1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

DELL Laptops (battery question)

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DAKA, Aug 9, 2011.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

My DELL Lattitude D620 got "bathed" iunfortunately it was on the breakfast counter and I was working on replacing the sink in an upstairs bathroom...(right over the counter) long story short, it got doused and quit...fortunately I paid for it with AMEX and it was in their extended warranty period, no questions they refunded my $$. I bought another one from DELL FINANCIAL (DFS)
    and this one is a D630. They look to be the same, but the new one does not have a "wrist rest" across the front. When I take the battery off the 620 the rest comes off with it, there is no rest on the 630, but the batteries seem the same (the old battery is 85 watts and the new one is 58 however)
    The batteries seem to be attached to the piece that comes off (am I explaining this understandibly?)
    Question is...can I remove the battery from the "holder", how?

2. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Basic rule is DON'T take batteries apart. That said then from the pictures I have seen it looks like the "wrist rest" is clipped on the battery and might be moved over but I would be very careful if attempting that because any crack in the battery case can be harmful to you or your computer.
    yours
    Zweiblumen

3. DAKA

If I can figure out how to post pix I'll take some of each, the batteries look to be the same size, but are "attached" to the bottom plate

4. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

On some sites that sell after market batteries the same batteries are listed for D620 and D630 but I don't thrust those sites.

5. DAKA

I did see that but the wrist rest is not shown on both...hopefully someone with DELL knowledge will reply

6. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

That is not a wrist rest, it's an extended life battery. The Latitude D6xx series used bottom-front-mounted batteries and the protrusion is 3 additional battery cells. I advise against using it in a load-bearing manner.

7. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

I agree, especially since batteries tend to be heat generating as well.

8. DAKA

Ah ha...
    That makes sence...BUT, can I use the "bigger" battery on the D630 by just installing it? Would be nice to have to 85 watt one and carry the 58 as a spare...finally getting down to basics about this....
    Thanks...I know "someone" out there has the answers...
    This is a great "group"
    Daniel

9. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

As long as the battery wasn't ruined by the water it should be no problem to switch :)

10. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

I wouldn't mess around with a laptop battery because you could get electrocuted or it would send a spark through the laptop causing it not to work. I recommend purchasing a dell replacement battery through a variety of different websites, but the one I recommend and use is: www.parts-people.com

11. DAKA

OK, I bit the bullet and put the 85 watt battery on the D630..it works fine and has much longer "unplugged" power.
    End of story.............
    Anyone want to buy a perfect D6320 that doesn't work but has a like new screen, case and keyboard? cheap...

12. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

From my experience as a PC repair tech, any laptop that has a good screen is worth quite a bit on ebay. One of the most common repairs I do on laptops are broken screens and they cost in the neighborhood of $150 for new ones depending on the size.

List it on ebay as parts only and you should get some good cash for it.

• Like Like x 1