1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Do we have any dishwasher experts in the house?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Borla, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It appears that our dishwasher is on the fritz. Dishes come out as dirty as they go in. Everything sounds right, nothing seems to be burnt out, it just doesn't get things clean anymore. It's a 8-9yr old GE, and I'm thinking about just simply replacing it. I don't want to spend $200 on a repairman to come out just to tell me I need to replace it when I can get a pretty decent one for $400-700 (I get employee pricing on about 40% of the brands out there due to my company being a major supplier to the appliance industry).

1) Anything I should check myself before calling it a loss?

2) Anyone purchased a new dishwasher lately in the $400-700 price range that they really love? All I'm looking for is something that works well, is reasonably quiet, and reasonably efficient. Our other appliances are white, so I'll probably go with that.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Get a new dishwasher. Better yet, get a Bosch. It gets things spiffy clean. The only things it won't take off are things that are really dried on--dough, egg yolk, etc.--but everything else comes off, no problem, if you just scrape the dishes. No prerinsing necessary. And it's quiet. Like, you wonder if it's on and washing dishes quiet. This is the one we have: http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/built-in-dishwashers/bar-handle/SHX3AR55UC.html

We replaced an ancient Kenmore with this Bosch. I'm really happy with it. I love, love, love the quick wash cycle when I'm baking and cooking a lot. My parents (our landlords) found it at Lowe's for $100 cheaper than the list price. They have a white-fronted one too. It also reduced our water bill by quite a bit, because 1) we're not prerinsing dishes anymore, and 2) this dishwasher is more efficient in terms of water use than handwashing when it is on autowash. It has a built-in load sensor that judges how dirty the dishes are, and adjusts accordingly.

3. I lived without a dishwasher for almost five years while living in the city. Older apartments don't have room for them.

Anything that would wash my dishes for me would have been nice. Even if it didn't work that well.

4. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

There is a simple procedure that you might want to try if not set on getting a new one right away.
    1. Make sure that all moving parts move freely (the rotary water jets)
    2. Clean the filter(filters) at the bottom of the machine
    3. Run it once empty on the highest settings but with soap as usual
    Over time the internals of the dishwasher may become dirty so it will not hurt to give it a chance to clean itself and the pipes from it.

5. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I'm going to disagree with Snowy. I hated the Bosch lineup of dishwashers. Yes they get things clean, but the plumbing on them is horrible. They are want the lines run in a specific place that can be a bitch if your cabinets are solid and don't allow much room to work with.

We went with the Electrolux and it's been nothing short of stellar. A friend of ours bought an LG that works great as well and they spent about $400 less than we did. Looking back, I probably should have gone for the LG. A few things to consider: Make sure you like the rack layout. You'd be surprised how different the racks can be. Make sure it has a sterilize setting. Make sure it has a hard food disposal. As long as it has those 3 things you really can't go wrong with anything you pick. Most appliances these days aren't made to last more than 5 or 6 years, so I'd say check consumer reports first and then go from there.

Zwei has some good tips there too. You could always try those things before running out to buy a new one.

6. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

No expert here, but just so happens, that I'm currently cleaning my clothes washing machine with citric acid. A friend told me, she had noticed her machine leaving clothes dirty and she had had to use this acid rinsing several times, until all dirt had come out from the pipes.

I read that citric acid can be used to clean dish washer too, or you can try detergent designed for it. You should always check the instructions on your machine first.

Our dishwasher also leaves dishes dirty at times. We've noticed that a rubber part connecting the water pipe on the back of the machine (inside) to the upper tray sprinkler falls off at times. Then the water is not directed to the right places.

7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

8. What Cyn said...

9. Borla

I've done this and it is currently running an empty cycle. Hopefully that works.

If it is the lack of phosphates I am blaming cyn for being the messenger. :mad:

10. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

I hope I don't have to run nor change my username :)

11. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

If it's a detergent issue, try a cup of vinegar with the detergent or alone. Vinegar also works very well to clean the washer itself as well.

I just replaced a base model GE with a used GE Triton XL, the difference is astounding. Quiet operation and a self cleaning drain are key.

I found in the old GE, when it quit cleaning, it was due to the filter being plugged. There is a raised cover in the back of the dishwasher, you have to pull out the bottom rack to get to it. Remove the 3 screws, pull the cover, pull the screen and clean everything. I found a wet/dry vac helpful in removing the large debris and standing water trapped in the drain.

12. Borla

Thanks to Zweiblumen, I did that cleaning step this AM. Thanks to the article cyn posted (and comments attached to said article), I ordered some Lemi Shine off of Amazon. In the meantime, as soon as I accumulate enough dishes to wash a small load, I'll try the vinegar thing as well. :)

13. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

We have a Miele and are pretty happy with it. It is super quiet and mostly washes things well. There is a filter that is easily removed for cleaning. Also, it has a front panel that you can remove so that is can be painted to match your cupboards :)

14. snowy

We didn't have any problem with the plumbing, which is surprising, given that we live in a house built in 1929, and every other home improvement project we try ends up being a long, drawn-out process. In fact, I'd say that it took them longer to get the old dishwasher out than get the new one installed.

15. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

If you're still thinking about getting a new dishwasher, I'd recommend to consider buying a quiet one.

We had problems at work with a minor thing: the spoon rack was broken on several spots in the bottom, so cutlery would fall through and prevent the jet from rotating. It was so frustrating, since the bottom tray dishes didn't get washed properly.

16. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

the meile has a shelf for the cutlery - you lay them all out side by side - no basket for them, so you avoid the possibility of breaking the basket.

17. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Bosch, 10 years ago we replaced the original 15 year old builder installed cheapie...I never realised how quiet a d/w could be until the Bosch.
    We use Cascade Complete, the little packets, no measuring powder and the dishes and glasses are sparkling...(now did I just jinx myself talking about it)

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

We use the Cascade with Dawn simply because we can get it in a ginormous container at Costco, but if I'm buying it at the store, I generally go for the Cascade Complete.

Also, Borla, are you using a rinse agent?

19. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

We also have a Bosch at the wife's insistence. While I'm not allowed to use it, it seems to do a good job and is also very quiet. I had no problem installing it myself in a log home where everything regarding plumbing is a pain.

20. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

huh. Maybe I was looking at an old model or the dude was telling me wrong. He kept telling me the plumbing had to be run in a track barely big enough for it and if you didn't run it in the said track it would just clog up and be useless. :shrug:

The electrolux we bought is super quiet, super efficient and gets the job done. The only thing is wasn't is cheap.