with cutouts of puff pastry. Brush with more egg white.

Bake the Wellington at 350 for 15 minutes before turning up the oven to 425; bake until golden brown. Let cool for five minutes prior to serving.
    Mushroom wellington.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

• Like Like x 2
  4. snowy

• Like Like x 2
  5. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I have some buttermilk in the fridge!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Not quite sure where to put this, so I'll try here.
    Feel free to move it if you think it doesn't belong.

This morning Sig decided to make some oatmeal. Enough to last for a few days,;) since we both like oatmeal.
    He misread the directions, and started out with two cups of Red Mill's steel cut oats and two cups of water.
    You can guess where it went from there. Anyhow, we now have what is probably about a gallon and a half of good oatmeal. We should both be very regular for quite a while.

So, what I'm looking for is recipes using already cooked oatmeal for non-breakfasty meals.
    Could be vegetarian, or not. I already tried adding some into a cauliflower dal curry with OK results, but talk about high fiber...:rolleyes:

7. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Bump... Help!

8. snowy

Why not just freeze it in individual portions? Use a muffin tin, freeze them, then dip the bottom of the tins in hot water to make the oatmeal easy to release. Store the frozen hunks of oatmeal in a Ziploc.

9. snowy

So I started here, and ended up somewhere a bit different:Tex-Mex Mac & Cheese: King Arthur Flour

I offer you my take on Tex-Mex Macaroni and Cheese. While the original recipe appealed, I wanted to cut down on the number of dirty dishes. I say season to taste because the saltiness of cheese can vary.

1 package whole wheat macaroni
    2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    1 sweet onion, diced
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cups milk
    3/4-1 cup parmesan cheese
    1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste
    cayenne to taste
    2 cups corn
    1 can Muir Glen Fire Roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
    panko breadcrumbs

Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Grease a 9x11 casserole dish. While the macaroni is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions; cook until soft and translucent. Add the flour and stir well; the onions should be coated with flour. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes. Add the milk. Stir well and turn up the heat slightly; bring the sauce to a simmer. Turn the heat to low. Add the parmesan cheese. Stir well before adding the cheddar cheese. Continue to stir the sauce until smooth. Season to taste.

Combine the corn and the canned tomatoes in a microwave-safe dish and microwave until heated through. Add the tomatoes and corn to the sauce mixture; stir. Add the sauce to the macaroni. Stir well and ensure the pasta is coated well. Distribute evenly in the casserole dish; top with a mixture of parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 until golden brown; approximately 20-30 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

That sounds great, snowy. I'm going to have to try it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CrazyBeing Vertical

• Like Like x 1
  12. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I just finished some spicy chickpeas I picked up at the farm market.
    Ate em with some simple rice my wife had made earlier in the week.
    So good. So simple. This makes vegetarianism look sane.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

What about vegetarianism looks insane? Many meals are simple and straightforward. No need for meat substitutes or tofu to go meatless, although I really do like tofu, even as a om-nom-nom-nivore.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I think I'm going to try this one tomorrow. Since I finally bought a battery charger, I'll try to remember to post some pics of the results.

[​IMG]

Recipe under the spoiler tag, 'cause it's a huge chunk of text. Got it from Thug Kitchen.

BUFFALO FALAFEL

FALAFEL:
    1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1- 15 ounce can, rinsed
    1/3 pound of cauliflower
    ¼ cup diced onion (yellow, white, red, whatever)
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    ½ teaspoon all-purpose seasoning blend (The no-salt blends are best because you can add that salt shit later in small amounts)
    2 tablespoons breadcrumbs

BUFFALO SAUCE:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons flour (Whole-wheat flour works here so does brown rice flour. Use whatever)
    1 cup cayenne based hot sauce
    ¼ cup water
    1 tablespoon vinegar (Apple cider vinegar is my favorite here but white vinegar would work too. Use what you got)

For the falafel: Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray some oil on a baking sheet. Chopped the cauliflower up into small pieces. Throw it in a food processor and run that shit until the pieces of cauliflower kind of look like rice. If you don’t have a food processor then just chop that shit up as small as you can. Mash the fuck out of the chickpeas in a medium bowl until they form a paste. Chop the garlic up into small pieces. Add the cauliflower, onion, garlic, oil, seasoning blend, and breadcrumbs to the chickpeas and mix that shit up. If your seasoning blend didn’t have salt in it, now you can add a pinch of salt to that motherfucker. The mixture should easily form into balls. If it is too fucking dry, add a little water. No stress. Form the mixture into balls a little bigger than a ping pong ball. Throw the balls on the baking sheet and bake them for 20-25 minutes, flipping them sons of bitches half way through. Remember to set a timer so that you don’t burn the shit out of them. Both sides should be nice and golden. While the falafel bake, make the buffalo sauce.

For the buffalo sauce: In a small saucepan, heat the oil over a medium-low heat. Add the flour and stir constantly until the flour starts to look golden and smell kinda toasted. A few bubbles are cool but this shouldn’t look like it’s boiling. This shit takes about 4 minutes if you got your heat right. Add half the hot sauce and stir until it is all mixed. The flour should make that shit thicken up a bit. Add the rest of the hot sauce, water, and vinegar and stir until it is all mixed up. Turn off the heat.

When the falafel are done cooking, push them gently to the center of the baking sheet and put ¾ of the buffalo sauce on them. Bake that shit for like 5 extra minutes so that the falafel absorbs that sauce. Pour the extra sauce over them when they get out of the oven or whenever you eat them.

You can serve these spicy bastards in pita bread, on top of a salad, or howeverthefuck you want. I recommend some celery sticks to cool your ass down. Or fuck it. Go hard. Breathe fire. Frighten the villagers.

Makes about 12 falafel

• Like Like x 2
  15. Oooooh. I love wing sauce, but not wings. I'm always looking for something to make that has delicious hotness to it. I mostly just dip french fries in wing sauce, but that's no fun.

If I cooked, I'd totally make this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

Resurrecting this thread.

Super Easy Mushroom Brown Rice Risotto

1 large onion, diced
    1.5 cups mushrooms, chopped
    2 cups of brown rice
    4 cups vegetable broth
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese

Over medium-high heat in an enameled cast iron Dutch oven or similar heavy bottomed pan with lid, saute the onions in a couple tablespoons of oil. Once they are soft and slightly golden, add the mushrooms. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are giving up their moisture. Push the vegetables to one side of the pot and add a little more oil to the bottom of the pot; add the rice to the space cleared. Stir to coat the rice with the oil, then combine with the vegetables. Season. When the rice begins to smell toasty, add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer; cover. Cook for about an hour until rice is cooked through but toothsome, stirring occasionally. Add the soy sauce and nutritional yeast. Adjust seasoning; serve.

• Like Like x 1
  17. genuinemommy

I love nutritional yeast, but I would have never thought of it as an alternative for Parmesean. Making brown rice in a dutch oven? Sounds easy the way you present it, but I have never had much luck cooking rice in anything other than a rice-cooker.

18. snowy

I use nutritional yeast as a substitute for parm all the time. Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Bestest Pesto (Bestest Pesto | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking) is one great example of how.

As for the brown rice, there are three things going on here that ensure the brown rice will cook on the stovetop without problems: a heavy-bottomed pot with a good lid, stirring now and again, and sufficient liquid.

• Like Like x 1
  19. genuinemommy

Thanks! My stove-top rice usually ends up soggy or porridge-like when I'm aiming for sticky. Getting the precise measurement of liquid is so important.