1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do we have any oenophiles here?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 3, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We're staying at the Silverado Resort and Spa, but prior to that, we're taking a week to travel down California's North Coast, and plan on going through Sonoma and the Russian River area. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you or the wine reps have.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Cool. Give me a week or so to hunt up some suggestions beyond the ones I've listed above.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Russian River.... definitely go to Coppola. Rodney Strong. Trentadu, Korbel.

4. snowy

Great piece from Wine Spectator on talking about wine: The Six Essential Wine Words | Drinking Out Loud | News & Features | Wine Spectator

Made me dream of opening one of my bottles from this place: Home | WC Winery They have such a unique terroir in their little corner of the Applegate that there is one layer of similar herbaceousness running through all of their wines. It's spectacular! It was fascinating to try their reds side by side and find that link.

I'm sad that I'm running low on one of my favorite pinot noirs: Girardet's '09 Barrel Select. For the price point, it's perfect. I am sitting on a lot of other pinots, though, and I have to drink them sometime. I'll probably stock up again at the Harvest Party (yay wine club discounts).

• Like Like x 1
  5. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i'm looking for good everyday wines, reds that hover around 10 a bottle. I've found some good Spanish and portuguese ones (and inevitably forget to write down the vineyards)....but am open to suggestion.

as a rule of thumb, i don't like cali reds because they are, in my experience, superficial parker-y things that wave hello quickly and disappear. i like more tannin than they typically have. think red burgundy, but more bourgeoil and less beaujolais...

thanks

6. snowy

Do you like Côtes du Rhône? If so, I have some recommendations for you. I don't have any bottles on hand at the moment, and can't remember the names of the wineries off the top of my head, but I'll write down the names when I'm at the store next.

7. Borla

You might try Bodega Sur de los Andes Bonarda (Argentina), La Quercia Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (Italy), or Murtia Monastrell Jumilla (Spain). They all are fairly robust and right around your budget. :cool:

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

montepulciano is a type, yes? i've been trying some of them...for the most part i like them, but find from time to time versions that lack a center. those i use for sauces. the quest for an every day wine is on-going: its much easier to find lovely wines from 15 and up. for example, i'm curiously fond of lachrima christi, and not just because it's made from the tears of jesus. anteca is a lovely malbec....i should start writing down vinyard/vintages i suppose.

thanks for the suggestions so far.

9. Borla

Yes, montepulciano is a type of grape, so you'll find various brands, but almost all of them are Italian. Italy is about the only place to grow that type of grape for wine to my knowledge.

You are correct about the $15 and up thing, I almost posted that in my first reply but didn't want to sound like a snob. :p IMO, there is currently a sweet spot around $15-18 where you can get a lot of good wines from South America and the Pacific Northwest.

10. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i reduced a montepulciano by 3/4 with some star anise in it and used it as the base for a sauce for a chinese dish with pork and snow peas. pretty good stuff. o, and a pinot grigio--especially one with a kind of granite quality to the flavor--is great for making carbonara. this is another way to track wine.

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I had a Medoc Mendoza the other night that had some heft and wasn't to pricey. Forget the label. Sorry.

12. What is oneophile???

13. Borla

An oenophile is someone who loves ('phile' = love) wine ('oeno' = wine).

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

Met an oenologist yesterday. Fun to talk to. He just retired from a career in academia. Mostly we discussed how wine has exploded across the United States.

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, don't you Americans go by enology (and therefore enologist and enophile)?

The oe/ae structure is typically a British (and sometimes Canadian) English thing (compare orthopaedic vs. orthopedic, anaesthetic vs. anesthetic, encyclopaedic vs. encyclopedic, paediatrics vs. pediatrics, etc.).

And, by the by, I actually really love ligatures: orthopædic, anæsthetic, encyclopædic, pædiatric, amœba, etc.

/wordnerd

• Like Like x 1
  16. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

wouldn't an enophile be a fan of brian? and an enologist his compulsive biographer?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Baraka_Guru

Rather!

18. snowy

This is why I prefer the British spelling.

19. Baraka_Guru

Well, duh.

20. snowy

I see what you did there.

• Like Like x 1