1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Dexter (Use spoiler tags for anything that hasn't aired yet)

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by fill23ca, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

It's been on Showtime for almost 7 years. I really, really like the two leads, writing has been of erratic quality since season 4.

Showtime's shows that I watch are Shameless, Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Jackie & Californication.
    These are the only shows that I have access to than most of the general public.
    I like them all, though I did miss the first couple seasons of Californication (stars X-Files' Mulder a/k/a David Duchovny). Also, I have no idea how 'Episodes' keeps getting renewed. It's dreadful.
    --- merged: Sep 13, 2012 7:17 AM ---
    Also, though I am of the TV generation I only stumbled into 'having' to watch television shows when I started watching the Sopranos (HBO). For a long period prior to that I watched little TV. Going into this fall is going to test my mettle-- something like ugh, 8 shows a week for about 5 weeks then only 7 when Doctor Who goes on hiatus--that is way too much, IMO. I'm too antsy, that why I wish AMC or FX would play nice. Also why I love HBO Go (watch it anywhere--in the US).
    --- merged: Sep 13, 2012 7:24 AM ---
    I think I watch (not necessarily write about) more Showtime shows than I do HBO.
    HBO: Game of Thrones, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire & Veep.
    May as well list the rest:
    FX: Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story
    AMC: The Walking Dead
    BBCA: Doctor Who

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

It's a Killer show! ;)

Seen all the seasons...haven't caught up with this Season yet...too much going on.
    I'll make it a point...now that things have calmed down.

3. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Is the first scene in the church we saw in the sneak peek the same as we saw or did they add a voiceover?

4. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

The scene was carefully cut so entire series of sentences are missing in the promo. Voiceover may have been altered.

5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Typical shit I expect from Dexter's producers. Not sure if I'm going to bother with this season at all.

edit: No, I'm going to watch it anyway in spite of how terrible the show has gotten.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  6. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I'm not sure the producers make the promos. I thought Showtime marketed the Showtime original programming of which Dexter is it's biggest success, I'd think.

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Just received Season 3, Disc 1 from netflix. New Season, woo hoo!
    I tried to read a brief summary online about season 2 to refresh my memory but will probably just go with the "Previously on Dexter" bit for that purpose which should be said by the voice of Peter Graves or even better Orson Welles just 'cause that would be cool . My own fault for watching some of those episodes after a grave shift. One of these days I will skim through them again properly.

8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I watched the "last season on Dexter" and realised how much I had completely forgotten about or never seen to begin from season 2 past the mid point. Oh well, it did fall under massive spoilers but I am still going to watch that entire season and get all of the glorious little details. His sister Debbie looks good with that new haircut, wears it well.

9. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Although this season may not have been the best, it still kept me hooked and excited for the next one. Oh God indeed. Can't wait!

10. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Yeah, me too! Watched episode 2 of the new season (7) this morning. It was fantastic--better than any episode from last season. Maybe I should start a Dexter thread with spoilers? I can't be blatant, but I can tease. :cool:

11. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I'm changing the rules, use spoiler tags for anything that hasn't aired yet, including stuff from previews.

Turns out the premiere was pretty good. The baggage room kill was comically bad, although there's a vague hope that the writers have wised up and are using it to show Dexter becoming unraveled and careless rather than just being careless themselves.

12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Yeah, I'll agree that the premiere was 'pretty good.' ;)

Having watched the first three episodes, I'd put episode 2 at the best of the three, episode one as 2nd and episode 3, which I just watched as third. I had no complaints about the writing or how things were unfolding until a scene between two of the major character in episode 3. It struck a chord of inauthenticity and was not consistent with what the character said or how the character was behaving in eppy's 1 & 2. I winced. But, I've watched the series since day 1--meaning for 7 years--and I'm not about to drop it because of 'an' episode.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  13. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

What the fuck happened that LaGuerta's plotline is the only one that doesn't make me want to smash the TV by beating my head against it. Also, Dexter's phone ringing to get him out of awkward and uncomfortable conversations is the absolute laziest writing I have ever seen.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

I have to say, I'm enjoying this season more than the last. Probably because I've been watching the whole thing with a massive erection, thanks to Yvonne Stahovski.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Gonna watch tomorrow's episode now as I'm behind...

This has been an average season of Dexter. I feel like they could've done much more with the 'big reveal' than bring on Yvonne Strahovski.
    She needs to fix her hair. It looks like she never combs it and ugh, how is Dexter so bloody attractive to all kinds great-looking women? I mean he's 42 and looks it. Strahovksi's ,what 30? IRL, she'd never give him a second look.

Cell phones are overused on and off screen.

Compared to the vast majority of TV Dexter is not 'badly written'.
    Is anyone even taking note of who is writing the episodes? The writers have changed significantly. Maybe you still don't like the writing but it isn't more of the same, per se.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

If the last two of the season are half as good as the preview makes them look, all is forgiven.

17. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

I just hope someone takes out LaGuerta. I'm tired of selective Cuban accents.

18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Hm. The new eppy is up. I'll see if there are any significant developments.
    Viewership is up 12% from season 6 so someone likes it.

Edit: Big twist!
    Truly, I had no idea what was coming.
    I can say though that I'd be OK with LaGuerta dead (not a spoiler).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I wish Dexter would take out La Guerta, too. I've honestly been pretty bored with this season.

It would be even better if he'd dispense of Carl.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Perhaps you'd like Carl more if he were a hard-core sociopath--like Dexter?