1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do we have any oenophiles here?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 3, 2011.

1. skitto

skitto Harmonic chaos redundancy limiter

I think Oregon must be a really great place for ferments, whatsoever.

Not only is there a place in Salem that makes Mead that actually lives up to its medieval origins of being a sweet treat, am I wrong?
    Then there's Bend, oh god is there ever Bend... small town feel, a few HUNDRED breweries in the area, plus they all gather to compare.
    There are hard ciders that taste like soda there, the beers that taste like maple, and wines from a winery called Naked.

2. Funkylamb

Funkylamb New Member

A wine lover.

3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Been on a Pinot Noir kick lately...found a nice one from Northern Italy.

My cousin & I go to wine tasting festivals around the Virginia area.
    Although I don't tend to prefer whites...I was really enjoying the variety of Chardonnays from the region this past season.
    Some with the buttery taste...but the one I truly noted my favorite was crisp and fresh...almost like a clear spring water.
    It seemed to energize me...instead of the relaxing feel I typically note from wines.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Pinot Noir from Northern Italy? Interesting.

Virginia is supposed to be the up-and-coming wine region in the United States. If crisp Chardonnay is your thing, look for ones aged in stainless instead of oak, and one that has not undergone malolactic fermentation. ML will give Chardonnay that buttery flavor (lactic acid + diacetyl). Aging on oak usually goes hand-in-hand with malolactic fermentation.

5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Northern Italy is one of the best Pinor Noir regions in the world. Sometimes it is called Pinot Nero when from there. And sometimes Pinots from there are disguised by German sounding vineyards since some of the parts of Northern Italy where good Pinot is from were once part of Austria, like Alto Adige (aka Trentino-Südtirol). Between the German sounding names or the bottles labeled by region instead of grape it can be disguised, but it is true Pinot Noir. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowy

Living here, most Italian wine I see is from other regions, largely because we have such a huge home-grown Pinot Noir market. I daresay I'd have to really go out of my way to find one.

7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Considering how solid and affordable Pinots are in Oregon, that doesn't surprise me. :D

8. snowy

Yeah, I'm a little spoiled.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

Reorganized the cellar today after bringing home a bottle of Sangiovese from a local nanowinery (I mean nano, the guy makes wine in his garage, about 250 cases annually). It was his new release, and it is a little tight, so it went into my extended cellaring box, which meant I had to shuffle some other wines.

I've got about 44 bottles of wine at the moment, which doesn't include any of my dessert wines.

I should drink more!

10. Friends mum made lovely elderflower wine. Some of the old home made stuff had a kick - blackberry wine I used to like. Remember one year the demijohns in the kitchen sort of - got too full of themselves and it went all over the place when it should have been resting. Last year dad was allowed to brew any.
    A brewer made lamb roast dinner beer for St Davids day this year.

11. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

When I was still drinking, we couldn't really get into wines. I wasn't fond of white wine, much preferred red, but my wife was and is violently allergic (I'll spare you the details) to most red wines.

12. snowy

Interesting piece in Salon on trying to quantify flavor in wine, and taste in general:

Wine needs its Nate Silver: Can we quantify and more accurately describe how alcohol tastes? - Salon.com

• Like Like x 1
  13. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

So, all this swirling sniffing and posturing is .................
    (disclaimer) I'm not a wine drinker, mostly I'll have a a glass if the "others" order a bottle at dinner.....

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Is it bad that I'm eyeballing my bottle of 2009 Simi Cab at 6:30 in the morning? Because I started that at about 5...

15. snowy

No, it's more about that you should drink what you like, since we can't agree precisely on flavor.

That said, I think when you taste wine with one person enough, your palates tune to the other person's palate. I can drink something strawberry and pass it off to my husband, and he'll be all, "Yeah. Strawberry." He has a supersniffer, so he's actually the one tuning my palate versus the other way around. That conversation is the fun part of tasting wine, though.

The swirling and sniffing are to open up the bouquet of the wine, as smell and taste are two senses that go together. Sniffing the wine first helps deepen the taste experience.

And @noodle, no. You're excused--because graduate school.

