1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Didn't expect THAT from the door to door meat salesman!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'm working from home today and have a view of the front door from the table I work on. I see a young guy in his late 20's walk up and ring my bell. I walk over to answer it. I've been sick all weekend, so Stanley (my Bullmastiff) has been cooped up in the house and is bouncing off the walls today, so he's going nuts. I open the door and the guy literally backs a good 7-8' away from my porch when he sees Stanley's head try to wedge itself between me and the doorway to see what's going on. The look on his face was priceless. :p

The guy starts into his spiel anyway, "I'm just finishing up with some of your neighbors doing some food deliveries for a service that's like Allen Bros or Omaha Steaks (yeah right ), and I was just figuring that you eat good steaks too, right?"
    "Yup, I buy a side of beef from a local farmer I know every year, grass fed, good stuff. I pretty much get all my beef from him."
    "Ah, cool, you must get my sister then."
    (Me thinking his sister sells meat too and her hook is that it's locally grown or something.) "No, it's actually a personal friend that I buy direct from."
    "No, I meant my sister is really fat, like a cow. Have a nice day man."

It took me a second to replay it in my head 2-3 times to make sure I heard him right. Mean, but funny. :p

2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

That's....weird.

3. Borla

He meant it totally as a joke, but I obviously didn't get it for a couple seconds.

4. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

At least he has a good sense of humor? It's times like these that a giant dog comes in handy.

5. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

No, I mean in the "I'm not selling anything to you, so I'm throwing my sister under the bus" kind of weird. Odd sales tactic.

6. Borla

Trust me, the owner can be meaner than the dog when required. :D

I give him credit though. It's 90* and humid out, and he was sweating his butt off going door to door. He's at least trying to earn a somewhat honest buck. But I'm a meat snob, so I had to pass.
    --- merged: Aug 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM ---
    He struck me as the type of guy who was just trying to have a good time doing something that wasn't that fun. For all I know he just thought he could make me laugh even though he didn't get the sale and doesn't even have a sister. He was trying hard, and had been coached at least somewhat. He established common ground (claiming to be delivering to my neighbors), tried to get me in agreement right off the bat (you like good steaks too, right?), he was just selling something I wouldn't have bought for next to free.

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Weird. Very weird. I probably would've just stared at him.

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Almost as strange as that time in the middle of nowhere Maine a door to door lobster salesman.

9. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

He was actually selling meat? To me, "door-to-door meat salesman" has an entirely different connotation. :confused:

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Sense of humour aside, sounds like a scam to me.

11. Borla

Haha, yes, real meat.

It's a relatively common thing in this area. We usually get one every 9-12 months or so. They have a huge freezer in the back of a pick-up truck. They explain how great the steaks are, how they are vacuum packed, flash frozen, will last forever, half the price in the store, blah blah blah. I've looked at the steaks a couple of times, they are usually very thin cuts with virtually no marbling. Probably dairy cows that died of old age. So it's technically on the up-and-up in that you pay them and you get what they are selling, but I wouldn't bank on it being anything beyond very low grade meat.

12. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Ha! Great thread.

I'd forgotten about the time my friends and I were approached by a guy selling meat out of his pick-up.
    We were getting gas at a convenience store and he taps on the window, asks if we wanted to buy any beef.
    Everything was vacuum-packed and in coolers with dry ice, but it was still a weird experience and seemed iffy to me.
    My friends bought some, though. What are the cuts with bacon wrapped around the edges? Those.

13. Borla

Typically those are filet mignon. But sometimes places will sell sirloin wrapped in bacon too.

14. the only meat ive ever found on the street is when i hit a deer

15. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

I'm always leery of those door to door meat salesmen. I don't like the idea of something I'm going to eat being kept in the back of a questionable freezer/refrigerator on the back of a truck. Call me crazy, but I just can't buy meat that way.

16. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

Do people really still do that? Door to door food deliveries? When I was growing up, my grandmother would phone in an order to a local store, and they would deliver it, but I didn't think anybody did it nowadays.

17. Borla

There are now places you can order from online, such as Peapod. There are also services such as Schwann's that deliver a limited menu of frozen foods. We even have a local dairy here that delivers milk, ice cream, etc. just like in the good old days.

But this was more a door-to-door salesman than a real delivery service.

18. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

My friend and I talked about this, it's dangerous to do Door-to-Door sales anymore. With serial killers with basement cells, to reglious freaks, to crazy rednecks with guns, you don't know what you are going to get anymore when you knock on a door. I wouldn't do door-to-door cold calls for all the money in the world. Some guy opens the door, invites you in and you never come back out.

Also, Borla is right, those places have shitty meat.

19. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

Believe it or not, as a teenager, I delivered milk door-to-door. We loaded the truck at 3am, drove to our route, and went door to door, leaving the milk on the doorstep, picking up the empty bottles (glass back then) and tokens that paid for the new delivery. Hated every minute of it except that we could drink as much milk/juice as we wanted.

20. Borla

When I was a little kid we got milk that way.

Our next door neighbors have four kids, and they get deliveries from the milk man (Oberweiss dairy, good stuff).