1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Didn't expect THAT from the door to door meat salesman!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Molly (my avatar) is a docile as it gets; but totally hates door to door salesman and particularly the door to door preachers. Unless you are allergic to slobber, she's harmless; but damn she can put on a good show. I haven't seen a Jehovah's Witness in two years. Good girl.

2. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Is that really the case, or is it just nightly-news-enhanced fear? I suspect it is the latter, but on the other hand, I haven't tried to do "door-to-door" since I was in high school band.

3. Molly looks like a bug bundle of hugs. Have you found any signs that they have called - odd shoe dragged half way under a porch? Dog off her regular food for a few days? Strange fingernails embeded in a post and sporting blood on the root end? Keep a bowl of charcoal biscuits handy just in case of upset tummy - I heard the Jehovah stuff is easy to take in but their teachings are harder to digest.

4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

One of the houses I lived in as a little kid had a milk door. It was a little hole in wall beside the back door that had a door on each side, leaving a space between where the delivery guy could leave the bottles of milk. I don't think we used it for anything but a way for me to crawl in and out of the house (it wasn't big enough for anyone older than five to do this).

5. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I mean, it's not happening EVERYDAY, but it could still happen. Hell, I wouldn't want to do it here just because of the crazy redneck aspect of it. I've been met at the door with a loaded shotgun at some of my distant relatives house and I was invited. People are stupid and you are showing up unannounced... that alone makes me not want to do it.

I can agree with you that a lot of that is nightly news fear, but I wouldn't want to be the one guy who runs into the next Jeffrey Dahmer.

6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Well, there's daily milk delivery in Chicago. One of our neighbors gets it around 4 in the morning, and I'll occassionally see the delivery when I'm headed for an early morning flight.

7. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

They no longer do that around here. I didn't think they did it anywhere anymore, figuring it was a relic of my past, like horse-drawn ice wagons going door to door.

8. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Oh, I'll bet if you know where to look, it's there. It's been making a comeback in a lot of places recently, especially spots where there's more afluence.

9. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Milkman!

Yes ... when I was a child, I thought that was the only place milk came from. There used also to be another deliverer who would bring 'Corona' ... bottles of fizzy drinks of various flavours.

I'd have certainly needed to have brought my 'A' or 'B' game to the front door to have made sense of the 'Sister' joke. IMO he does get points for knowing when to walk away sooner rather than later. Though my default position is 'No' to cold calling, whether by phone or front door. I think I can put up with 'May I leave you literature to read at your convenience and put on your files.