16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

My wife & I had a wine conflict. I didn't care for white wine, I much preferred red wine. She liked white wine and red wine, but couldn't drink most red wines because of a severe & immediate allergic reaction (I'll spare you the details). Our compromise was inexpensive box wines, with the occassional spurge (within limits) on decent white wine.

I was glad that the local large liquor store (think eyeglasses) used the cards showing the wine magazines ratings.

17. snowy

We went wine tasting this weekend in a completely new region to us, tasting some AVAs we were relatively unfamiliar with. It was on the whole a good experience. 2/3 wineries were really amazing. The other, though, disappointed me--not in the wines, but in the customer service. Wine tasting is a social transaction in many ways, as you have to interact with the tasting room staff and sometimes with the people around you; at this particular winery, we were ignored a couple of times by the staff in a crowded tasting room; normally, I could understand that, but this place was small, and he was only pouring for 3/4 small groups, us included. He also almost completely skipped a pour because he was so easily distracted; he went off to get the right bottle, forgot what he was doing, and then came back 10 minutes later, asking if I was ready for the cab sauv when he'd gone to get the malbec. It was probably the worst winery experience I'd had in a very, very long time; actually, it might be worst experience I've ever had. My husband and I are avid tasters of wine, so I've been to lots of different tasting rooms all over Oregon in three different regions and a multitude of AVAs, and I've never had someone that distracted serve me. Plus, the guy was reciting the same thing over and over again about the wines, and speaking loudly enough in a small room that we could easily hear him; he added nothing new to his spiel as he went along. I prefer tasting room employees who can speak organically about their wine.

This place was sandwiched by two amazing wineries--Syncline and Domaine Pouillon. Syncline Winery Domaine Pouillon Winery, Lyle WA. 509.365.2795 At Syncline, the tasting room was staffed by total wine nerds and we had a great time really getting into the finer points of Provencal roses, Cote du Rhone, cement vat fermentation, and wine tasting in the Willamette Valley. I was wearing an Oregon State shirt, so that was an instant conversation starter; once people found out we were from pinot noir country, we talked a lot about terroir and microclimates. Their rose was fabulous! We took a bottle home; it was a rose my husband actually liked--notes of strawberry with a touch of honey at the back, bright acidity, and a dry finish. I would have also taken home their Subduction Red; it was done in the Cotes du Rhone style, and it was very cool to try one of my favorite styles of wine made closer to home. At Domaine Pouillon, we took home their Black Dot, a red blend. The notes for this wine state:

I love it when a winemaker has freedom to do that. Wine is artistry in wines like these.

They also had their own take on Cotes du Rhone, and it was very good too; I was hard-pressed to decide between the two, but ultimately went with the more unique wine that I felt captured the terroir of the AVA we were tasting in with a spicy herbaceousness in the back.

I was glad to have time to engage in one of my favorite pastimes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. snowy

We drank a bottle of 2012 Pinot Gris from Girardet earlier. It was their last vintage where they pursued a demi sec style. Their next vintage is supposed to be dry.

19. snowy

Ummm, and now we've moved on to the 2011 riesling. Holy hell, I never thought I'd see the day when my husband actually drank and liked a riesling. It tastes like key lime pie.

Wine clubs FTW.

20. snowy

Costco has been regularly carrying Rogue Red from Valley View Winery in the Applegate Valley for $9.99. It's nice, soft, fruity, with a hint of spice at the back. I pick up a bottle pretty much every time I go to Costco; it's a good everyday wine.

I love my husband's attitude about it: "I'm glad you've found a wine you like that's so cheap." Hah. I find it funny that our "cheap" wine is a $10 bottle. We've come up in the world.

I could go cheaper. Pontificis from Trader Joe's is fantastic for $8, but TJ's was closed today due to a random power outage. It's a grenache-syrah-mourvedre blend, ala Cote du Rhone, but from Vin Pays d'Oc, Languedoc-Rousillon, and that mere change in geography saves a buck. Though if you like a good Cote du Rhone, Domaine de la Mavette is really good, and usually runs about $9.