1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest!
The donation button is here.
https://goo.gl/aFggcs

diabetic

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by ralphie250, Jul 27, 2019.

?

are you diabetic

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. im not but know someone who is

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

You were wrong saying he has pre-diabetes.
    You're wrong about the "diagnostics on the pancreas" part. IF he changes his diet and lifestyle, and IF he loses weight he will find out if it can be reversed.
    You're wrong about his risk of DKA. Do you realize how many Type II diabetics are walking around right now with blood sugars in the 200s? I'd bet tens or hundreds of thousands in the US alone. Do you know how many are going to develop DKA? Almost none of them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus Donor

Understood - clearly you're not willing to actually lay out an informative response and instead rather focus on singling out aspects of my comments as a "gotcha", so I'll leave this line of conversation with a last remark that you're wrong about the risks of DKA and you're being reckless in your statements on it.

@ralphie250: I suggest you take the long-term health consequences of where you're at currently very seriously and take the necessary steps to improve your overall condition and maximize your chances at reversing it. There's a lot of research to do on nutrition if your general health is a priority to you now.

EDIT: Also ralphie, you may also consider a personal anecdote of mine. One of my cousins, who is your body type but much younger, was wheeled into an ER a few years ago with a case of DKA while clocking in at 310 blood sugar.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

@Remixer you asked "what exactly is inaccurate?" and "curious what I got wrong..." so you shouldn't get bent when he "singles out aspects of [your] comments" It looked to me like that was exactly what you were asking for.:) Am I wrong?

When I follow a fairly strictly controlled carb intake diet I go into a state of ketosis (not ketoacidosis) and would sometimes be in ketosis for a couple of years with no harm done and then drop out of ketosis with increased carb consumption.
    I credit @fflowley for his knowledge on subjects like this because he's a physician and has years of medical school training plus what he sees in his daily practice and the medical literature.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus Donor

I have a high appreciation for someone to call one of my many idiot statements out and provide a counter-argument with supportive information, but his response was to
    a) take statements out of context, e.g. I never said ralphie is pre-diabetic, but rather made a comment re: Metformin and in hindsight in a clumsy and almost vague way was conveying that a diabetes diagnosis doesn't have to be a permanent condition and that he needs to act immediately if he wants any chance at reversing it; and
    b) make simple statements without bothering to provide any supporting info - with the one re: DKA just plain ridiculous to make. Knowing he made that statement as a physician is moreso disappointing, but I'll just put it down to him being accustomed to being surrounded by people on the standard American diet (which is sheer stupidity) and many being afraid to engage with professionals/get prescriptions because of your broken healthcare system.

I do appreciate the knowledge foundations of MDs and I'm glad he was able to guide you successfully with your keto diet, but one thing to keep in mind is that many MDs are not up-to-date on the most recent research, especially as it pertains to nutritional science, so it's prudential to look more deeply into the individual needs & responsiveness of one's particular body.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Its all ok, i understand everyones perspective. and believe it or not im actually learning alot from this thread.

i will say this... i thought my appt was on tuesday, but i was fucking wrong...... its next week. i went in and they looked at me funny and realized what happened. but on the bright side i did get a journal from them and some paperwork to fill out and some informative literature.

i do appreciate all the PM's

i love each and every one of yall, thank yall for being helpful, informative, and caring

• Like Like x 2
  6. ralphie250

well mine is getting under control, slowly.... my sugar is averaging 115 which is better than it was. still trying different medications. but i haven't been in the last few months with everything going on. but my endocrinologist does keep in touch with me via email about every 2 to 3 weeks. never thought id like a dr to do that, but it makes me feel good like they actually care.

next issue...
    Long story short, my wife told me last night that she has been feeling kinda crappy for the last few weeks. she went to her endocrinologist via video appt, and they discussed a few things. she had a urinalysis done and it showed sugar in her urine.... fast forward she is now in insuline and her normal dosage of metformin, and something else that the name escaped me at the moment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Way to go Ralphie.
    And you and your wife can succeed together.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ralphie250

Yes we can, together we can do anything

• Like Like x 1